I failed my Initial Commercial Multi Checkride Oral- ACS Standards?

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Probablyflying, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Probablyflying

Probablyflying Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    ProbablyFlying
    Error

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  2. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Sounds like a nice guy.

3. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    As far as legitimacy of the questions, does the ACS state that questions have to be specific to the aircraft used for the checkride?

As far as not knowing the answers, you’re claiming the time, you should have a reasonable knowledge of the airplane. The questions you mentioned really aren’t that deep.

KA550 likes this.
  4. mandm

mandm Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Michael
    Have you used this examiner before? Who knows what happened but sounds like a bad day and a bit of an ego competition. Be humble, offer the opportunity to look up the answers and mention where and how you’d find them instead of guessing. I would be thrown off if being questioned on another aircraft too, I do fly different types of aircraft but it doesn’t mean I memorized everything about each one either.

5. mandm

mandm Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Michael
    So what happened?
    Get all of your data for the planes you flown and try again. The oral checkride is open book.

6. Tarheelpilot

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Why post about it if you already have a plan and have formulated an opinion of the examiner?

7. Tarheelpilot

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    I wouldn’t. The likelihood of it going anywhere is slim.

Rgbeard likes this.
  8. Clip4

Clip4 Final Approach

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    I think the examiner was absolutely correct. Duties of PIC time means there is a CFI on board in an aircraft you otherwise are fully capable of flying solo. This means you know the POH, systems, ect.

MauleSkinner likes this.
  9. texasclouds

texasclouds Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Mark
    Pick yourself up, study hard, and try again with another examiner. Better show up being able to talk about the planes you log time in.

10. Jared V

Jared V Pre-Flight

Display name:
    DesertSkylane
    Can we hear his side of the story?

Daleandee likes this.
  11. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    How do you do the duties of PIC without knowing enough about the airplane’s systems to describe them, even in very general terms?

Based on your description, it sounds to me like the examiner noticed a distinct lack of professionalism from someone who wants to be a professional pilot.

KA550 and tonycondon like this.
  12. Brad Z

Brad Z Final Approach

Display name:
    Brad Z
    What did I miss?

13. Rgbeard

Rgbeard En-Route

Display name:
    rgbeard
    whining.

14. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    “The examiner had it in for me.”

KA550 likes this.
  15. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast
    When I interview someone for an engineering job, they can expect to be quizzed about anything they wrote on their resume. If you say you have done something it's fair game for detailed questions.

Same thing here.

16. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    Well I’m certainly happy they didn’t ask questions about types I flew in the past. There were numerous, and some were years before the checkride (using ATP as a reference. Did in a Seneca… assuming type rides don’t count for questions about other planes).
    Who remembers a V speed from a plane they flew 10 years ago?

Personally I think he was just a jerk.

Tarheelpilot likes this.
  17. Deelee

Deelee Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Deelee
    Uh oh. Did you reboot? Make sure it was plugged in?

Always intriguing when people delete the post, but leave the topic up... What was the issue with this guy?

Rgbeard likes this.
  18. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    Apparently remembering V speeds from an airplane you flew last week, and intend to continue flying, is unreasonable, too.

19. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    Where is the cutoff? And although I’m not typed in the CE-525, my guess is the CJ does not publish a Vno.

20. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast
    I guess @Probablyflying didn't like the replies, since the original post is gone. Wonder if he's on some other forum complaining POA is unfair.....

21. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    I don’t know where the cutoff is, but stating that the airplane was there to fulfill the requirements of “duties of PIC”, but it’s only XC time and one doesn’t need to know the systems seems like a pretty good indicator to me.

KA550 likes this.
  22. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast
    We're only hearing one side. The DPE may have had good reason to suspect some exaggeration of experience

Jared V likes this.
  23. MauleSkinner

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    We’re not even hearing one side anymore. ;)

Half Fast likes this.
  24. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    I do not completely disagree. Not saying this was the case with the OP, but I do feel there is too much time logging under the guise of instruction, or a right seat guy who works at the FBO and dumps the lav in exchange for right seat time (without truly learning the airplane).

SkyDog58 likes this.
  25. ja_user

ja_user Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Sam
    Not only that, but you are required to talk about and have knowledge about systems and conditions that you may never have been anywhere near.
    Over water commercial ops, part 91 ops vs part 135, Icing, FIKI, Pressurization, Medical Factors, Endorsements for High Altitude...

Oh hell, even departure and arrival procedures in the midwest. (Which you won't get until you are well into the Teens, so turboprops or maybe turbo pistons..)

But then again, the OP deleted their post. So who knows?

26. ja_user

ja_user Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Sam
    Perhaps he didn't remember anything else about the plane? How much time did he log in this plane? Was it 1 hour or 100, and how much did he know.

We will never know.

27. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast
    When I took my PP checkride, I was flying a Tecnam LSA that had a G3X Touch; no steam gauges. But that didn't stop the DPE from asking me about vacuum systems. I was on Basic Med, but he still asked about renewals for a Class 3.

28. ja_user

ja_user Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Sam
    It's almost like you were tested for your license, and not what you brought that day?

29. RussR

RussR En-Route

Display name:
    Russ
    I'm not as hard over as some of the others on being able to remember every detail of every airplane you've ever flown. But if I remember the OP's case, he or she had been flying a 414 as PDPIC to count for some of the training hours, though they took the checkride in a Seneca. Well, for "performing the duties as PIC", the CFI is intended to sit there and not do anything or help. So, if you're logging PDPIC, you should be fully capable of flying the airplane yourself, you just have the CFI along for insurance purposes.

And being that it was recent time (if I remember right) and specifically being used toward the checkride requirements, I think it's completely fair game for questions on a checkride. Otherwise it very much does seem like padding. That time-building to meet the Comm requirements is supposed to be valuable time, not just checking a box by riding along and questionably logging it as PDPIC. I think the DPE was right to probe a little deeper and see if that was "real" time or just slightly more legit than pencil-whipping time.

There was also the issue of some time in a CJ. I forget how recent this was, but I feel that's a little different case (as long as they weren't trying to log it as PDPIC). There are a whole ton of pilots who have a couple hours of instruction in a CJ - it wouldn't be PIC time or even PDPIC time, but if the CJ is being flown single-pilot and the pilot is an MEI, then some "intro to jet operations"-type instruction is perfectly legal and can be useful training even if the trainee doesn't know everything about all the systems and speeds and whatever. And if the applicant does want to go on and fly CJs, they're going to have to get a type rating anyway, so they'll learn all that stuff in detail. So I think the DPE seeing an hour or two of CJ training and then asking anything more than "how was that? fun?" is out of place.

Of course, we heard only one side of the story, so who knows.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    SkyDog58, JoeSelch and Deelee like this.
  30. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast
  31. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast

Yeah, I need to get into the habit of quoting the original post so it can’t disappear.....
    ;)

TCABM likes this.
  32. Gary Ward

Gary Ward Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Challenger1

You screwed up and then you come on here hoping we will make you feel better.

You need to study, a lot and then take it again with the same DPE. If you run away from him you lose.

33. Gary Ward

Gary Ward Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Challenger1
    I read it yesterday...yes quoting it is always best in these cases.

34. Rgbeard

Rgbeard En-Route

Display name:
    rgbeard
    This place needs to be sprayed.

D32AE696-7924-4D0F-9554-DDEC8D7F6E72.jpeg

35. Lance F

Lance F En-Route

Display name:
    Lance F
    I legitimately used some glider cross country hours for my commercial and ATP certificates. It's been awhile, but I don't remember a single question in either oral about glider ops. (Just trying to put a little levity in this thread that has gone off the rails as most eventually do.)

Kritchlow, Rgbeard and RyanB like this.
  36. RussR

RussR En-Route

Display name:
    Russ
    And this is why I'd make a lousy DPE. I'd see that in your application and would spend the rest of the checkride being fascinated and asking you all about glider cross country flying.

37. iamtheari

iamtheari Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Ari
    One wonders how much differently this would have gone had the DPE asked the Vno in the CJ and the applicant answered, "I don't know that but if the plane has a published Vno we can find it in the POH. It definitely climbs better than the Seneca we're flying today!" The applicant here just gave his best guesses at the questions he didn't know. That fits into the hazardous attitudes that the FAA probably wants examiners to nip in the bud.

Of course, the real problem here was the 414 time. His boss is an MEI with a 414 who let the applicant log 10 hours of DPIC from the right seat, all in cruise, specifically for the purpose of getting to the check ride with less expense than actually paying for an airplane and instructor. If you're willing to pad your logbook like that, who's to say that you haven't done the same in other places?

JoeSelch and Half Fast like this.
  38. mondtster

mondtster En-Route

Display name:
    mondtster
    Using time earned in a different category wasn’t the situation here. Basically, the OP had a lot of time logged as dual received in cabin class twins without having a multi rating. While it isn’t uncommon to see some time logged that way, I’d consider it uncommon to have 100+ hours like that and holding no multi rating. Reading between the lines, I suspect the DPE assumed that the OP was sitting right seat and maybe running the radios while his boss was doing the flying. Since the OP was trying to earn a commercial certificate and was expected to know about things such as aircraft systems, limitations, and aeromedical factors, the DPE decided to ask about things related to other aircraft the OP was claiming time in, likely to check some boxes in the ACS and also determine if the OP was actually flying the airplane or just logging the time.

Admittedly, I don’t know that I could list off things like all the V speeds for every aircraft I regularly perfectly, so I can feel for the OP there. But I can most certainly get close on them and I can tell you about the systems for all the aircraft I regularly fly and many I don’t.

Id be curious to hear the DPE’s side of the story on this. I’m betting that if we knew his story, we’d find that he was being at least somewhat reasonable.

SkyDog58 likes this.
  39. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display name:
    Canis Non Grata
    Well, one typically wouldn’t have CE-414 PIC experience before getting their ME rating. That struck me as unusual. That is if I recall his post correctly.

Half Fast and mondtster like this.
  40. dmspilot

dmspilot Final Approach

Display name:
    Display name:
    Well that is disappointing.