Husky - Too much fun!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I got to swing by Chip's hangar today to visit for a bit, and he offered me a ride in the Husky. Really had to twist my arm, but he finally convinced me. ;) :rofl:

I know how to get in the front seat of a Cub (the Husky is derived from the Super Cub), but had only been in the back seat of a Sport Cub before - It took some contortions to get me in! I slid back into the seat just fine, but getting my legs in was a pain - Chip had to hold the front seat harness out of the way while I swung my left leg over it, moved the stick to the right of my leg, and then had to take my shoe off so I had enough room to squeeze my foot down between the trim wheel and the seat. But, I finally got packed in:

DSCN3477.jpg

We taxied to the runway and Chip did the runup (only throttle, stick, rudder, and PTT controls available in the back). Then, it was out onto the runway for a full-flap takeoff.

Yes, a full-flap takeoff. Weird, but it works quite well. I held it in a three-point attitude and we broke ground quickly and climbed like crazy - The rate was good, but the angle was utterly insane. It was like riding in an elevator - Straight up!

We headed south and circled one grass strip, followed by a landing at another. We chatted with the folks there for a bit (still sitting in the airplane!) and then turned back around. This airport was in a valley, so there was terrain fairly close by on both sides. That gave an even better indication of the crazy climb angle. This plane loves to fly!

We headed west and popped over a few ridges before descending to follow a creek through a small valley for a while. This gave me a chance to really feel the beautiful control harmony of the Husky. Whereas the Cub and Super Cub are light in pitch and very sluggish in roll, the Husky rolls quite easily. In the Cubs I sometimes have to move the stick until it hits my leg and I always seem to have my whole hand on it, the Husky's stick never came close to my legs and flew wonderfully with just thumb and two fingers on the stick.

After we popped up away from the creek (which had led us in a northerly direction), we headed east and finally back to the field to do some landings. My first one was pretty scary - While the pitch attitude on approach allows for an excellent view, transitioning to the landing attitude suddenly left me blind and I overcontrolled it quite a bit. Some good coaching from Chip allowed my next couple of landings to be passable, working more from feel than from sight. One more trip around the pattern and Chip did a short-field landing that couldn't have taken more than 300 feet of runway. Whee!!! :goofy:

The Husky is a great airplane - It takes all of the fun factor in a Cub and makes it even more fun with well-harmonized controls. Thanks for the excellent time, Chip! :yes:

Whereas the Cub and Super Cub are light in pitch and very sluggish in roll, the Husky rolls quite easily.
You got to roll the Husky?!?! He wouldn't let me roll it. ;)

Does he still have that nice pink key chain? :)

I found that the hardest thing about the Husky was getting in it. I'll have to dig out that picture of Chip hopping in the Husky at the farm.

cool!

You have been in the back seat of a Super Cub before...

I had a great time!

...my next couple of landings to be passable, working more from feel Thanks for the excellent time, Chip! :yes:

More than passable - both were very good landings. It's nice to fly with someone so coachable!

I'm glad you stopped by. Since our friends from Texas all stood you up I'm happy to show you some Arkansas hospitality!!

You got to roll the Husky?!?! He wouldn't let me roll it.

:no::no::no: We didn't roll the Husky.

Does he still have that nice pink key chain? :)

:yes::yes::yes: Of course.

I found that the hardest thing about the Husky was getting in it. I'll have to dig out that picture of Chip hopping in the Husky at the farm.
I found it. :)

Chip, if you think this is unflattering, you can delete it while I'm out picking up sticks. :yes:

Attachments

• Hopping in the Husky.JPG
    Hopping in the Husky.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 67
Looks like you fit in there pretty good- at least the bucket of axle grease was not called for. :D

Sounds like a blast- I'm hoping to fly a Top Cub later this year- not the same thing, but certainly another awesome "Cub Plus". :D

Sorry, I couldn't help it ;) I'm just jealous too!

Just the thought of needing to make an emergency egress makes me cringe!
Sounds like you had a great time and yes, I AM jealous too!

Yeah I guess a person would need to dive out head first?

That is generally about the only fast way out of the "cub like" airplanes. I have a feeling if the situation called for getting out fast you wouldn't mind diving out.

I'm glad you stopped by. Since our friends from Texas all stood you up I'm happy to show you some Arkansas hospitality!!

"Stood him up"?

So that's what we call it when I show up for opening night of my son's church youth musical? :dunno:

Tough crowd!

I miss all the fun!

I can think of a million responses, all of which will get me in touble with somebody!!! :D

Well, I think in the spirit of the election season and "equal time" you should post some of your responses from each side! :goofy:

Just the thought of needing to make an emergency egress makes me cringe!

Well, Chip and I made the same deal we made with the Extra (which would have required removing my kneecaps to bail out)... If he bailed out and I could recover and land the plane, the plane's mine. :D

Of course, this time we weren't wearing chutes. :hairraise:

Man Kent, I'm jealous! For the record, I didn't "stand you up", I was just 200+ miles away from you... Were you in Houston and I knew about it in advance that would have been me taking you for a ride :).

Back