I believe....

WOW. I am always amazed when I see video of helicopters going inverted.

Is there something special about the Bo-105? It seems that most aerobatic helicopter routines I've seen use them.

I gotta believe exploring those regions of the flight envelope is very... unnerving... for the first time for helicopter pilots. Just seems to go against what your gut would tell you is possible. Thanks for sharing, Dave.

Is there something special about the Bo-105? It seems that most aerobatic helicopter routines I've seen use them.

Do you mean: other than being an overpowered flying brick whose chief tactic in the anti-armor role was ramming, is there something special about Das Bolkow?

I gotta believe exploring those regions of the flight envelope is very... unnerving... for the first time for helicopter pilots. Just seems to go against what your gut would tell you is possible. Thanks for sharing, Dave.

I was gonna say the guy who first rolled or looped a helicopter had some serious stones.

If that kind of music started playing every time I got ready to fly I'd be too scared to go!

It's the "rigid rotor" design that makes it the helo of choice for that kind of abuse, I believe.

WOW. I am always amazed when I see video of helicopters going inverted.

Well, I'm no helo guy, but from http://wapedia.mobi/en/Kopp-Etchells_effect

In a rigid rotor system, the blades, hub, and mast are rigid with respect to each other. The rigid rotor system is mechanically simpler than the fully articulated rotor system. There are no vertical or horizontal hinges so the blades cannot flap or drag, but they can be feathered. Operating loads from flapping and lead/lag forces must be absorbed by bending rather than through hinges. By flexing, the blades themselves compensate for the forces which previously required rugged hinges. The result is a rotor system that has less lag in the control response, because the rotor has much less oscillation. The rigid rotor system also negates the danger of mast bumping inherent in semi-rigid rotors. The rigid rotor can also be called a hingeless rotor.

I understand "mast bumping" is not a good thing and is often associated with negative G-loading of the rotor system.

nice Steve
do tell more about 'rigid rotors'

Last edited:
Back