Hydro growl on ZTR - N/A

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
I bought a new Exmark ZTR the other day and the hydro growls loudly all the time, but especially when going up the ramp or up a hill. The dealer says it's normal but my Husqvarna z is as quiet as it gets, and I don't hear any other Exmark zs making that kind of noise. I thought maybe it would go away, and I've taken the meter from .1 to 1.5 hours and it hasn't diminished at all. Any thoughts?

It's not ear-shattering, but it is loud enough to irritate me.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 1.5 hours isn't exactly much of a break-in time. I'd run it as-is (as long as there is adequate fluid level in the reservoir) through the first oil-change and see what you get.

I thought those were sealed units, if so there isn't much to check other than to see if it is getting hot maybe. Is it coming from both sides or just one? Mine get noisy under a load but are quiet normally. Does it perform as you would expect?

I'm not familiar with the model in question, but if a hydraulic pump growls, it's a sign the fluid is low. Filling it may not solve the problem, as sometimes it damages the pump.

Fluid level is fine and the mower runs fine. The sound just drives me up the wall.

I've used noise cancelling headsets on my zero-turn before. Might be an option if it is really that bad.

I have a Kubota tractor and the hydro is audible. Not annoying but you know when you are going up a hill.

Family used to mow as a side business both Exmarks had that whine the skag and Kubota didnt or was barely noticable. When we sold that company we kept the exmark if that tells you anything.

Family used to mow as a side business both Exmarks had that whine the skag and Kubota didnt or was barely noticable. When we sold that company we kept the exmark if that tells you anything.
You said the magic words. Thanks.

We have a Bad Boy ZTR, two Hyrdo Kubota tractors, and a Hydro Yardman lawn tractor. They all make varying volumes of "whine" noises, but all have functioned just fine for years. I wouldn't worry about it unless you don't see fluid in the overflow reservoir.

Back