I flew into a cloud once

U

Unregistered

Actually it was a pretty big cloud. I had stopped in Nebraska where it was VFR. I looked at a weather computer and there was some rain in Minnesota and I wanted to fly my first actual IFR (I had just gotten my rating). The weather briefer said "it was just rain, no thunder or lightening, so no thunderstorm". It was clear below 7000' and cloudy on up.

So I filed and requested 11000' altitude. I got my clearance and took off and climbed up to 11000' in my Aviat Husky (equipped with an IFR GPS, a VOR/GS and an autopilot) and all was well. I entered some clouds and o boy, this was for real. I left the clouds and ahead I could see a towering cumulonimbus. I know NOW that it is a towering cumulonimbus, then all I knew was it was a damn big TALL sucker. Well, I said to myself, he said it was "just rain", must be ok. So in I went. It got dark. It started raining. I was doing fine, watching the instruments when I noticed I lost 200'. I trimmed to correct and looked up. My front window was COMPLETELY covered with ICE. I looked out the side window, and the leading portion of my wing was covered with ice. Hmm, I said, got ice. If you have ice, tell ATC the little man inside my head said.

"Center", this is Husky xxx and I just picked up a load of ice" says I. "Oh, what kind of ice is it and what is the temperature?" says Center. What kind of ice? What am I, an ice expert? "I dunno, and the thermometer says 34 degrees F, but that cant be right, thing never was very accurate." replies I. So Center asks me what I want to do. "Go lower", was my Einsteinian reply. So he says "Husky xxx, CRUISE Crystal 3000' (cant really remember the name of the waypoint but it was near Crystal airport) (not sure about the 3000' either, might have been 5000'). Brain Freeze. 'Cruise', what is that I think? Never heard that one. So I read it back, and said, "well ok, I read it back, but I don't know what to do with the airplane" I complained. So he had to splain it to me right there on the frequency for all the pro pilots to hear ha ha ha I bet they got a good laugh outa that one!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, the ice all slid off at once at 7000'.

Holy mackerel. Beats how I flew a pass under clouds while on my long solo XC and Approach on the other side said "huh, you were the first one come through the pass today".

Brain Freeze. 'Cruise', what is that I think? Never heard that one. So I read it back, and said, "well ok, I read it back, but I don't know what to do with the airplane" I complained. So he had to splain it to me right there on the frequency for all the pro pilots to hear ha ha ha I bet they got a good laugh outa that one!!!!!!!!!!

What does it/did they mean?

What does it/did they mean?

from the AIM:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/aim0404.html

3. The term “cruise” may be used instead of “MAINTAIN” to assign a block of airspace to a pilot from the minimum IFR altitude up to and including the altitude specified in the cruise clearance. The pilot may level off at any intermediate altitude within this block of airspace. Climb/descent within the block is to be made at the discretion of the pilot. However, once the pilot starts descent and verbally reports leaving an altitude in the block, the pilot may not return to that altitude without additional ATC clearance.

I have no problems at all flying up and down the Valley at or below 6,000 feet in solid IMC (done it many times.)

Above 10K? Forget it. Been bitten once.

I'm not sure we're not being trolled by the OP here. The story indicates idiocy in more ways than one.

When I looked out the side window at my pitot tube, there was a 6" long pencil LEAD thin string of ice coming out of the tube and sticking into the airstream, and, get this, my airspeed still worked! (Husky didn't have pitot heat).

"A smart man leans from his own mistakes, a WISE man learns from OTHER PEOPLE'S mistakes"

When I looked out the side window at my pitot tube, there was a 6" long pencil LEAD thin string of ice coming out of the tube and sticking into the airstream, and, get this, my airspeed still worked! (Husky didn't have pitot heat).

"A smart man leans from his own mistakes, a WISE man learns from OTHER PEOPLE'S mistakes"

A smart man leans out the side window and scrapes that ice off the pitot tube:rofl:

Last edited:
Chuck Norris doesn't need to deice his pitot tube. Ice is too scared to go near his airplane.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back