I did not...

N659HB

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pops
get to take my life into my own hands today. Engine re-installation went pretty smoothly, but we discovered an oil leak at one of the case bolt nuts after the initial start up. It was found while we were trying to sort out why the throttle cable was binding.

If you know little about Luscombes, one of the most frustrating "features" is a solid cowl, which requires removing the prop to remove the cowl and have easy access to the engine bits. Except for that, it's a brilliant design.

Anyway, no test flight until the leak is stopped. We'll try a new washer and confirm proper torque values. Otherwise, the engine started on the first pull and showed normal oil pressure right away. Yes, I wrote pull. No electrical system.

The "repairs" have been in process for five months. I guess waiting another day or two to fly won't kill me.

Well, that's frustrating. Hope you are able to fix it quickly.

Never knew that about the Luscombe cowl; seems really silly.

I installed an IO-360 a month or two ago and turns out the overhaul shop didn't install an oil seal on one of the vacuum pump drive shafts. Frustrating, but an easy fix.

Well, that's frustrating. Hope you are able to fix it quickly.

Never knew that about the Luscombe cowl; seems really silly.

I installed an IO-360 a month or two ago and turns out the overhaul shop didn't install an oil seal on one of the vacuum pump drive shafts. Frustrating, but an easy fix.

I've come to expect frustration when dealing with an antique aircraft! In some ways, it's part of the fun. I just wish it weren't so damned expensive!

I've come to expect frustration when dealing with an antique aircraft! In some ways, it's part of the fun. I just wish it weren't so damned expensive!

You should consider antique tractors. There not as much fun, but not expensive either.

Back