HTML and Visual Basic

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All:

I do my wife's web page using Front Page and basic HTML.

I program in Visual Basic 4 and write simple programs.

Why do I see this talk board in HTML format but have Visual Basic codes turned on?

What is this web board written in? Is it Visual Basic with some HTML mixed in or does the Visual Basic have HTML contained within it?

What about the "red board"? Is it written in the same language.

Is this true for "all" talk boards?

Thanks;
Terry

I *think* this and AOPA's board are both running in PHP code. Could be wrong, though..

Hi All:

I do my wife's web page using Front Page and basic HTML.

I program in Visual Basic 4 and write simple programs.

Why do I see this talk board in HTML format but have Visual Basic codes turned on?

What is this web board written in? Is it Visual Basic with some HTML mixed in or does the Visual Basic have HTML contained within it?

What about the "red board"? Is it written in the same language.

Is this true for "all" talk boards?

Thanks;
Terry

:D VbCode !=Visual Basic code vB here is VBulletin, which happens to be the name of the board software, which is written in PHP.

vBCode like
Code:
[B] [URL=]
has become a de facto standard on other boards.

the vB code the forums refer to is NOT Visual Basic. vB stands for vBulletin, the name of the forum software. You can see at the bottom of the page that the board is "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4".

vB code is a set of custom tags that you can use in posts to format text. They're similar to HTML codes, but use square brackets instead of angle brackets.

the vB code the forums refer to is NOT Visual Basic. vB stands for vBulletin, the name of the forum software. You can see at the bottom of the page that the board is "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4".

vB code is a set of custom tags that you can use in posts to format text. They're similar to HTML codes, but use square brackets instead of angle brackets.

I was just getting ready to type all that when I saw it already posted.

So all I need to say is: yeah, that!

What you use to create your webpage depends a lot on what you're going to do with it. With Front Page--I highly advise you test the results in other browsers (other than Internet Exploiter) since Front Page pages can look wacky on other computers (like Macs) and in some Mozilla browsers.

Good Luck

terry, XXXXXXX (word deleted because it is starting a semantics argument) "typing out in a text editor" HTML since 1994.

Last edited:
I was just getting ready to type all that when I saw it already posted.

So all I need to say is: yeah, that!

What you use to create your webpage depends a lot on what you're going to do with it. With Front Page--I highly advise you test the results in other browsers (other than Internet Exploiter) since Front Page pages can look wacky on other computers (like Macs) and in some Mozilla browsers.

Good Luck

terry, hardcoding in HTML since 1994.
Terry, good on ya, but HTML is a markup language. You don't "code" in it. ;)

Find a IF or GOTO in HTML...

Last edited:
I disagree.

You can "code" in HTML, but you can't "program" in it.
Code usually refers to programming, not word processing.

HTML editing when it's pure HTML is just word processing, not coding.

Code usually refers to programming, not word processing.

HTML editing when it's pure HTML is just word processing, not coding.

I'll have to remember that the next time I'm having a conversation....say, how do you pronounce <HTML> and <BODY> anyways?

me at next big conversation said:
Less Than Hetmil greater than, less than body greater than, less than pre greater than how are you doing today, dude? less than slash pre greater than less than body greater than less than hetmil greater than.

To me, any language that one can figure out what they're doing using pseudo code is coding (that means every single language, be it markup, compiled, interpreted or anything else).

From the dictionary: "a system used for brevity or secrecy of communication, in which arbitrarily chosen words, letters, or symbols are assigned definite meanings. "

Yes - there is another definition that specifies coding burely in binary, but that's an awefully specific definition that I doubt many of us actually fit.

BTW - I can write a program in basic, php, java or any number of other languages using a word processor....does that mean its not coding?

I'm not saying its not a specialized form of word processing, mind you.

But internally, do you know how MS word remembers where to start and stop bolds or underlines or font changes?

Tag Markup.

Just like HTML. ;)

I'll have to remember that the next time I'm having a conversation....say, how do you pronounce <HTML> and <BODY> anyways?

To me, any language that one can figure out what they're doing using pseudo code is coding (that means every single language, be it markup, compiled, interpreted or anything else).

From the dictionary: "a system used for brevity or secrecy of communication, in which arbitrarily chosen words, letters, or symbols are assigned definite meanings. "

Yes - there is another definition that specifies coding burely in binary, but that's an awefully specific definition that I doubt many of us actually fit.

BTW - I can write a program in basic, php, java or any number of other languages using a word processor....does that mean its not coding?

The classic definition (going way back.. I'm OLD son.) is a programming language needs:
  • Sequential execution (10 First do.... -> 20 then do .... -> 30 then do ....)
  • Flow control (i.e. GOTO 10)
  • Conditional branching (IF ... THEN GOTO 10)

It occurred to me that Conditional could be unconditional flow control with a constant test (IF 1==1) but you still need the flow control command after for it to be useful.

Last edited:
HTML isn't even execution.

It is rendering.

Back