Hyperlink Format

DJTorrente

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
DJTorrente
Was it a deliberate MC choice or Xenfro default to have hyperlinks appear in blue text, but not underlined? The difference between blue and black text is subtle, and sometimes you can't easily identify hyperlinked text without the underline, especially if the linked text is not explicitly a URL.

Low priority problem, but I figure this is the place to bring it up.

It's popular on CSS based websites to remove the underline... in fact, looking for a way to force it back on in popular browsers via Google for ya, is coming up largely empty and instead is pages and pages of how to disable it in CSS instead. People don't want them anymore.

The CSS here appears to at least leave alone the underline when you mouse-over links, so you can use "target practice" instead of your eyeballs to tell if something is a link, but that's not really what you're looking for.

Actually taking that a step further, mousing over just about anything here will tell you by one of three (that I see) ways of knowing it's a link... 1) Color change, Button style change, appearance of an underline. So it's inconsistent from a UI standpoint, other than "something" changes. Color changes don't underline, Button style is also usually a color thing more than a font or underline thing, and only a few links do the underline.

Checking every browser I had available here at the moment, all have a setting to have all links underlined... but CSS appears to override that setting in all of them.

Almost everything on the web is CSS-based today, so I don't even know why the browser makers don't just hide it on some window that's "Here's all the useless old HTML stuff that won't work anywhere on the modern Net, anyway, so we don't know why we've even bothered to keep these settings here" in their settings menus.

Not all hyperlinks are blue. For example, I put my mouse on "denverpilot" in the above post. What was originally grey, turned red. Clicking on it brings up his mini-profile. If you put the cursor on "7 minutes ago", it will give you the exact time, but clicking doesn't seem to have any effect. Oh wait. It updates the elapsed time. When I clicked on "8 minutes ago" it changed to "10 minutes ago".

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 19.19.23.png

If you're using Firefox, you can create a userContent.css file and put it in your Firefox profile's "chrome" folder to override the site settings to whatever you want:

@-moz-document domain(pilotsofamerica.com) {
a:link { text-decoration: underline ! important; }
}

I hate underline hyperlinks. I also hate visited hyperlinks being in a different color - like the Nick-awful default purple.

If you're using Firefox, you can create a userContent.css file and put it in your Firefox profile's "chrome" folder to override the site settings to whatever you want:

@-moz-document domain(pilotsofamerica.com) {
a:link { text-decoration: underline ! important; }
}

I didn't realize FF would do that, but makes sense. But how did they end up naming the directory "chrome"?! LOL...

Not all hyperlinks are blue. For example, I put my mouse on "denverpilot" in the above post. What was originally grey, turned red. Clicking on it brings up his mini-profile. If you put the cursor on "7 minutes ago", it will give you the exact time, but clicking doesn't seem to have any effect. Oh wait. It updates the elapsed time. When I clicked on "8 minutes ago" it changed to "10 minutes ago".

View attachment 44399

Yes. I'm talking about links in the body of a post/message; or in the .sig footer. An example in this thread is EdFred's sig link, "2016 Airport Relay Challenge".

As to the time link, I believe the URI target of the time link ("7 minutes ago") is a perma-link to the particular post. Clicking it reloads the post, which refreshes the text describing the time. At some point the software will stop with a relative time and just put the time and date of the post. That is standard on Twitter and FB, for those who use them; maybe others as well.

I agree with the OP's point. Hyperlinks are hard for me to see (I'm typically on my iPad). I had to take a double...triple take on this one for example before realizing it was a link:

I've also been reading about pulse oximeters recently. I opted for this model for the data logging capability.

And, AFAIK there is no "mouse over" available on an iPad. Also, you'd have to recognize it as a link before you'd know to mouse over it in the first place.

Unless I'm missing something.

Back