I did some "First Flights" yesterday

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I haven't done an XC for a while, so I figured it was time. I reserved a plane about a week in advance and planned to take my daughter along. Since I had an extra seat in the 172 I asked a buddy of mine from work if he'd like to go with us. He's been trying for a long time to get me to take him and his boys on a flight but it's just never worked out.

He said he'd come along and bring his kids, too. I told him it might be a problem to get me, my daughter, him and his two kids all into a 172 at the same time. We decided to wait and see what the weather did. It turns ot the TAF was for ceilings too low for my comfort level on an XC so I told him to bring the kids along and we'd just fly around locally, in shifts if necessary.

He figured that I, he, and his kids could all go at the same time. I said, 'Yeah, depending on how much you weigh." (He's not a small guy). He told me how much he weighs, then went to the warehouse scale to show me. He then said "NO WAY do I weigh that much!". That's all it took for the warehouse guys to start up. They started bringing out every scale they could find. He stood on each one and said the same thing "NO WAY! These things are ALL wrong!". I just said "Jeez, you're a fat-***".

I requested the line guys don't top off the tanks overnight like they usually do, but there was still too much fuel to take him and his kids together, I had to take him and one kid at a time.

Just before I started the flights, a band of lower than expected clouds moved in. High enough to be legal for pattern work, but that was about it. I took them all for a couple circuits each and they thought it was the coolest thing.

I don't know who had more fun: me, him, or his kids.

Now I still need to do that XC!

Here's a certificate you can fill out and give him and his kids...

Attachments

• First Flight Certificate - Blank.pdf
    883.3 KB · Views: 7
Matthew,

I just cannot understand why your buddy would try to endanger his two sons as well as you and himself by overloading the aircraft against your judgement and recommendations. Big kudos to you for not letting it happen.

Rick

Matthew,

I just cannot understand why your buddy would try to endanger his two sons as well as you and himself by overloading the aircraft against your judgement and recommendations. Big kudos to you for not letting it happen.

Rick

Yeah - I had to have "the talk" with him. Mostly it was just funny watching him trying to accept the fact that he was 30 lbs heavier than he thought. (I had already taken that into account - so I wasn't going to take the three of them together anyway).

Matthew,

Rick

as a rule, non pilots do not understand the effect of weight on performance. their only real experience with flying is usually on an airliner where no one asks their weight and there is rarely an issue taking off with a full load of people. They have no reason to believe that it won't be the same with a small airplane. Plus they are used to loading up cars with as many or more people than there are seats so if the airplane has 4 seats why can't you fill them?

Here's a certificate you can fill out and give him and his kids...

Thanks - I already have a couple of certificates from the AOPA website. I left them at home, though, so I'll have to catch up with him later.

Back