I flew 33 approaches to minimums tonight!

Dave Theisen

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Theisen
In the sim.

FAA, Mitre Corp, and Flight Safety are conducting a research project about the feasibility of GPS LPV approaches with low minimums for smaller airports. As a qualified and current King Air 200 pilot, I was eligible to participate. I really can't say too much about the details, but it was cool to be one of about 500 pilots who will be part of the study.

Plus who else is going to pay you $250 to play a video game? :D

Last edited:
I don't know about the sim, but after the 6th approach to minimums I'd have a severe headache. I usually get one about #4.

It really wasn't too bad. I wasn't doing full procedures. I was set up at the FAF on on a five mile final in approach configuration. The testing was more focused on the transition to visual with non standard and lower than standard runways and lighting that you would find at smaller airports.

oops, they paid me for this.. Don't worry, my company pays them plenty to send us there for training.

did they throw in several with varying x-winds?

i did a gps lpv last night and even with the big green needle saying "look over there" it was pretty dark in front of the plane holding a 20 degree correction when i broke out a small town airport

Back