hyperthyroidism and medical

U

Unregistered

I posted a few months ago about fertility drugs, so thanks for the answers. But it looks like the joke was on me, because I was already pregnant! Anyway, my last routine bloodwork showed low TSH. I'm sorry I don't have the exact number. My ob is not too concerned and we are at the monitoring stage right now. He has said odds are it will resolve completely OR turn into postpartum hypothyroidism after a short period of hyperthyroidism. Of course, there's always the chance I could stay hyper.

It looks like controlled hypothyroidism isn't too big of a deal for the FAA, but how can I still fly with a hyper diagnosis? Also, do I need to report the low TSH I have now? Can I fly right now?

I posted a few months ago about fertility drugs, so thanks for the answers. But it looks like the joke was on me, because I was already pregnant! Anyway, my last routine bloodwork showed low TSH. I'm sorry I don't have the exact number. My ob is not too concerned and we are at the monitoring stage right now. He has said odds are it will resolve completely OR turn into postpartum hypothyroidism after a short period of hyperthyroidism. Of course, there's always the chance I could stay hyper.

It looks like controlled hypothyroidism isn't too big of a deal for the FAA, but how can I still fly with a hyper diagnosis? Also, do I need to report the low TSH I have now? Can I fly right now?
Wait for Dr. Bruce to answer, but I know someone who had a waiting period (a few weeks?) after starting to take meds for his low TSH. Obviously he was not pregnant so maybe it was a different condition than you have. :dunno:

hyper's a different animal and it is probably only showing up because you're pregnant. Some of the drugs aren't kosher with pregnancy anyway so you could wait until the kids here and see if you're really Hyper or not. Unless you're at the debilitating stage in which case you need the drugs to get out of bed in the morning.

Ah, thanks. I searched but couldn't find anything. Kind of depressing info, though, as I don't think any endocrinologist or cardiologist will touch me just to get me flying for a few months, especially since the OB is saying everything's fine for now.

Anyway, he does think it probably is only because I'm pregnant. He is hopeful it'll resolve, and right now it doesn't present any danger to me or the baby. Of course, that was all I heard at first, then a few days later I thought, "Well, crud, how does this affect my medical?" I'm over morning sickness and really want to get back in the plane again!

Low TSH does NOT make for a hyperthyroidism diagnosis! You need a high Free T4 or Free T3. Total T4 and total T3 make zero sense in pregnancy.

Right now, it appears you can still fly (limited information!).

Thanks!

I know he ordered a TSH cascade, so the free T4 data is around, he just didn't tell me. Guess i'll find out next appointment.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back