HSI and Garmin 430 stopped talking

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
It appears that they had a falling out of sorts today and are no longer speaking to each other.

The HSI had been working fine, but midway through my flight, I punched in a new destination and while the 430 displayed it, the HSI never picked up the signal. I confirmed that the Garmin was in GPS mode, but nothing on the HSI (needle off the scale to the right/did not center).

Tried updated the destination and still nothing. Turned the 430 off and then back on - no dice. Even tried switching to VLOC and dialing in known VOR (receiving fine on NAV 2 OBS).

I was still receiving DME from the NAV1 (Garmin), but just never got a VOR/LOC or GS to display on the HSI).

Anyone experience this problem? Before I fly the Baron to the avionics shop, I'd like to try and narrow the problem down. Is there any way to determine if it is the HSI that failed or the 430 output? The slaved gyro of the HSI continued to work just fine, so it wasn't like the HSI just crapped out.

What HSI?

Can you bring nav 2 up on the HSI? Does it work in vloc? Does it do anything on the initial garmin start up test?

What HSI?

Can you bring nav 2 up on the HSI? Does it work in vloc? Does it do anything on the initial garmin start up test?

It's a Century HSI. Doesn't work in VLOC or GPS and there is no connection to the Collins NAV 2.

I did not notice anything on the initial Garmin startup, but will look more closely next time.

It appears that they had a falling out of sorts today and are no longer speaking to each other.

The HSI had been working fine, but midway through my flight, I punched in a new destination and while the 430 displayed it, the HSI never picked up the signal. I confirmed that the Garmin was in GPS mode, but nothing on the HSI (needle off the scale to the right/did not center).

Tried updated the destination and still nothing. Turned the 430 off and then back on - no dice. Even tried switching to VLOC and dialing in known VOR (receiving fine on NAV 2 OBS).

I was still receiving DME from the NAV1 (Garmin), but just never got a VOR/LOC or GS to display on the HSI).

Anyone experience this problem? Before I fly the Baron to the avionics shop, I'd like to try and narrow the problem down. Is there any way to determine if it is the HSI that failed or the 430 output? The slaved gyro of the HSI continued to work just fine, so it wasn't like the HSI just crapped out.

On start up, does it still properly show the half scale needle deflection test?

Hmmm, too bad it doesn't have a hookup to NAV2. Sounds like you're in for a trip to the avionics shop. The one thing I always do though first when things like this happen is slide the radio in and out (I look at all the pins the first time to make sure they are in good shape and square in their position) of the rack a couple or three times to make sure I have a good plug contact.

I'm mostly curious if the problem is in the HSI or the Garmin. Might be upgrading to an Aspen PFD sooner than I planned...

Check it in the startup test mode. If it doesn't work then, it'll probably be plugs/cabling or the output drivers on the 430.

My older 430 did a similar thing last year and it was the 430 output drivers. Pegged the HSI on one side intermittently, then totally. Gar in wouldn't fix, other than to upgrade it to a 4330W, which we did.

I'm mostly curious if the problem is in the HSI or the Garmin. Might be upgrading to an Aspen PFD sooner than I planned...

Yeah, that's why it would have been nice if you had the NAV1/NAV2 switch, instant diagnostic....

Check it in the startup test mode. If it doesn't work then, it'll probably be plugs/cabling or the output drivers on the 430.

My older 430 did a similar thing last year and it was the 430 output drivers. Pegged the HSI on one side intermittently, then totally. Gar in wouldn't fix, other than to upgrade it to a 4330W, which we did.

So you were able to fix it by upgrading to WAAS? My 430 is currently non-WAAS

So you were able to fix it by upgrading to WAAS? My 430 is currently non-WAAS

The only way Garmin will fix the older units is to do the upgrade, so yes. They won't repair the older boxes as a repair, just an upgrade.

Yeah, that's why it would have been nice if you had the NAV1/NAV2 switch, instant diagnostic....

Yeah, the only switch I have between NAV1/2 is for the DME. The DME still receives the signal from the Garmin.

Yeah, the only switch I have between NAV1/2 is for the DME. The DME still receives the signal from the Garmin.

Is it the same pin out feed as the HSI? What signal does the DME get from the Garmin anyway? Radio Frequency?:confused:

The only way Garmin will fix the older units is to do the upgrade, so yes. They won't repair the older boxes as a repair, just an upgrade.

Not quite, they will do some fixes without doing the WAAS conversion, about a year ago I had a guy cook the screen trying to replace a battery on a 530, garmin fixed it but without a WAAS upgrade.

The WAAS upgrade is basically a new unit from what I hear.

You'll be happy if you need to. My Aspen will show if it isn't getting a valid signal from the navigator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like the Synchro Transformer has burn out in your NSD360 HSI.
We have experience working on it if you want to send your HSI to our shop in Arkansas. We can evaluate it for free.
:rolleyes2:

Last edited:
Sounds like the Synchro Transformer has burn out in your NSD360 HSI.

We have experience working on it if you want to send your HSI to our shop in Arkansas. We can evaluate it for free.

:rolleyes2:

Actually it turned out to be the Garmin which is on its way back to the factory to become a WAAS 430.

I'm in the same boat. My 430 (non WAAS) and my CDI (not sure of the brand) stopped talking last year. Seems it is a common problem and I found other references to the issue somewhere on one of these forums I spend way too much time on.

the only "fix" I know of is to do the GNS430 -> GNS430W upgrade. I wouldn't worry about it, but I really want to fly IMC at some point and the CDI is required equipment.

So - anther 5 AMUs. Might pony up another 5 AMUs for the GDL 88. Just hope my wife hasn't figured out how to google me on POA ....

Back