Hudson River Corridor

I light of recent events... with or without PFDs?

I light of recent events... with or without PFDs?

Without.
I thought about it, but didn't have enough ambition to go digging through the shed looking for them.
What I do need is a recommendation for a camera that takes good night time photos. All the photos I took are just squiggly lines.

What surprised me was how quiet it was. There wasn't another aircraft in the Corridor for the entire trip.

What surprised me was how quiet it was. There wasn't another aircraft in the Corridor for the entire trip.

On a Monday night? That doesn't completely surprise me. Boy does it get busy during the day with the sightseeing helicopters.

Did you do the higher skyline route with ATC, or make position reports down lower? I've always used the former ever since the option was formally made available a few years ago.

The corridor is beautiful at night. I can just imagine. Did the snow enhance the view?

The view was stunning. Even with the overcast, the snow sort of glowed in the dark. I just wish the moon had been visible.
I fly below 1,000 feet and self announce. Easier.
Yes, the rotary wingdings are a PITA during the day, especially during tourist season. Just because they are working, they seem to think they own the corridor. The number of near misses is legendary.

Without.
I thought about it, but didn't have enough ambition to go digging through the shed looking for them.
What I do need is a recommendation for a camera that takes good night time photos. All the photos I took are just squiggly lines.

Must be pretty cool.

As far as a camera goes you're after a higher shutter speed, at least 1/100 of a second.

For proper exposure you need an open aperture and higher ISO.

The ultimate solution is a Canon D1X with an f2.8* lens. That represents big dollars.

So perhaps a Canon 6D with a 2.8 lens.

At GA heights perhaps a 24-105 lens. Even though it is 4.0 the image stabilization is decent.

Faster action, at night, is a challenging photo environment.

Given the realities of space inside a GA cabin a full dSLR may not be realistic. The G-series Canons may retain enough detail at higher ISOs to work for you.

I tried a Canon 60D with 18-200 lens as a right seater in an SR22 and the thing is a handful. This was also during the day lol.

* some will say 1.8 or larger but then a lot of depth is lost in the photo.

Last edited:

Are we talking digital SLR or point&shoot? The best option for night time photos will always be a digital SLR with a large aperture lens (f1.4 or f1.8). Anything else doesn't really have the light-gathering capacity.

I fly below 1,000 feet and self announce. Easier.

I prefer the 1000-1300ft range. This is notionally reserved for aircraft transitioning the full length of the river, and has so far kept me clear of the whirligigs.

I prefer the 1000-1300ft range. This is notionally reserved for aircraft transitioning the full length of the river, and has so far kept me clear of the whirligigs.

Good point.

Also, I took the FAA online class as a refresher before going. It was worth the time.

Sun set time photos might be the best without having to have expensive large aperture sized lenses. We do weddings so we have the 1.2, 1.4, 1.8's to get the faster speeds of indoors night time weddings.

I'd love to do NYC night photos some of these days.

We came to NYC for fall foliage and got some great shots of NE.

Back