I failed.......

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
....my IPC. I'm always nervous, for some silly reason, as if it's a check ride. So I started off rough, as usual, and then settled in. Went IFR to another field, and ATC immediately thru in some unexpected curve balls. Worked thru those and proceeded with executing several nice approaches.

Oh, and did I mention the winds are really sucky today, so I was working my a** off.

Final approach was partial panel, and the CFI took everything away.....no toys to help. All was going well, intecepted the course, did the procedure turn, headed back in, crossed the FAF, and then........brainfart. I drifted off course, and I couldn't pull it back together again. :mad:

End result.......I get to go back up tomorrow and partial panel my brains away.....:eek:

And wasn't it just a year ago that I was whining cause I couldn't make my fancy boxes work, but I could execute a beautiful partial panel. Sheesh!!!

Kaye, you didn't fail. You discovered where you needed to shake a little more rust off and have made plans to do just that. Sounds like success to me!

Grant took the words right outta my mouth. It is not a check ride; it's a practice, evaluation and remediation opportunity.

Yeah, there's no pass/fail here. Did your other tasks go well, so all you need is to get your partial panel rust off?

You can't fail and IPC so don't worry, you just need some more practice and the IPC is all about identify that you need that practice.

My last IPC II completely blew getting to the NDB for an approach. Instead of using the ADF itself I was using the GPS and when the CFI turned the GPS off I was lost and had to ask for vectors to go around and reintercept.

Personally, I would rather take a second IPC flight and know the stuff than face it for real and not know it.

yea yea yea it's just another reason to go flying again tomorrow. Well, that what my wife would say.

Personally, I would rather take a second IPC flight and know the stuff than face it for real and not know it.
Ditto what Ken wrote.

Consider this: Most folks avoid an IPC, instead flying 6 approaches, holds, and tracking every 6 months. The average "current" instrument pilot rarely (if ever) does a partial panel approach. Most of those "current" pilots discover what you did only after the gyro or vacuum pump fails in IMC, and too many then kill themselves and their passengers as a result. Would you rather find the soft spot now and fortify it? Or would you prefer to find it later and have it pulverized?

IOW, good for you on getting an IPC; don't worry about finding some soft spots--that's the purpose of getting an IPC.

Yeah, I know you can't "fail" it. It's just my first time to not get a sign-off. I do IPC's every 6 months since I don't fly that much "real" stuff and know I need the workout. And I totally agree, glad we found the weak spot now......not later. :yes:

Kaye

I'm proud of you for doing the IPC as you are. Many folks don't do one at all. Great stuff! Keep at it.

Best,

Dave

So you hooked a progress check, no biggie. Just keep studying and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know you can't "fail" it. It's just my first time to not get a sign-off. I do IPC's every 6 months since I don't fly that much "real" stuff and know I need the workout. And I totally agree, glad we found the weak spot now......not later. :yes:

Kaye

Next time will be a charm! We still haven't flown together, what's up with that? (then again I've flown only twice since my solo... :eek: )

I know two full professors of Molecular Genetics, both of whom are super-bright guys, that got pink slips the first time out. No harm, no foul, no shame. You're still way ahead of me.

When people ask me "how long does an IPC take", I say well in about 1.2 we can prove that you didn't need an IPC, if that doesn't work it depends on what we find.

All you did was show that you needed this one.

Joe

When people ask me "how long does an IPC take", I say well in about 1.2 we can prove that you didn't need an IPC, if that doesn't work it depends on what we find.

Joe
Good answer.
I get IPCs every six months myself. Last one I did, I could not for the life of me remember how to enter a hold. Instructor explained what I did wrong, we zipped off to another airport for an approach and hold, and I nailed it. Glad I screwed it up there instead of in IMC.
BTW, I've had my IR for two years now, and I have yet to fly an actual approach. I've flown IMC en route, but no approaches. I'm still too chicken. I hope to remedy that over the next year or so.

Wow! What state are you in? :)

Uh state of denial :rofl:?

Kidding. There were times I went for awhile without shooting an approach, but I wasn't flying much. No need to push things if he's not flying for a living. I've been at several different proficiency levels over the years, just never flew into things with which I couldn't proficiently deal. (so much for proper grammatical construction---yuck!).

Best,

Dave

Wow! What state are you in? :)

MA. Plenty of IMC here. I just don't need to get anywhere all that often where I'd need to go if it's IFR. Mostly I fly VFR only traffic watch.
I'm sure I can do an approach, but it's like I said, I'm just a bit chicken. I'll get over it.

It's done....got the sign-off....partial panel start to finish....I'm beat...

But I did myself proud! :D

mastering partial panel is a very satisfying feeling. good work Kaye, see you in a few days.

Kaye:

Here's another person that didn't complete a check ride (a bit different), but he's going up for another ride <g>

Best,

Dave

As reported by the Daily Bulletin:

Back in the saddle
Student in crash to try flight test again
By Mark Petix and Megan Blaney, Staff Writers
Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
Article Launched:06/07/2007 12:44:59 AM PDT
UPLAND - Don't ever call Vishal Choudhry a quitter.
The 18-year-old Indian man who was trying to earn his pilot's license when the plane he was in crashed into three homes Monday will give it another shot.

Video: Upland Plane Crash
Photo Gallery: Upland Plane Crash
Audio: 911 tapes of the Upland plane crash
Steve Rez, owner of the Aero Club flight school in Van Nuys where the ill-fated Piper Seneca was based, said Choudhry will likely take his test, or checkflight, Saturday or Monday.
"Well, he has a job waiting for him in India," Rez said. "So we're going to take another checkflight."

Choudhry failed his first checkflight and was giving it a second try when the twin-engine plane carrying him, flight instructor Eli Tousson, 54, and Vijay Dsouza, 34, crashed into three homes on West Blossom Circle.

The plane bounced off the first two homes and landed on the garage roof of the third.

The three men suffered only minor to moderate injuries. No one else was injured.

Rez said he has no misgivings about giving Choudhry one more chance.

"Pilots are in great need in India and China," he said. "They have thousands of openings, and the pilots need to be trained."

An attempt to locate Choudhry for comment was unsuccessful.

Rez said he believes the flight instructor was probably responsible for the crash. He said Tousson apparently turned off one engine to simulate a stall.

When Choudhry failed to regain control, Tousson was not able to pull the plane out of the stall in time.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said Tousson has a top-notch flight rating.

"It's the highest rating you can get," Gregor said. "It means you're qualified to fly commercially. You have to have more experience flying in inclement conditions, flying at night, things like that.

"That's the Cadillac of pilot ratings."

Highly rated or not, Rez said a different instructor will fly with Choudhry.

Yes, Choudhry will be taking the same route from Van Nuys Airport to Cable Airport as he did Monday.

"Hopefully, he will be able to pass this time," Rez said.

Staff writer Will Bigham contributed to this report.

Staff writer Mark Petix can be reached by e-mail at mark.petix@dailybulletin.com, or by phone at (909) 483-9355.

the cadillac of pilot ratings...top notch....kill engine to simulate a stalll....wow

Yep!! I certainly was impressed. Probably will begin work on my Cadillac rating immediately! Hey, didn't you want to ride in the P-Baron!! I've got an idea <evil grin>

Wonder if one has to be in Detroit to get the sign off?

Best,

Dave

bring your logbook dave. ill put something about cadillac training in there :)

I know two full professors of Molecular Genetics, both of whom are super-bright guys, that got pink slips the first time out. No harm, no foul, no shame. You're still way ahead of me.
You can't be thinking of tumor suppressor gene rearrangements up there like those gene jocks must have been .... ;) (sorry for the X-post,just kidding, my bad)

Ed: that was a great post. I would be one of those "non-No Gyro" instrument approach practice guys. Hmmmm, next time I fly with a Safety Pilot in right I'll get him to inop one thing or another at a critical moment, just like my cunning Examiner did! You've got to make it interesting, it's true.

Back