How would you log this?

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I need all the XC time I can legally log. Is there an interpretation that will allow me to log the entire 4.0 from this holiday weekend as XC?

Day 1: 1.2hrs dist over 50nm
Day 2: 1.4hrs 180 return to land at departure airport
Days 3-4 no flight conducted
Day 5: Return home 1.4hrs dist over 50nm

Cross country must be a landing at other than departure airport. Distance not relative unless counting total minimum requirements for a rating.

I need all the XC time I can legally log. Is there an interpretation that will allow me to log the entire 4.0 from this holiday weekend as XC?

Day 1: 1.2hrs dist over 50nm
Day 2: 1.4hrs 180 return to land at departure airport
Days 3-4 no flight conducted
Day 5: Return home 1.4hrs dist over 50nm

Looks like 2.6 CC to me. Unless that flight on day 2 included a landing at an airport OTHER than the departure airport, it doesn't count.

Logging toward the aeronautical experience requirement of a private or commercial certificate? Instrument rating? ATP certificate?

Cross country time toward an ATP does not require a landing at another airport, just a flight more than 50nm straight distance from the originating airport. Cross country time toward instrument/commercial is a different story.

I did a flight today to two airports, then back to my departure airport. Total of three legs. First two were well,over 50nm. The last one was 49nm. Does this whole flight count as XC time?

For a more interesting discussion -- lets say he did this all in one day...with each leg one after another. Then what would the XC time be?

I did a flight today to two airports, then back to my departure airport. Total of three legs. First two were well,over 50nm. The last one was 49nm. Does this whole flight count as XC time?
once you made that first landing more than 50nm from the original point of departure, all the rest of the flight is also XC, too.

once you made that first landing more than 50nm from the original point of departure, all the rest of the flight is also XC, too.

So what differentiates that from JayBird's example?

For a more interesting discussion -- lets say he did this all in one day...with each leg one after another. Then what would the XC time be?

I'm not trying to log anything unearned, however I've learned a lot on this site about re-reading and interpreting the regs about what you can and cannot do.

Only reason I have the breakdown like this is because I jot it down unofficial. When I report time to the club treasurer, I report 4.0 XC. My logbook has no entry for the flight yet, so Jesse's question is exactly what I was looking for. Is it a legitimate interpretation?

Where did he say it was three separate flights?
In the first post. One flight Day 1, one flight Day 2, one flight Day 5. If one were to log it otherwise, it would reduce the concept to absurdity -- you could buy a plane 51nm away, ferry it home, and then log every hour for the rest of the time you own the plane as one big "flight" of all XC time.

That is actually a pretty good question. I THINK (but I am not sure) that it has been established that in that case it would all be XC.

That is actually a pretty good question. I THINK (but I am not sure) that it has been established that in that case it would all be XC.
The Chief Counsel has made it clear that questions like this are answered on a case-by-case basis. While they did address the issue of repositioning to begin a XC flight, they did not address the issue of apparently separate local flights made between XC legs. My guess is that in conjunction with AFS-800, they would say the local flight does not count as XC time, but unless/until someone asks, the question is up for grabs. As a "defensive medicine" measure, I would recommend not counting it unless you don't mind having your IR practical test delayed while the question is resolved to the DPE's satisfaction, and probably, I think, delayed further still while you make up that time with "real" XC time..

I don't have a working Hobbs so I write down engine stop and start times and figure out my logged time from that. For this reason I usually end up logging each leg where the engine was shutdown separately. As a renter pilot what I logged was just what was billed from the Hobbs, often the day's time summed on just one line listing multiple destinations.

For example, these weekend I flew a Pilots N Paws flight which involved flying to one airport (more than 50 nm from my home base), meeting a dog, flying to another airport (more than 50 nm enroute, less than 50 nm from my home base), and dropping the dog off before heaving home. I logged this as three legs all XC. I think this is appropriate and if I was still renting I would have logged the whole thing on one line as XC with both intermediate airports listed. If I'd spent an overnight at OWD and flew the 38 miles home the next day I think I would not log that as XC.

Back