Hudson River Corridor - Video w/ ATC

Nice video ,like flying the corridor myself ,always a fun flight.

Just did that flight few weeks ago with a buddy awesome time. Cool plane does miller Oceanaire rent diamonds ?

:goofy:
Just did that flight few weeks ago with a buddy awesome time. Cool plane does miller Oceanaire rent diamonds ?

It was my first flight through. Actually did it again two days later on my way home. :)

Not sure about Miller, I own the DA40, stopped at Miller to refuel and got prepped for the Corridor. Was enroute from Charlotte to Boston.

I flew the corridor for the first time a few weeks ago on the way to West Point. I was flight lead in an AH-64D, with a Kiowa and a Blackhawk behind me. They got some awesome pictures of the apache with the statue in the background as we circled around it. This was my first trip to NY and a pretty cool way to see the city for the first time. It is very busy, but it's amazing how everyone seems to give way to an apache.

I flew the corridor for the first time a few weeks ago on the way to West Point. I was flight lead in an AH-64D, with a Kiowa and a Blackhawk behind me. They got some awesome pictures of the apache with the statue in the background as we circled around it. This was my first trip to NY and a pretty cool way to see the city for the first time. It is very busy, but it's amazing how everyone seems to give way to an apache.

When I last flew the corridor back in Jan, I saw a group of Blackhawks approaching the Statue from the VZ. That was cool.

I was heading southbound on the Jersey side at 1100 and they were down pretty low, I could barely see them.
I heard them announce their intentions to circle the Statue.

Any chance of seeing those pictures of you guys?

Now that would have been something to see! Hope to see the pics! :yes:

On the return trip, entered the Hudson just South of Albany and flew it all the way down. Got some nice pictures of Westpoint! :wink2:

Now that would have been something to see! Hope to see the pics! :yes:

On the return trip, entered the Hudson just South of Albany and flew it all the way down. Got some nice pictures of Westpoint! :wink2:

Nice video! I've always wanted to wanted to circle the lady, but never felt comfortable enough to do so. Every time I fly the corridor, it's loaded with tourist choppers so I stay at 1100' or in the Bravo (skyline route).

Have you flown the East River/Central Park route? That's awesome!

I'll be taking some friends up soon. Hopefully, they'll take some nice pics.

Great vid! I love to fly the corridor as well.
The only "annoyance" are the chopper operators with their company "ATC". Am I the only one thinking on a busy day we would like to know "what" and "where" instead of "how many passengers are standing by when you land to xyz"...?

Beautiful video. I only ever fly the Skyline route at this point, so I might be rusty on the other procedures, but I was under the impression that if you were going to conduct a transient operation (ie, above 1000ft but below the Bravo), it was supposed to involve minimal speed, heading & altitude changes, and most importantly, you're not allowed to alternate between transient ops and local ops.

In other words, you can't drop down out of 1100 to circle the statue, then climb back up to 1100 and resume the transient operation.

Not criticizing, I'm just trying to work out if the rules have changed, or if I just didn't understand them in the first place. I did a few transient ops not long after the rules came into play, and then quickly swapped to just using the Bravo exclusively.

Just checked this kneeboard PDF:
http://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/79/776/kneeboard.pdf

It does indeed define a 'transient operation' as "Aircraft transiting the Hudson River Exclusion FROM END TO END without intending to significantly change heading, altitude or airspeed"

It sounds very strict, but what they're shooting for is to take what is normally a 3d puzzle and flatten it down to a 2 lane highway, making it as simple as possible, and minimizing the possibility of midairs.

During the NPRM, there as a lot of talk of trying to isolate the local ops from transient ops, and making the transient ops start and finish at very specific gates...no joining the ride from mid way along the corridor.

I noticed from your flight path that you 'merged' as smoothly as possible back into the transient corridor, but I'm not sure it's actually ok to do that. Any thoughts on that?

Just checked this kneeboard PDF:
http://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/79/776/kneeboard.pdf

It does indeed define a 'transient operation' as "Aircraft transiting the Hudson River Exclusion FROM END TO END without intending to significantly change heading, altitude or airspeed"

It sounds very strict, but what they're shooting for is to take what is normally a 3d puzzle and flatten it down to a 2 lane highway, making it as simple as possible, and minimizing the possibility of midairs.

During the NPRM, there as a lot of talk of trying to isolate the local ops from transient ops, and making the transient ops start and finish at very specific gates...no joining the ride from mid way along the corridor.

I noticed from your flight path that you 'merged' as smoothly as possible back into the transient corridor, but I'm not sure it's actually ok to do that. Any thoughts on that?

Interesting observation, I thought I was doing it the correct way, but you do have a point. No way was I going to do the full corridor below 1000Ft in the 'crazy helicopter zone', but at the same time wanted to circle the statue. The way I understood the rules, I couldn't do that at exclusion altitude. Thinking about it, as the 900ft circle ended there could have been conflict with Sourhbound traffic at 1000' as I merged back to Northbound at 1,100ft. Curious what other's thoughts are?

Last edited:
Interesting observation, I thought I was doing it the correct way, but you do have a point. No way was I going to do the full corridor below 1000Ft in the 'crazy helicopter zone', but at the same time wanted to circle the statue. The way I understood the rules, I couldn't do that at exclusion altitude. Thinking about it, as the 900ft circle ended there could have been conflict with Sourhbound traffic at 1000' as I merged back to Northbound at 1,100ft. Curious what other's thoughts are?

I haven't done it yet, but my understanding is, if you're performing "local ops" then you must remain local for the entire corridor.

So your only other option is to fly below 1000' from the VZ, circle the Statue, then fly back to the VZ to exit.
THEN

Climb to 1100' or 1200', reverse course and re-enter the corridor as a "transient operation"

OR
Contact EWR tower south of the VZ and request the "skyline route northbound".

The first time I flew it after the new SFRA was established and requested the "skyline route southbound" from LGA tower, the controller sounded like he was unaware of what I was talking about:lol:

Last edited:
I just saw this. Thought it was just me:lol:

After the exclusion became regulatory and the "Skyline Route" name was created, I haven't had a single controller understand what "Skyline Route" meant so I have and continue to request "Hudson north in the Bravo" or "Hudson south in the Bravo."

So your only other option is to fly below 1000' from the VZ, circle the Statue, then fly back to the VZ to exit.

As a matter of fact, I think it's high time that I go ahead and finally do this, since I've always wanted to. (ever since my first version of MSFS:))

Maybe an early morning, weekday flight would be best to avoid most of the tour helicopters.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I think it's high time that I go ahead and finally do this, since I've always wanted to. (ever since my first version of MSFS:))

Maybe an early morning, weekday flight would be best to avoid most of the tour helicopters.

Just Do It. Its not difficult, just keep a good eye out and you'll be fine. Sunday afternoons are the best there, keeps you on your toes :)

Only annoyance are the helicopter operators using the unicom as their company radio.

I think the excursion from the transiting procedure would make a good NASA report, if anything to bring attention to the confusion surrounding the rules as they are written.

I haven't done it yet, but my understanding is, if you're performing "local ops" then you must remain local for the entire corridor.

THEN

Climb to 1100' or 1200', reverse course and re-enter the corridor as a "transient operation"

OR
Contact EWR tower south of the VZ and request the "skyline route northbound".

The first time I flew it after the new SFRA was established and requested the "skyline route southbound" from LGA tower, the controller sounded like he was unaware of what I was talking about:lol:

Was just reviewing a friends' route on the Diamond forums. He did just what you suggested. On a Southbound flight, flew passed the statue at 1,100' to VZ Bridge, then turned around, descended, and flew back up to the statue for 5 circles. He then departed back to the South. This seems like the correct procedure, wish it was specifically mentioned in the .gov course as I would imagine many pilots making the full transition would stop for a lap or two around the Statue. :)

Will file NASA for the heck of it...

Was a great experience regardless!

I think I remember seeing a video of a guy circling the statue while going through the Bravo. If you tell the controller and they clear you to do that, why wouldn't you be allowed to as long as you maintain your altitude?

Very cool video thanks for posting!!! I haven't done the Corridor in way too long going to have to go sometime soon, I prefer the transient ops above 1000' or in the Bravo just feel more comfortable going through that way.

haven't done this yet, but planning on it soon. one question i have whenever i read about the hudson trip - is there any reason not request clearance into the bravo? even for local, it seems like it keeps you (a little) out of harm's way.

Back