I’m calling the peak

Totally. After looking at the data nearly every week for 6 months I have yet to see any real outliers in SR22s!

Partly due there not being much variability across the fleet, other than time in service and pre-repack or post-repack.

Price update 1/31/24 to 2/29/24. Introduced a new "median price" section for each series.
Lots of data on here now. I'll probably try to find a way to organize it better so it's a little more clean. Open to suggestions if anyone has recommendations.

Only things that caught my eye was the influx of new Piper Arrow sellers causing a decent spike in asking prices (+8.9% inc MoM on an average basis, and +6.8% MoM on a median pricing basis).
I wish I shared their optimism for our resale value :) . Same for PA28-* sellers; a similar increase. Also 172s taking a quick breather before prices continue their inexorable climb to the moon.

1709249335960.png
1709250309677.png

EDIT: Added in the motivated seller list. The tail numbers with the biggest price declines. The guy in #1 has dropped over 40% since September.

Last edited:
At those prices, 3 of those Lances on the motivated list must be trashed.

For models with low numbers (Archers, 152) you are getting huge swings (40% increases), is that because of the long production runs and variability of prices? Maybe group all the 15X models together, like you did with the Mooney.
I would ignore new planes and focus on used prices.

For models with low numbers (Archers, 150s) you are getting huge swings (40% increases), is that because of the long production runs and variability of prices? I would ignore new planes and focus on used prices.
There is lots of variability in the models and there isn't enough of them in the market (low N) in order to create some stability. Archer, Acclaim, Sierra, Debonairs, Musketeers (which I dropped)... They've all had low N and been bumpy.
Unfortunately there's not many ways around it unless I manually curate the listings that are included with each series, which I don't think I should do.

For instance... All it takes to swing the Archer market above is like 3 guys to list a late 70s Archer with a good glass panel and newer SMOH times and you're going to see a huge spike in prices. I'm not really in a position to say that shouldn't be counted. Same for Malibus. I've seen "avg" swings of 100k because 5 people have 80s models for sale and 2 people list a >=2012 model year PA46. That market is so small that 1-2 listings does legitimately swing the aggregate asking prices.

The solution (to me) is that I frankly don't really give hardly any attention to low N series. If I see N less than 15-20 I figure it's going to be an erratic series. Thankfully because of their low prominence in the data they make very little impact on the aggregate market stats at the bottom.

At those prices, 3 of those Lances on the motivated list must be trashed.
Somewhere recently I ran across a couple for sale in Alaska that were freight dogs. Original radios, trashed paint & interior, and 15k hours. I'm sure that's them. Considering what it would cost to bring them up to something a private owner would want, they're probably overpriced.

On the bright side, the fact that a p32r can survive to 15k hours in that life makes me feel better about my 6000 hour plane still having some life in her.

Last edited:
The finalization of the bolt hole AD (remember, it's still an interim, even all these years later) may change that valuation of life balance (and resale value by proxy) dramatically. Go look at seminole prices pre and post wing spar time out. That's coming to some 32s and 28s.

Of course then we'll start to hear the commander tribe styled cope, "well, by the time i reach that hour ill be dead so...". I no longer have a dog in that fight thank odin, but i wouldn't go near anything -28/-32 circa 12k airframe time (my guess where theyre gonna life limit the spar) , and would consider the value of anything above 10k as functionally the engine core value only.

There is lots of variability in the models and there isn't enough of them in the market (low N) in order to create some stability. Archer, Acclaim, Sierra, Debonairs, Musketeers (which I dropped)... They've all had low N and been bumpy.
Unfortunately there's not many ways around it unless I manually curate the listings that are included with each series, which I don't think I should do.

For instance... All it takes to swing the Archer market above is like 3 guys to list a late 70s Archer with a good glass panel and newer SMOH times and you're going to see a huge spike in prices. I'm not really in a position to say that shouldn't be counted. Same for Malibus. I've seen "avg" swings of 100k because 5 people have 80s models for sale and 2 people list a >=2012 model year PA46. That market is so small that 1-2 listings does legitimately swing the aggregate asking prices.

The solution (to me) is that I frankly don't really give hardly any attention to low N series. If I see N less than 15-20 I figure it's going to be an erratic series. Thankfully because of their low prominence in the data they make very little impact on the aggregate market stats at the bottom.

Any chance of normalizing the list prices? For example factoring in the year, a crude way would be price/year.

Any chance of normalizing the list prices? For example factoring in the year, a crude way would be price/year.
For a handful of the big N series aircraft (172/182/arrow/PA28/M20/SR22...) I could setup an index benchmark, standardized to only include 1 or 2 model years, if that would be helpful? That would give some standardization for the aircraft series.
I can also backfill history for that since I still have the raw data behind it.

But that method may only help standardize for major series. The small N series I can't do that b/c too few (or no) aircraft would pass whatever criteria I establish.

Coming into this post 2 years later and seeing how prices just kept on climbing is really depressing.

The solution is simple, stop paying these crazy prices and they will start coming back down. I am sure there are exceptions but I certainly have noticed planes I am interested in aren't selling or take months to find the right buyer at the price they are asking.

Over the past month the median price drop was pretty significant (-5.7%), the average was (-0.8%). Total listing counts increased about +3%.

Notes:
- SR22 + C206 + "35 Bo" pricing strength helped insulate the average price from dropping. The huge price tags of SR22/C206 gives them outsized influence on average pricing.
- SR20 listing turnover hit a wall. Normally it's in the 30s%+, but inexplicably dropped to 17%.
- Focusing on median price changes of reasonable sized categories: PA28s , PA24s (Comanches), M20s, Cessna 182s/210s and A36 Bo's all led the way with downward prices. The noteworthy thing that caught my eye about those is they're regular GA, NOT flight school categories.
- No idea if the price changes are seasonal and people trying to get rid of their plane for the flying season or something else.

Since I don't have the curated series prices yet for major N numbers as MooneyDriver suggested, I put in a "average model year listed" section so you can see if there was a shift.
A +/- 1 or 2 year shift in Cessna 172s doesn't make much of a difference. In SR22s it can be muy grande.

1712250258054.png

Coming into this post 2 years later and seeing how prices just kept on climbing is really depressing.

Parts and labor? Sure. Airframe resale prices? No, that hasn't been my observational experience since fall of 2023. Certainly not inflation adjusted. But I'm not following all aircraft types, just a small sliver of it (trike FG acro 2-seater EAB).

We have no reliable mechanism for disclosing completed sales (mine wasn't, other than self-disclosing on social media). So the notion that prices "have gone up" in what the statement seeks to imply (completed sales), is facts not in evidence.

Listing prices are just like anything, a wish. Even then, listing prices have flattened to slightly decreased in the types I've been looking at. Inventory is starting to pick up. Some people still living in 2020 list for the moon, don't get bites (or pearl-clutch when one comes in with an under asking offer) and pull the listing. Based on my recent experience as a passive buyer, lots unserious sellers chaffing up the listings, merely trolling the market. I'm not chucking from the cheap seats, I was a seller in 2023 and completed in 14 days, and my available market was way more limited mind you (AOG sale). It's not just airplanes, even housing suffers from that dynamic in present circumstances; my clown neighbor for instance, still there sitting unsold.

Parts and labor? Sure. Airframe resale prices? No, that hasn't been my observational experience since fall of 2023. Certainly not inflation adjusted. But I'm not following all aircraft types, just a small sliver of it (trike FG acro 2-seater EAB).

We have no reliable mechanism for disclosing completed sales (mine wasn't, other than self-disclosing on social media). So the notion that prices "have gone up" in what the statement seeks to imply (completed sales), is facts not in evidence.

Listing prices are just like anything, a wish. Even then, listing prices have flattened to slightly decreased in the types I've been looking at. Inventory is starting to pick up. Some people still living in 2020 list for the moon, don't get bites (or pearl-clutch when one comes in with an under asking offer) and pull the listing. Based on my recent experience as a passive buyer, lots unserious sellers chaffing up the listings, merely trolling the market. I'm not chucking from the cheap seats, I was a seller in 2023 and completed in 14 days, and my available market was way more limited mind you (AOG sale). It's not just airplanes, even housing suffers from that dynamic in present circumstances; my clown neighbor for instance, still there sitting unsold.
EDIT: I'M A CLOWN! I posted data without checking the data. Whoops! :p

To wrap some numbers around those people who aren't serious sellers...
1712257993615.png

1712257976702.png
1712270434361.png

Last edited:
Personally, I like this trend of 172 prices being relatively stable while the prices of aircraft I'd like to get next decreasing.
Thanks for gathering the data.

Back