I call him IFR man

Alexb2000

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Alexb2000
I have a buddy that flies with me several times a year. Mostly on fly fishing trips. Anyway, I am not a superstitious person, but every time this guy gets in my aircraft I end up in IMC. It's happened without fail so many times that it has become a running joke. Last year he and a retired pilot buddy of mine went up to Taos with me for some summer fly fishing. The retired airline pilot looked at the weather for hours and concluded that there was zero, zip, nada chance of ANY cloud in the sky anywhere along our route of flight. Sure enough not a cloud in the sky, we all decided the curse was broken. We get up into the Taos valley.... it's covered in heavy smoke from a forrest fire. We had to shoot an approach to get in.

Last Sunday I thought for sure the curse would be lifted, after a week of some of the best weather Texas has ever seen I took him with me to OK. You guessed it, 3 approaches that one day alone. Monday, perfect weather again.

I guess I should be glad he isn't icing man and he does keep you current.

Do any of you know people that just seem to attract certain flying conditions?

I travelled to Australia with another pilot. We ran into some IFR weather out in White Cliffs/Silverton/Broken Hill (essentially desert, it's where they film those post-apocalypse movies like Mad Max). The pilot said he was there 3 years earlier and it was IFR as well. The locals all told us they hadn't had IFR conditions in three years. They welcomed him back any time he wanted to come.

I travelled to Australia with another pilot. We ran into some IFR weather out in White Cliffs/Silverton/Broken Hill (essentially desert, it's where they film those post-apocalypse movies like Mad Max). The pilot said he was there 3 years earlier and it was IFR as well. The locals all told us they hadn't had IFR conditions in three years. They welcomed him back any time he wanted to come.

I love it. He should bill himself as a rain maker.

I love it. He should bill himself as a rain maker.

Not to be confused with Rainman.

"I'm a very good pilot." :)

My instructor said that in potential icing conditions he rarely gets ice. So he's the anti-ce maker. I get it every time it could exist, so I guess I'm ice man.

My grandfather, while not a pilot, took rain with him everywhere he went

I'm the anti-crosswind-maker. I honestly can't remember the last time I landed in a crosswind. It's either been dead calm or straight down the runway, and this at an airport that's known for always having crosswinds (Bay Bridge W29...at least we think it's known for that). Granted, I do go to school where I don't fly, but I've been at the airport a good 10 times with no crosswinds. I want my practice, but I can't seem to get it!

If I provide the lawn chair, can you come sit on my field? I've had to cancel 3 of the last 4 lessons (including one today) due to x-winds.

I'm trying to get 2 friends to accompany me to the Bahamas, both are willing to go, but not with each other... They're best friends but they have a history of being in a vehicle together not going so well. I told one that the other wasn't willing to ride with him in the plane and his response was "I don't blame him"

If I provide the lawn chair, can you come sit on my field? I've had to cancel 3 of the last 4 lessons (including one today) due to x-winds.

Sure, happy to give it a try, but I'm not sure it works that way. Perhaps if I get in the back seat we could trick the wind gods into believing that I'm actually flying the plane? And hope they don't browse this forum from time to time.

Back