Huh?!?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Heard something tonight I've never heard before on the radio. I popped over to RYV for a quick night flight and got my night currency landings done.

I ended up having to pick up a popup IFR clearance and fly an approach back into MSN because of radiation fog. I could see the field and the runway miles out, but tower was saying that ground vis was one mile (with tower vis being 5 miles, and flight vis unlimited). So, I got local IFR and followed three jets in.

ATIS Bravo still was reporting sky clear and good vis, so the approach controller was telling people about the fog while someone else cut a new ATIS. Charlie had one mile listed.

For the first plane in, Approach advised them "RVR 6,000, rollout 1800." The next plane was similar, "RVR 6,000, rollout 2,000."

We were all landing on 36, winds were calm and the controller reported more fog on the north end of the field. So, I'm assuming the "rollout" numbers were actually the RVR for 18? I've heard RVR plenty before, but never "Rollout."

OK, just looked it up in the P/CG. My assumption was basically correct:

Pilot/Controller Glossary said:
Rollout RVR- The RVR readout values obtained from RVR equipment located nearest the rollout end of the runway.

Kent,

You do have to be very careful with that kind of fog. I've seen it go from conditions like you describe to less than 100' of vis in 5 minutes....

Happens often in the Houston, TX area.

[pleading the 5th]

Houston, San Antonio, pretty much anywhere within about 100 miles of the Gulf coast.

Back