Hyoscyamine - antispasmotic drug

U

Unregistered

I'm a student at a point where I need to acquire my student certificate/3rd class medical for the first time. I just realized that the Hyoscyamine that I've been taking for the last 4 years for IBS is not allowed. According to the AOPA list, Zelnorm is the only antispasmotic allowed--with a status report and no adverse side effects.

The Hyoscyamine has virtually eliminated my symtoms of IBS and I don't have any side effects. Can anyone explain the seemingly adamant position of the FAA on this drug? Do you have any advise on how to proceed prior to seeing the AME?

Did you every try that new drug? What are you taking now (if you’re still flying)?

Can anyone explain the seemingly adamant position of the FAA on this drug?
Just assume that the FAA is paranoid and don't try to figure it out.
Do you have any advise on how to proceed prior to seeing the AME?
Consult with a highly qualified AME - A HIMS AME would be a starting point. You don't want to take chances with denials. Most likely, you will have to change medication just because.

I'm a student at a point where I need to acquire my student certificate/3rd class medical for the first time. I just realized that the Hyoscyamine that I've been taking for the last 4 years for IBS is not allowed. According to the AOPA list, Zelnorm is the only antispasmotic allowed--with a status report and no adverse side effects.

The Hyoscyamine has virtually eliminated my symtoms of IBS and I don't have any side effects. Can anyone explain the seemingly adamant position of the FAA on this drug? Do you have any advise on how to proceed prior to seeing the AME?
Be aware that the FAA will base its regulations on highly scrutinized scientific evidence and old wive's tales.

Be aware that the FAA will base its regulations on highly scrutinized scientific evidence and old wive's tales.

In the back room, where regulations are made at the FAA:

0adf91d9ce43af9b8abe84db65a45fc7--shark-jokes-jokes-with-pictures.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back