Hugely Important Question about the Dam!

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
(the type that comes to you when you are about to fall asleep)

Bull Shoals lake is 45150 acres x 75' (assume it's full).
The dam is a half mile across and it is 250' high. Assume the top of the dam is 50' above the lake's surface.
Also assume the river banks are vertical, with an average width of 1000'.

The dam breaks catastrophically (ie not slowly) releasing the entire contents downstream in one flash.

How high does the water get at Gaston's, at it's highest. Gaston's is 2mi downstream, assume at the same elevation as the base of the dam, and a straight shot, not a curve.

Does it wipe out the restaurant but not the cabins? Does it get as high as the airplanes? Does it annihilate us in our sleep, we never feel a thing?
Oh, and....sleep well tonight!

Something came up, I think I can't make it this weekend.

My insurance is paid up on the 310, so I can sleep just fine.

Maybe we should bring the boat instead of the plane. It'll be like my "Thinking About a Boat" thread!

Bull Shoals lake is 45150 acres x 75' (assume it's full).

Not sure where Wikipedia is getting 75' for an average, but much of it, at normal pool is 180-200 feet deep. The valley the river used to be in was quite wide.

The Valley fly-in community (just downstream - the next ridge over to the right of the downwind ridge) predicts that a catastrophic break would put them in only a few feet of water at most. There is a lot of low lying land along the sides of the river that'll absorb the swell.

Slept better last night. Went down to dock and made off with a life vest, tied that on before bed.

Back