I am a 100%.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
I am a little steamed about how some of the posters reacted to the anon vet posting. You guys know who all you are. He might be able to do desk/brain work, but if you don't have a bachelors degree in this economy, ROTSA RUCK.

Military service, at the GRUNT level involves power and duration that many who have not been in the service likely do not comprehend. A long rapid march in 90 degree heat carrying 80 pounds of gear on a trail or on uneven ground averaging 4+ miles per hour....would be impossible with sciatica.

Similarly, to the policeman I described, who had to exert 150 pounds of torso force over a solid minute after a 4 minute 9 mph foot chase.....

Clearly you do not need to do those things to be PIC. However, you certainly cannot exercise you duties as a PVT or E5 for that matter- you will hold the whole platoon back.

Never mind that the injury isn't obvious to the lay person. That appears to be the case with the OP for the closed string.

I'm glad you started this thread.
By the time I read that thread it had been closed.
I thought the posters who criticized the OP were misguided (to put it diplomatically.) At best their comments were irrelevant, at worst detrimental to the whole point of posting anonymously to the medical topics group. The only place their comments were appropriate even if the facts fit their views was in the spin zone group; and their beef was with the government, not the OP.

Hmmm, I missed where it went south. I figured the guy could likely get through it as long as it was physical issues not mental. As you allude to, PIC is a mental thing, not physical.

One of the reasons I only very rarely post in the Spin Zone anymore is most of the really intelligent posters were chased off or left some time ago. What's left are the sort of grumpy old men who ruined that thread.

As far as I'm concerned, if the military says that guy is disabled, he's disabled. He put his six on the line for his country, and if he spends the rest of his life sitting on his chair watching TV and eating mayonnaise out of a jar, I call it a win.

One of the reasons I only very rarely post in the Spin Zone anymore is most of the really intelligent posters were chased off or left some time ago. What's left are the sort of grumpy old men who ruined that thread.

As far as I'm concerned, if the military says that guy is disabled, he's disabled. He put his six on the line for his country, and if he spends the rest of his life sitting on his chair watching TV and eating mayonnaise out of a jar, I call it a win.
I am familiar with both the military and VA disability systems. I served with both the 101st ABN and 1st CAV divisions. Military life can be tough and a lot of those who have served have acquired significant medical problems. However, disability is fairly easy to get and not everybody who is awarded disability really deserves it.

One of the Mods made it clear to me privately that this discussion belongs in the spin zone. Are we opening it up for discussion here or not?

There is also disparity amongst generations regarding what disability means. I know a Vietnam vet that probably would qualify but didn't apply because he believes that it would make the pie smaller for those who are worse than he. OTOH, I know recent vets that have been awarded 100% for diabetes at 20 something years old. Then there are those that have "unexplained illnesses" that the system says they are worthless malingerers, yet they really do have have physical disabilities that prevents any normalcy.

It can comes down to how sympathetic the applicant is, sad but true.

I am familiar with both the military and VA disability systems. I served with both the 101st ABN and 1st CAV divisions. Military life can be tough and a lot of those who have served have acquired significant medical problems. However, disability is fairly easy to get and not everybody who is awarded disability really deserves it.

Yeah, it's true, but you take your bones where you can find them. I don't begrudge most vets whatever they can get, it's not like they really get dealt with squarely either although they have public healthcare (even if their families got screwed out of their promised contracts under Reagan). Perhaps if the altogether picture weren't one lopsided abuse from the other side as well I could manage to get an ire up.

Piling on is getting to be the norm lately.

One of the Mods made it clear to me privately that this discussion belongs in the spin zone. Are we opening it up for discussion here or not?

I don't think personal attacks are legit even in the SZ.

You can question their ethics, no worry; it's how you go about it. Richard Nixon called Dick Cavit<sp?> IIRC a son of a ***** on a televised interview and most people didn't even catch it.

Last edited:
Since i misses the other thread........I'm rated at 30% service related injury, was retired at 15 years with
full benefits, collecting my pension for last 3 years. This all happened at age 33 and yes, i use my tax payer funded check to pay for my flight training, after they take out taxes.

If you don't like it, i really don't care, Ill even give you the quarter to call someone who might five a flying f.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I am upset and dissapointed that my flying brothers reacted this way to an American HERO who gave up his body and mind for service to our country. He deserves EVERY benefit he gets. That is the deal, legally and morally. You serve, you get hurt, we pay, and gladly.

As to the people who were "chased off". They left willfully, and good riddance. Personal attackers all.

Since i misses the other thread........I'm rated at 30% service related injury, was retired at 15 years with
full benefits, collecting my pension for last 3 years. This all happened at age 33 and yes, i use my tax payer funded check to pay for my flight training, after they take out taxes.

If you don't like it, i really don't care, Ill even give you the quarter to call someone who might five a flying f.....

Good for you and more power to you! Can't fault any serviceman receiving benefits they are entitled to... wait, I think "entitled" is a bad word in some circles! :D

Gary

Good for you and more power to you! Can't fault any serviceman receiving benefits they are entitled to... wait, I think "entitled" is a bad word in some circles! :D

Gary

Entitlement in that context is ok , since one worked to received said benefit prior.

Discussion of the system and politicization of it belongs there, certainly.

Calling out those who turned a "I'm looking for help" thread into a "you're a mooching parasite" thread - I got no beef with that ;)

Yeah, it's true, but you take your bones where you can find them. I don't begrudge most vets whatever they can get, it's not like they really get dealt with squarely either although they have public healthcare (even if their families got screwed out of their promised contracts under Reagan). Perhaps if the altogether picture weren't one lopsided abuse from the other side as well I could manage to get an ire up.
I was not criticizing those who receive benefits based on the VA and military criteria. Exaggerating symptoms to receive benefits is another matter. If this thread is about a particular individual then I doubt if anybody here has enough information to pass judgement.

Discussion of the system and politicization of it belongs there, certainly.

Calling out those who turned a "I'm looking for help" thread into a "you're a mooching parasite" thread - I got no beef with that ;)

How can you seperate the two? :dunno:

You can't. :no:

I have been biting my key board hoping the thread goes into the SZ.

While you ponder the horror of challenging a disabled "veteran" ( I highly doubt he was a vet) please read the letters from Sgt. Steve Flaherty that just made their way home to his family after 43 years.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...s-letters-returned-home-43-years-after-death/

Last edited:
I was not criticizing those who receive benefits based on the VA and military criteria. Exaggerating symptoms to receive benefits is another matter. If this thread is about a particular individual then I doubt if anybody here has enough information to pass judgement.

Exactly. :yes:

The anonomous poster listed a dozen malidies that he claimed are service related. Plantar Facitiss? Really? His feet hurt? Now he wants to keep flying at my expense and collect SSI? I don't have a say in that? I don't have an opinion?

He was asking for advice on how to game the system IMHO. If he was 100% disabled as he claimed the Diabled Veterans Affairs would be the place to go for answers, not here.

If he can fly "disabled" then have him get his commercial ticket and start making a living. :dunno:

Mods, I am walking so close to the line I can't see it. Please put this where it belongs in the SZ.

Last edited:
I am a little steamed about how some of the posters reacted to the anon vet posting. You guys know who all you are. He might be able to do desk/brain work, but if you don't have a bachelors degree in this economy, ROTSA RUCK.

Military service, at the GRUNT level involves power and duration that many who have not been in the service likely do not comprehend. A long rapid march in 90 degree heat carrying 80 pounds of gear on a trail or on uneven ground averaging 4+ miles per hour....would be impossible with sciatica.

Similarly, to the policeman I described, who had to exert 150 pounds of torso force over a solid minute after a 4 minute 9 mph foot chase.....

Clearly you do not need to do those things to be PIC. However, you certainly cannot exercise you duties as a PVT or E5 for that matter- you will hold the whole platoon back.

Never mind that the injury isn't obvious to the lay person. That appears to be the case with the OP for the closed string.

Doc, I certainly understand your position as a physician. Try and understand mine as a Viet Nam Era Veteran. ;)

Except for those who are scamming the system, what about then?

;)

You got it.

While all read my "insensitive" posts consider this. Maybe, just maybe the government is loosening disability standards allowing more to collect benifits that shouldn't?

45% of vets returning home from their tours in the "Big Sand Box". Really? Any other vets have opinions on that? To think 45% of servicemen and women saw combat and or were disabled either physical or mentally is ridiculous. Claiming disability will cripple these soldiers chances at gainful employment and the resources to excell.

JMHO

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012...le_record_claims_for_disability_payments.html

If this thread is about a particular individual then I doubt if anybody here has enough information to pass judgement.
It was about a particular individual but that didn't stop other individuals from passing judgment anyway.

The anonomous poster listed a dozen malidies that he claimed are service related. Plantar Facitiss? Really? His feet hurt? Now he wants to keep flying at my expense and collect SSI? I don't have a say in that? I don't have an opinion?

He was asking for advice on how to game the system IMHO. If he was 100% disabled as he claimed the Diabled Veterans Affairs would be the place to go for answers, not here.

If he can fly "disabled" then have him get his commercial ticket and start making a living. :dunno:

Mods, I am walking so close to the line I can't see it. Please put this where it belongs in the SZ.

You can start a thread in the spin zone about this any time you want.

My dad is a Vietnam war veteran. He told me the VA got so frustrated trying to sort out those affected from agent orange from those who were not affected that they gave all Vietnam vets the benefits of this diagnosis. He showed me a pair of eyeglasses he got for "free" from the VA even though he probably will never use them. I told him the glasses were not free and that his grandchildren and I will be paying for all of his retirement benefits as well as the interest on the money this country has borrowed to pay for everything.

Last edited:

I don't disagree, I stayed away from the whole judgement thing, there was no reason to go there. I just went face value.

Last edited:

Maybe I can't read and comprehend, but I am pretty sure he said he is NOT looking to collect SSI , because he doesn't want the limit on income.

***Edit **** Nope, I can read and comprehend perfectly fine. He said it in post #12.

Last edited:

You have nowhere near enough information to pass judgement on this guy.

I thank you for your service and I would like to thank him for his.

If you would like to discuss this topic further, feel free to start your own thread in the SZ. As for discussing this particular case, please remember that personal attacks are not allowed in this forum and many would consider accusations of fraud to be a personal attack.

People come to this forum looking for help. When it's reasonable, they should receive that help without all of the judgement that people seem so eager to dish out.

Like I said, if the military said the guy's disabled, I'm good. He put his six on the line for my country. If someone else who did likewise doesn't like it, I honestly don't care. Unless that person has actual information that someone is gaming the system, they should probably keep their arrogant gob shut.

Serving in the military automatically entitles you to my thanks. Doesn't mean you're right about everything.

My dad is a Vietnam war veteran. He told me the VA got so frustrated trying to sort out those affected from agent orange from those who were not affected that they gave all Vietnam vets the benefits of this diagnosis.

Not quite.
They gave me a piece of cloth to attach to my chest, and a reduction in the cost of a pack of cigarettes ($0.07/pack), and the elimination of my withholding taxes (not SS/Medicare) for the duration, but nothing else.

;)

You got it.

While all read my "insensitive" posts consider this. Maybe, just maybe the government is loosening disability standards allowing more to collect benifits that shouldn't?

45% of vets returning home from their tours in the "Big Sand Box". Really? Any other vets have opinions on that? To think 45% of servicemen and women saw combat and or were disabled either physical or mentally is ridiculous. Claiming disability will cripple these soldiers chances at gainful employment and the resources to excell.

JMHO

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012...le_record_claims_for_disability_payments.html

Perhaps society will one day grow up to realize the spiritual, psychological, physical and moral burdens placed upon a person who pulls the trigger. Then perhaps society will realize the true costs of war. It may then realize that war costs more than the way to peace.

And why not? The current system is leading to bankruptcy on all fronts. There is more to gain by growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back