I feel like such a...

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...whore. (Can I say that here?) I had to rent a plane tonight, and I just feel...dirty. Of course some of that might have to do with flying a pig. I feel that the Beech Sierra needs to be renamed the Suuuuuuueeeeeyerra, because that thing is just well...it's a flying pig. Ugh, I would NEVER, and I mean NEVER buy anything from the BE24 series after flying that tug. My Cherokee cruises just as fast, it climbs better, it uses less runway, it glides better, and it feels lighter on the controls. That's right a Cherokee, with the hershey bar wings feels light on the controls compared to something.

Luckily I only have 7.7 hours left to fly in it. Ugh, I need a H2SO4 shower now to get the funk off.

and the cigar in the middle too huh!!!! hah hah hah...im reading the rod machado books and thats the way he put it....hurshey bar for wings and sigar in the middle.

N2212R said:
...whore. (Can I say that here?) I had to rent a plane tonight, and I just feel...dirty. Of course some of that might have to do with flying a pig. I feel that the Beech Sierra needs to be renamed the Suuuuuuueeeeeyerra, because that thing is just well...it's a flying pig. Ugh, I would NEVER, and I mean NEVER buy anything from the BE24 series after flying that tug. My Cherokee cruises just as fast, it climbs better, it uses less runway, it glides better, and it feels lighter on the controls. That's right a Cherokee, with the hershey bar wings feels light on the controls compared to something.

Luckily I only have 7.7 hours left to fly in it. Ugh, I need a H2SO4 shower now to get the funk off.

Funny to read and I know how you feel. I'm confused though I guess because I thought ALL aircraft are whores, because after all they won't do much of anything useful without you give them money. The 50 dollar pigs will fly some ways, and the 1000 dollar whores fly some other ways!

The real problem is, you are used to flying a tonka toy, now you have had a chance to fly a real airplane and just dont know what it is really llike, that be24 is more stable than your paper product, requires less control input in all phases of flight, and if flown properly will go anywhere your paper will go with greater ease and much less effort.

find a cfi that knows the airplane and is not along just for the ride and have him show you what it can do.

2200 hrs giving instruction in mice, 800 in papers, mouse will produce much better pilots, i will not instruct in a 150.

Last edited:
wesleyj said:
... snip ...
2200 hrs giving instruction in mice, 800 in papers, mouse will produce much better pilots, i will not instruct in a 150.

Why do you call it "paper" ?

wesleyj said:
The real problem is, you are used to flying a tonka toy, now you have had a chance to fly a real airplane and just dont know what it is really llike, that be24 is more stable than your paper product, requires less control input in all phases of flight, and if flown properly will go anywhere your paper will go with greater ease and much less effort.

find a cfi that knows the airplane and is not along just for the ride and have him show you what it can do.

A Cessna 150?

tdager said:
A Cessna 150?

Maybe, or he was talking about the Cherokee line. I have a 180. And it uses MUCH MUCH MUCH less runway that the Sierra does. So I don't know about this "they will go anywhere" that he claims. I would NOT take that thing into a 1700 grass strip with 50' trees on the end, but I have with my 180.

N2212R said:
My Cherokee cruises just as fast, it climbs better, it uses less runway, it glides better, and it feels lighter on the controls. That's right a Cherokee, with the hershey bar wings feels light on the controls compared to something.

Everything has it's niche. A Sierra/Mouse is the ride of choice for someone who values comfort over speed and is somewhat challenged in the waistline dimension. That fact that they have pleasantly light and harmonious controls just adds icing on the cake, but if it's not your favorite flavor of cake the icing gets unnoticed. There's a similar tradeoff between speed and comfort in the Commanders and Socata singles as well along with some other pluses and minuses that make them very appealing to certain folk and worthless to others.

Given your stature, I doubt that the extra cabin width means much to you.

lancefisher said:
Everything has it's niche. A Sierra/Mouse is the ride of choice for someone who values comfort over speed and is somewhat challenged in the waistline dimension. That fact that they have pleasantly light and harmonious controls just adds icing on the cake, but if it's not your favorite flavor of cake the icing gets unnoticed. There's a similar tradeoff between speed and comfort in the Commanders and Socata singles as well along with some other pluses and minuses that make them very appealing to certain folk and worthless to others.

Having not flown a Sierra, I can only say this:

I am fat. Fat fat fat. Fatty fat fat. And the Cherokee 180 fits me fine. Did I mention that I'm fat?

I can't see how anyone could be too fat for a Cherokee 180.

SkyHog said:

I am fat. Fat fat fat. Fatty fat fat. And the Cherokee 180 fits me fine. Did I mention that I'm fat?

LOL @ Nick!

I have never understood how Beech managed to build a 200hp retract that ran like a Cherokee. That said, they are big, have the best panel layout in the game, and are well screwed-together. Everyone I know who owns a mouse or mouse-derivative, loves it.

But I also prefer Cherokees, and have no trouble doing the up-finger-trim-twirl.

Edit: Nick- you are not THAT fat!

P.S.-

Ed:

I'll bet you $20.00 that your Cherokee can outrun a Sundowner.

especially with RATO packs on the wheel fairings...

SkyHog said:

Not sure about a Mouse, but the Sierra seems to have a HUGE cabin. (Unless I'm thinking of something else.)

AirBaker said:
Not sure about a Mouse, but the Sierra seems to have a HUGE cabin. (Unless I'm thinking of something else.)

Same as the Mouse. The main difference between them is the Sierra can tuck it's wheels (partially) into the wings.

lancefisher said:

Funny you should say that, because the 'it's roomier' statement appears everywhere. So much so that I broadened my plane search to include sundowners. Then, I hauled my fat arse down to check one out and, lo and behold, it felt as laterally small as the Warriors I've been flying. Yeah, yeah, I know that the numbers say it's 4 inches wider, but it sure didn't feel that way to me. Plus, I found that I really did not prefer to have that panel so far away from me. Granted, the extra door was nice, but not nice enough to overlook the other downsides. It was OK in flight, but not spectacularly different than the warrior (and actually, felt like a dog in the climb compared to the 160hp warrior). The trip actually confirmed, for me, that the cherokee 180 is probably the right plane for me.

SkyHog said:

I'm with Spike there Nick, you are NOT fat. As my wife says "you ain't fat you just fluffy"
Don

N2212R said:
...whore. (Can I say that here?) I had to rent a plane tonight, and I just feel...dirty. Ugh, I would NEVER, and I mean NEVER buy anything from the BE24 series after flying that tug. My Cherokee cruises just as fast, it climbs better, it uses less runway, it glides better, and it feels lighter on the controls. That's right a Cherokee, with the hershey bar wings feels light on the controls compared to something.

I know exactly how you feel. Every so often you have to be reminded how good the plane is that you own. For me, I rent a Piper to see how good I got it.:goofy:

NC Pilot said:
Every so often you have to be reminded how good the plane is that you own.
Every time I fly, I look out at those stubby little wings and that teeny rectangle of forward visibility (if the front seat is empty, that is) and I think, "I can't BELIEVE this is my airplane." And then I bank it 60 degrees with barely a flick of the wrist and I realize that all is right with the world.

SkyHog said:

Nick, large you are, but fat fat fat? Not. You should see some of the big boys I work with here in Tennessee...

SCCutler said:
LOL @ Nick!
Everyone I know who owns a mouse or mouse-derivative, loves it.

Count me in on that one!

As far as the handling is concerned, The consensus of the ABS (Airport Bums Society) Lunch Bunch is that they are light, sure and responsive. Everyone who has some time in one wishes they had one.

The original Beech sub-Bonanza single line (BE19/23) started out being called the Muskateer series. Later, they changed the names to the Sport (BE19), Sundowner (BE23), and Sierra (BE24), but they are essentially the same airframe as the "Mouse" line.

Seriously though, what did you really think....;)

I had the exact opposite impression when I compared Archers to Sundowners (I can't imagine a B24 differs significantly.) The Sundowner handling, IMHO, is much more responsive. I admit, the oleos on Cherokees can absorb landings that would send Mice bouncing to the moon. Plus, I wouldn't take mine into anything shorter than 2400ft, and I'd think twice about 2400, whereas I've done Butter Valley Golf Port in an Archer without using up the whole asphalt portion of the strip. Still, I had to fly an Archer a few weeks ago and was very unhappy. Sloppy on the ground and in the air.

I can't believe you found the Warrior cabin to be comparable -- try riding with someone up front with you in both planes. If you still don't think the Sierra is wider, well.... :D Let's face it -- NOTHING in GA is truly "spacious," it's all relative to something else. The Sundowner/Sierra/Mouse line is "spacious" relative to most, but you'd never mistake them for, say, a 747 cabin.

To each his own. Nothing like flying a different plane and finding that you like yours better!

No complaints about the cabin size, just everything else. :)

not fair to compare sierra to 180, compare sierra to straight tailed arrow, compare 180 to sundowner, i will take a sundowner anywhere you can take a 180 and get in and out shorter,

N2212R said:
Maybe, or he was talking about the Cherokee line. I have a 180. And it uses MUCH MUCH MUCH less runway that the Sierra does. So I don't know about this "they will go anywhere" that he claims. I would NOT take that thing into a 1700 grass strip with 50' trees on the end, but I have with my 180.

wesleyj said:
150=useless waste of aluminum and absolutely the poorest excuse for an airplane ever built

Not really. It's a great trainer. There is a pretty huge difference in a cross wind between a 150 and a 172. The 150 will train you to be a better stick & rudder pilot from the start. It serves it's purpose well.

If I were going to buy an airplane, It wouldn't be a 150. But I wouldn't complain if I had one.

Ken Ibold said:
Every time I fly, I look out at those stubby little wings and that teeny rectangle of forward visibility (if the front seat is empty, that is) and I think, "I can't BELIEVE this is my airplane." And then I bank it 60 degrees with barely a flick of the wrist and I realize that all is right with the world.
Hehehehe. Life is good.

wesleyj said:
150=useless waste of aluminum and absolutely the poorest excuse for an airplane ever built

hehehe
I had a glider pilot once tell me that he loved flying 150's. Get up to altitude, shut off the engine and go gliding. Said for a power plane with the wings in the wrong place, it made a fairly decent sailplane.

And we're pretty happy with ours. Not a whole lot of room in it, but it isn't very thirsty, either.

wesleyj said:

What nonsense.

Form follows functions, of which the C150 has many and it's why that basic form is so often used in aircraft design.

Bah Dave, let him rant. He's just mad that I'd be in and out of the competition field and 1/2 way home by the time he's making his initial call up in the Slowdowner.

Sheesh, what's with the 150-bashing ? I love to rent 'em, and not just cause their cheap. I'll admit that I'm not latitudinally challenged and feel nice and cozy in the cockpit (not too tight), but I always bring along a cushion cause the seats are usually shot. The 150/152 is quite responsive to fly, being so light (much more than the 172), and glides great like someone said .... I like to practise forced landings when I can. Great downwards vis for photography, too.

I admit I'll never get my wife to go up in one, the 172 is her absolute minimum comfort- and size-wise.

Has anyone flown a 152 with a 160 HP Lycoming in it ? There's one at RNM. What a blast that is, climbs like a cat chased by a coyote ! Lots of right rudder called for, unlike the standard version.

Back