I am Looking to rent an airplane in DFW area

Flybytex

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flybytex
Hey all,

I'm looking to rent a single engine airplane to take my family from Dallas to Atlanta over the Christmas holidays. December 23-26. I'm looking for something along the lines of an archer, arrow, mooney or possibly a 172 but I'd rather have a bit more speed than a 110kts 172... But hey if the price is right, why not... It'll be somewhere in the 10-12 hour range of flight time depending on the plane. So if anyone has one to rent or help "offset" some of your costs or knows someone that does, please let me know.
I have an ATP, around 6,000 hours TT, and fly a gulfstream IV and Lear 55 for a living.

Thanks,

Bob

Are you up on the north end of Dallas? Anywhere near KADS?

If so, then RFC Dallas is the flying club you need to check out. www.rfcdallas.com

Deposit, Fees, and Dues
Membership Deposit...........$500
Initiation Fee............................$65
Monthly Dues...........................$65

4 aircraft are available:

1974 Beechcraft Bonanza F-33A
N4416W
New Paint, Leather, and Carpet New Millenium Engine Collins PN101 HSI, IFR certified Garmin GNS430 GPS, S-Tec 50 A/P with Altitude Hold, King KX-155 nav/com w/ 2nd Glidescope, Digital KN64 DME, Strikefinder, PS Engineering 4 place intercom, King KT76C digital transponder, Yoke map lights and digital clock, Large baggage door.
Rate: $171/hr Wet
Qualifications required ( B )

1978 Bonanza F-33A
N87MT
Garmin GMA 340 Audio Panel/ Intercom, Garmin GNS 530 Color Moving Map GPS/NAV/COM IFR CERTIFIED, Garmin GTX 327 Transponder, Collins remote mounted DME, Collins 351/251 Nav/Com w/ GS indicator, King 525A H.S.I slaved w/ Flight Director, King KFC 200 Autopilot, JPI Engine Monitor, Horizon Digital Tach, Osbourne Tip Tanks, Avionics West AM/FM cass., Digital OAT, Dual Yoke, Hartzell 3 Blade Prop
Rate: $177/hr Wet

1976 Cessna Cardinal 177RG
N7592V
IFR certified Garmin GNS430; King KX 155 radio with glide slope; PS Engineering audio panel and 4 place intercom; Cessna 300 mode C transponder; KR 87 ADF; KN 64 DME; C 300A autopilot which tracks navs (no altitude hold); GEM; wingtip strobes.
Rate: $105/wet

1967 Cherokee PA28-180
N4746L
2 COMS with frequency storage; 2 NAVS with frequency storage; VORS; DME; transponder; ADF; GPS; intercom; EGT; marker beacon; IFR certified.
Rate: $90/wet
Qualifications required ( A )

Qualifications Explained
(A) Single Engine, Fixed Gear

Any club member of active status holding a currently effective FAA Student, Private, Commercial, or Air Transport Pilot certificate with single engine land rating may operate the club's single engine, fixed gear aircraft.

( B ) Single Engine, Retractable Gear

Any club member of active status holding a currently effective FAA Private, Commercial, or Air Transport Pilot certificate with single engine land rating may operate the club's single engine, retractable gear aircraft provided they:

• Have logged 150 or more hours of flight time (or, with respect to the Cardinal 177RG only, have logged 125 or more hours of flight time);
  • Have logged 25 or more hours of retractable gear flight time (or, in lieu of 25 hours, have logged 10 hours or more of dual instruction in the aircraft of interest with a club check-out instructor authorized for that aircraft);
  • Have logged 5 or more hours in same make and model
Information about being checked out in these aircraft is found at this link

Yeah I've been looking at their airplanes, they seem pretty nice and have some really good rates. I'm thinking about it but just not sure how much I would actually fly other than the trip I'm doing this Christmas and not sure I want to drop $500 to join and hardly ever use the planes. Although on just the one trip I'd probably save about $300 by using an rfc plane rather than paying a full price rental. I'll crunch some numbers and see if it's worth it.

Wish that club were here. I'd be a member immediately. Hell - even with it being like a thousand miles away a part of me still wants to join.

That'd be a long haul in a 172, as I'm sure you know.

I've made it in our 182 (PDK -> HOT (fuel stop) -> ADS -> SAT) and it was a pretty significant trip. I think coming from that direction, we stopped in Natchez on the way back, which was a fun place to see for a little while and the folks there are real friendly. It was especially bad since we ended up having a headwind both ways :(

I don't know that I could do it in a 172, especially with the headwinds we've been having. I was supposed to go that way about a week ago and bailed on the trip because we had a ~35-40kt headwind, which would have made the trip significantly longer than I wanted to do in one day. I suppose if you time it right it'd be a non-issue, but with all this frontal movement we've been having, the days when there aren't significant winds coming from the west are more the exception.

Just looking online for you - this was at Marcair Aviation at 52F ~30 miles away. 2nd price is the discount rate with a $1500 block payment.

2006 Cessna 172S N630HR $143 $133
2006 Cessna 172S N735RR $143 $133
2006 Cessna 172S G1000 N11524 $143 $133
2008 Cessna 172S G1000 N6152H $143 $133
2004 Cessna T182T G1000 N912VM $176 $170
1978 Cessna R182 N2666C $172 $166
2005 AC 8KCAB Decathlon N571SA $158 $147

That'd be a long haul in a 172, as I'm sure you know.

Yeah that would be really long in a 172 with any kind of headwind... Probably 7+ hours... No thanks!

I think I'm going to join the RFC club if I can... Here's the math...

10 hours in a full rental rate c177rg @ $150 hr = $1,500
10 hours in a RFC C177rg @ $105 hr = $1,050 + $500 deposit = $1,550. That's only $50 more than a regular rental but I get to use the club's aircraft whenever I want from then on.

I'm still a member and former board member of RFC here in Dallas. Thanks for the kind remarks. The club isn't generally set up for one time rentals, but exceptions can be considered. In the past, exceptions have been for longer time periods that what you mention.

You'd have to join, get checked out and approved in the plane. Probably would take some lead time if doable at all. If you'd like to pursue it, I'd suggest you contact the membership director I believe his e-mail is on the web site. Might be worth asking if planes are even available on those dates before you do a lot.

Best,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Yeah I sent an email to the address listed on the website last night, just waiting to hear back. And in the email I asked if the 177 or archer was available for those dates. I would definitely like to join, it would give me some incentive to do a little more personal flying than I do now... Which is none.

Bob

Bob: If it doesn't move forward for you, please let me know and I'll make a couple calls.

Best,

Dave

Yeah that would be really long in a 172 with any kind of headwind... Probably 7+ hours... No thanks!

I think I'm going to join the RFC club if I can... Here's the math...

10 hours in a full rental rate c177rg @ $150 hr = $1,500
10 hours in a RFC C177rg @ $105 hr = $1,050 + $500 deposit = $1,550. That's only $50 more than a regular rental but I get to use the club's aircraft whenever I want from then on.

The $500.00 deposit is credited to flying time, too.

RFC is hands-down the best deal around. If it had not been that my use of the planes was abusive of other members (frequent long-weekends with low hours flown), I might well still be flying with RFC.

That Cardinal is the best bargain out there. Sweet bird, well-equipped.

The club's meetings and programs are a real benefit, too - often useful programs on safety issues. Plus, a good July 4 party at the airport.

Yeah it seems like a good deal. I received a response from my email to them about joining but they said that I would have to attend one of their monthly meetings before I could join. Unfortunately they aren't having a meeting this month and the next meeting isn't until January 17th. It really does me no good to join in January after spending whatever this Christmas trip is going to cost me with some other outfit. So.... It doesn't look like I am going to join the club.

Have you pointed that out to them? There have been situations where they worked something out in extraordinary circumstances.

Dave

I emailed her back asking if there was anyway to make an exception, but that was only a couple hours ago. We'll see what happens.

I did find a pretty good price on a DA40 at us aviators in DTO. Only $141/$126 block and they have several to choose from. I'll probably go with them if the RFC thing doesn't go through.

The $500.00 deposit is credited to flying time, too.
That's news I didn't know.

I had a conversation with RobertJ today (he was on his way to Midway to play with his "big iron") and he encouraged me to checkout RFC.

RFC is hands-down the best deal around. If it had not been that my use of the planes was abusive of other members (frequent long-weekends with low hours flown), I might well still be flying with RFC.

That Cardinal is the best bargain out there. Sweet bird, well-equipped.
This might be the reason I'll put up with the traffic madness between Denton and KADS.

I'll get past the next round of holidays and see what I can do about that.

And for the other Dallas folk... I saw Dr. Fried today, wrist weights and all! He's still as busy and chipper as ever.

I emailed her back asking if there was anyway to make an exception, but that was only a couple hours ago. We'll see what happens.

I did find a pretty good price on a DA40 at us aviators in DTO. Only $141/$126 block and they have several to choose from. I'll probably go with them if the RFC thing doesn't go through.
If you come up here to check out US Aviators, let me know and I'll meet you for a nosh and walk around with ya. I rent their Warrior for my flying.

Their most expensive DA40 does have the G1000 suite in it, but double check the databases are up todate. I've heard from a few instructors last year that there was a while when it wasn't.

The "middle price" is round dial, and with a HSI and the King Autopilot (KAP140?)

The "low price" is round dial, no autopilot.

*tease* Why not take one of their King Airs? It's only $750 block rate!

Mike: Where is the KA for that price? I've been chatting at someone at Addison about block time and that figure could be helpful.

Thanks,

Dave

Mike: Where is the KA for that price? I've been chatting at someone at Addison about block time and that figure could be helpful.

Thanks,

Dave

You'll need a right-seat guy, y'know... :D

Thanks,

Dave

KDTO & US Aviation (Parent group for the Academy and Aviators club).

Per their site (www.usaviationacademy.com) they gots 4 KA's in active service. When I was out there in spring (until I sabotaged my medical) there was always one on it's way out or returning and another on the ramp.

I guess availability is based on how many of the really advanced international students they got in the pipeline.

You'll need a right-seat guy, y'know... :D
I'll come along too!

Thanks. I'll give them a call to find out a bit about their planes. If there like other KAs there's only one right seat and an instructor would probably have to be there for awhile <g>.

Best,

Dave

If your looking for a cheap fast airplane to fly I would go with the Grumman there is a place in Dallas that rents for a pretty reasonable rate. I found them online while looking for my moms friends old airplane that gave be the bug (my first airplane ride) 15 years ago 29U

http://www.flyslipstream.com/

Speaking of my medical.... I got it back today at Dr. Fried's office!

So if anyone in the Area is looking to go fly and split costs, let me know.

Might be even more helpful to have somebody who knows something about the airplane. :tongue:

Wings? Check
Yoke? Check (heck, it even LOOKS like a Bonanza yoke)
Rudder Pedals? Radios?

The differences... they are trivial, Wayne! :D

You're right. Only ~800 hp difference plus a couple other pittances. And both are certified to fly on 100LL.

Wings? Check
Yoke? Check (heck, it even LOOKS like a Bonanza yoke)
Rudder Pedals? Radios?

The differences... they are trivial, Wayne! :D

*tease* Why not take one of their King Airs? It's only $750 block rate!

Ha why didn't I think of that!? It'd only be about $4k round trip at that rate :)

Sure I'll let you know when I'm headed up there. About to walk out the door to fly down to Toluca right now and will be there for a couple days. I'll probably head up to DTO on Monday.

Ha why didn't I think of that!? It'd only be about $4k round trip at that rate :)

Sure I'll let you know when I'm headed up there. About to walk out the door to fly down to Toluca right now and will be there for a couple days. I'll probably head up to DTO on Monday.

Out of town on Monday... See my thread about Orlando.

We'll have to connect another day.

Well I was going to go with us aviators but they want 2,000 down in order to get the block rate of $131 per hour, otherwise it's $146 per hour.
I found huffman aviation out of FSW and they have a pa28 180 for only $110 per hour. Yeah it's a bit slower but will still be a couple hundred dollars less total for the 11 or 12 hours. Going to check them out on Thursday.

Us aviators da40 10 hours rt = $1,460
huffman pa28 180 11 hours rt = $1,210

Back