I chose ssri pathway 1 at my AME appointment and still got the ssri initial certification letter?

Chad Flan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
C-flyer
So, I decided to get back into flight training after an injury and financial constraints forced me to abandon it years ago. Meanwhile, about 3 years ago I had some pretty big stressors that caused some moderate anxiety. Dr. put me on ssri and never really looked at it again until I decided to start flying again.

At my first AME appointment I decided the better option was to choose ssri pathway 1. I went off my meds and everything is fine. Except I got a letter from the faa about a day after I scheduled my next AME visit stating that I need to see a HIMS AME, a psychiatrist and a neuropsychologist and get a cogscreen AE.

Nowhere in pathway 1 does it say that this is a possibility (unless I’m missing something).

Did my AME forget to make the required note in block 60 stating that I have chosen pathway 1?

Now I have all these hoops to jump and it seems like this whole system is designed to discourage people from following through.

Welcome to the club. I’m still trying to get my ducks in a row, I have yet to fill out a MedExpress.

In my case about 20 yrs ago I was nervous about flying after some bad experiences while learning how to fly, asked me doc for some thing to sleep on commercial flights, and was prescribed Xanax for flying. I start to investigate my diagnosis based on feedback from the POA group and I find multiple psych diagnosis from my PCP related to the Xanax prescriptions.

Add to this another scenario where about 8 months ago, I had a cancer scare, had many tests done to rule it out. Was experiencing some lower GI issues, got some screening tests done which were positive, went in for a colonoscopy which took a few weeks to schedule due to covid. All the while I’m nervous and scared of what may lie ahead. Doc recommends an SSRI, I reluctantly agree, the pharmacy fills the script, I read and ask questions about side effects, and decide no friggin way. Instead I seek a licensed mental health counselor, no meds we have a few sessions and all is fine. Procedure is done they find a decent size polyp and after the biopsy, all clear, and I’m no longer nervous.

Never took the SSRI, and phone my doc to inform him. He makes a note in my file but the diagnosis is still there.

it’s an uphill battle, hang in there. I’m hopeful it will work out for you.

At my first AME appointment I decided the better option was to choose ssri pathway 1. I went off my meds and everything is fine. Except I got a letter from the faa about a day after I scheduled my next AME visit stating that I need to see a HIMS AME, a psychiatrist and a neuropsychologist and get a cogscreen AE.
My suggestion is that you contact Dr. Bruce Chien (@bbchien) at http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Click on the site's "How to Start" link, and describe your situation in the contact form. Dr. Bruce is excellent, and you will get correct advice from him about how to proceed. I don't believe there is any fee to get advice via his website contact form.

Oh yeah...Dr. Bruce is one of the doctors who contributed in the effort to get the FAA to approve medical certificates when an SSRI is (or has been) used by the applicant. You want to chat with this guy! :)

Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back