I disappeared from the FAA Registry of Airmen

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by NoHeat, Nov 18, 2021.

1. NoHeat

NoHeat En-Route

Display name:
    Yesterday I finished updating my Basic Med record at AOPA, after taking the course two days earlier, then visiting the doctor yesterday and finally submitting to AOPA.

After all that, AOPA's website told me this:
    Course Completion Required by: Nov 2023
    Last course completion: 11/15/2021
    Last submission to FAA: 11/17/2021

So just to be sure, I checked the FAA Airman search, after searching for my name, expecting to see my new dates. But hey, I'm no longer there! My uncle is still listed there, despite being deceased for quite a few years, but I'm not.

So I'm wondering what happened. Does updating BasicMed info cause you to vanish even better than dying?

2. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    New Premium Subscription feature.... BasicStealth

NoHeat likes this.
  3. wrbix

wrbix Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    That’s what I’d consider keeping a low profile with the FAA - a good thing IMHO.

Flying beneath the radar so to speak.

NoHeat, ETres and WannFly like this.
  4. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I wish. I've been trying to get the FAA to stop illegally disseminating my information to the general public. Basic Med hasn't changed that.

I suspect you're just failing to search properly. If you told them to block your address, then do not put any part of an address in to search or you won't match.

It's criminal the FAA refuses to obey the law and allow pilots to opt out of having their sensitive information exposed (and they don't have authorization to release medical information).

Jim K and NoHeat like this.
  5. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    Not a good thing when a government disappears you.

NoHeat likes this.
  6. pdonahue

pdonahue Pre-Flight

Display name:
    pdonahue
    The database isn't always accurate anyway. I took the Mayo Clinic BasicMed course but the FAA database doesn't show it. I asked AOPA if this is a problem and they said that as long as I have the certificate it's fine. There's no requirement for me to tell the FAA about it, just to keep the certificate in my logbook (61.113(i)(3)).

7. Brad W

Brad W Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    BLW2
    Yeah, just looked up me...was suprised they had my basic med info in there....and the "issue date" was years more recent than my most recent address change re-issue...and is SIGNIFICANTLY off of the real issue date. I can't imagine where that non-sense came from....

8. Bill

Bill Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    I requested to opt out of the database search, and thus do not show up.

9. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Mark
  10. Mtns2Skies

Mtns2Skies En-Route

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    You can only opt out of releasing your address. You likely still show up in the database search. Just make sure you don't have a country selected when you search and you'll still show up.

11. flyingron

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I have done so countless times and am still there. When I inquire, I'm told they only allow opt out of email address.

12. Jack Cabano

Jack Cabano Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    1969 Cessna150J
    FTFY

For example many months ago, when planning to buy my airplane, I reserved a "new" registration number on-line.
    I was billed for that reservation in nano-seconds.
    A few weeks later I received by mail a letter confirming my reservation of the "new" number for 365 days from the date reserved.
    The seller's retention of the "old" number was included in the sales contract, and a copy was submitted with all other required paperwork to the FAA at closing.
    Eventually a paper 8050-64 form was received by mail, properly filled out, and returned.
    A new airworthiness certificate was received by mail from the FAA with my "new" registration number on it.
    --Maybe there is just a "tape delay," but months later...
    In the database I am not shown as "holding" the new number I have a mailed confirmation of having reserved from last August to next August.
    The aircraft still shows up in the FAA database under the previous number and previous owner, in spite of having received a new A/C.

13. NoHeat

NoHeat En-Route

Display name:
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

I had entered my name, along with -- and this was the problem -- selecting USA in the address pull-down, when I searched for myself. Following Ron's suggestion, I tried not selecting USA, but just leaving the country blank, and suddenly I showed up! I'm an Airman again.

Indeed, as Ron had guessed, I had requested that the FAA block my address -- the public FAA Airmen record for me includes a line, in red: "Airman opted-out of releasing address."

So the premise of this thread is all wrong. My disappearance had nothing at all to do with doing a Basic Med update -- it was just user error on my part. My bad!

By the way, including something in the address like USA seems to filter out a whole lot of people nowadays when you do a search. This is something I didn't notice, when I used the FAA Airmen search in previous years. For example, if you enter just the uncommon last name Lindbergh and nothing else in the search, you get 20 hits including Charles, who like me somehow has the entry "Airman opted-out of releasing address" (how did he do that?) But if you add USA and repeat the search, Charles vanishes along with more than half of the others, leaving only seven Lindberghs who have left their addresses visible to the world.

14. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Canis Non Grata
    Thus is the only part of Ron’s post that you need to read. It trips up many a person.

NoHeat likes this.
  15. Dave Arata

Dave Arata Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Dave
    bb.gif

16. flyingron

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I've been fighting this for years. Now that I'm retired (though not idle), I might file a federal lawsuit. This is pretty cut and dried, the FAA is intentionally violating the privacy act.

steingar likes this.
  17. Bill

Bill Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    Ayup, there I be!

18. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display name:
    steingar
    And they've doubled down with ADSB. Good luck.

19. flyingron

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    ADSB isn't a violation of the privacy act. The privacy act specifically covers information on INDIVIDUALS. Information on aircraft is a complete different issue.

23103a likes this.
  20. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast

I agree with you and wish you luck.

But for me personally, having recently retired, windmill tilting is not how I wish to spend my retirement years.

21. Albany Tom

Albany Tom Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Albany Tom
    I don't think privacy regulations as currently written help much if any. What we need is a global understanding that data about a person belongs to that person, and anyone in the world can have access to it, as long as they pay an agreed rental fee to the individual. Combine that with an understanding the corporations don't have protection against ex post facto laws, and we'd have a good pair. I figure that would mean Google would owe most of the people in the modern world $2 a day for 20 years. I won't hold my breath. It's not out of line compared to what they're making on it, though. I'd agree to settle now for $1, and agree not to join the class action later.

NoHeat likes this.
  22. FPK1

FPK1 Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display name:
    FPK1
    I think the FAA is about 6 months behind doing updates...

Shepherd likes this.
  23. Domenick

Domenick Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Domenick
    One can go from a tail number to the owner's street address in 30 seconds without ever leaving the FAA website.

24. flyingron

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Still not a Privacy Act violation. The act was developed because certain federal agencies were "keeping files" on individuals. The act puts restrictions on this. Information about aircraft (to include the address of the owning entity) isn't covered. Airman records very much are. A few decades back the FAA realized that the airman database was a violation and took it down. There was quite an uproar from the industry, including King Schools that the inability for them to raid the free database of pilots was "jeopardizing air safety." A limited exemption to the act was added to the AIR-21 FAA funding authorization. Unfortunately, the FAA has far exceeded what that exemption allows.

Domenick likes this.