I detest mornings like this (NA)

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
In spite of global warming, I woke up to snow covered ground this morning, with the wind howling, gusting up to the high 30's by my wx station.

Looking outside, I could see branches down, so I bit the bullet, got into mypickup, and took a ride down the driveway. Along the way, I stopped to clear small stuff (branches up to 3" or so), until I got down about 2/3 of the 1/2 mile to the road. At that point, there was a large length of walnut tree blocking my way.

Being the eternal optimist, I hadn't thrown my chain saw into the back of the truck, so I had to go back up and get it. It was low on gas, of course, so I filled it, checked that there was enough chain/bar oil to do what I had to do, and drove back down.

Since the saw (and my truck) live in an unheated garage, Mr. Echo was reluctant to start, and after additional priming and playing with the choke, it finally came to life after a dozen pulls.

I cleared the small stuff first and then started working on the main trunk. At least I lucked out -- the tree was just slightly smaller than the 18" bar on the saw, so I didn't have to carve the thing up. Anyway, I cut away enough that the drivaway was passable again -- I have to come back out later and clean up some more, I suppose.

Anyway, so much for the rant! I detest mornings when I have to saw my way out :yes:

The walnut branch, if it is as big as you make it sound, may be worth quite a bit to a specialty hardwood firm. This is not firewood!

-Skip

I have a friend in Levittown who would love to get his hands on that walnut, Bob, especially if it is clean wood... I read a story about a guy who had a claro walnut blow down in his back yard, as he went to take a saw to it, his neighbor ran over screaming and told him to stop. Gave him the number of a wood buyer - tree went for $40k.

Cheers,

-Andrew

It's big ok, but in pretty lousy shape -- rotted out and the wood is actually brittle -- the saw went through it like butter...

too bad Bob, we're finally above 70 again, Tshirt weather, woohoo!

Lessee, do I want to fly today ...

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KIGX 161656Z AUTO 30024G39KT 10SM CLR 11/M04 A2961 RMK AO2 PK WND 29039/1651 SLP027 T01111044

Reckon not. :eek:
[/FONT][FONT=Monospace,Courier][/FONT]

Just up the road from my office today...

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KPWM 161551Z 09032G50KT 1SM +RA BR OVC009 A2923 RMK AO2 SLPNO PNO[/font]

Good times.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Lessee, do I want to fly today ...

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KIGX 161656Z AUTO 30024G39KT 10SM CLR 11/M04 A2961 RMK AO2 PK WND 29039/1651 SLP027 T01111044[/FONT]

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]Reckon not. :eek:[/FONT]
Well Tom, keeps the ground "roll" short. :rofl:

Back