HTML help? (NA)

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Does anybody know how to insert a graphic into an HTML document title so that the browser will display the graphic along with the text of the title? What I'm talking about is something like the image my browser displays to the left of "Pilots of America Message Board..."

Put the following in your head tag:
Code:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="iconfileurl">

replace iconfileurl with your icon

the icon must be 16x16 in the old .ico format.

edit: I should point out also, that I believe the file must be named "favicon.ico" and be in the root of your webserver.

Last edited:
I've used the same code Nick gave you above. In my case, the iconfileurl was a whole jpg (28k) and it displays rather nicely.
A good reason for having it is you can drag it (your icon) to your desktop. Click on the icon on your desktop and there you go.
My sample code: <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="images/SARDOG 2.JPG">

I'm confused! I did as you guys suggested, and it works fine in Mozilla regardless of whether the icon file is a .gif or .ico.

However, IE 7.x seems to want to display some icon of its own and ignore my favicon.ico... (and I used the Photoshop plugin to convert my gif to an ico).

Any ideas?

I'm confused! I did as you guys suggested, and it works fine in Mozilla regardless of whether the icon file is a .gif or .ico.

However, IE 7.x seems to want to display some icon of its own and ignore my favicon.ico... (and I used the Photoshop plugin to convert my gif to an ico).

Any ideas?

Did you put it in the root directory of the webserver? That was what caused my problem for a while (Mozilla tends to allow it anywhere (as it should be), IE6 at least required it to be in the root folder).

Back