How to use this forum - effective 3/24/2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
This forum is one of those forums designated as "confidential" on Pilots of America. This means that you may, if you choose, post in this particular forum anonymously, and be assured that no public link between your post and you will be displayed in any form.

This is allowed so that you may ask questions, relay personal stories, or share other information which you might not otherwise want to do so with your name attached.

Posting Anonymously
In order to post anonymously in this forum, when you create a new thread or a new reply, in the Miscellaneous Options section (below the "Submit New Thread" button), select the checkbox next to "Post Anonymously?".

This will cause your post to display as "Anonymous" and no information about you will be displayed to the general public. You will still be able to edit your post to make changes or corrections, and you will also be able to choose to remove the anonymous flag from your post if you are so inclined.

How to Post Anonymously - Old Method
In order to post anonymously you must Log Out of the forums using the Log Out link in the top right portion of every screen on PilotsOfAmerica.com.

Once you are logged out, you may return to this forum and enter a new post as a Guest, or enter an "alias" username under which to post your message. Whether you supply a username or not, your post will be submitted completely anonymously and nobody will know who wrote it. (See Caution, below)

In order to begin posting under your username again, you must log in again with your username and password.

This method is still permitted - but posts made with this method will not be editable.

Caution
Please be advised that your Internet Protocol Address (IP) is logged with every post, regardless of anonymity. The administration of Pilots of America capture this information for security purposes only and will only use the posted IP to determine the identity of an anonymous poster if the anonymous poster is abusing the Pilots of America forums. All posts made on Pilots of America forums which violate the Rules of Conduct can and will be held against the registered user who abuses the ability to post anonymously, and such abuses can lead to suspension or permanent banning of such an abuser, by username and by IP.

Last edited:
I tried the anonymous button and it seemed to except it displayed my avitar. Since this is less than anon, I tried to delete and use the Guest method. Couldn't do that either. Can you delete a post? Deleted all the text but the thread was still there with my avitar.

It was not that important for me to be anon in this case so I put it back rather than cause confusion.

Eric

When you use the anonymous button, YOU still see your own identity and avatar. That way you can go back and edit your post if you need to.

Nobody else sees who you are.

To use the guest method you must be logged out. If you aren't able to log out properly, you'll have to delete your browser cookies and then log in again.

Interesting. So your saying that even though I don't see my name or id displayed just the avatar, other will see nothing? I assumed when I saw 'anonymous' in the header that I was seeing what everyone else sees.

Eric

Correct - when you use the "post anonymously" function, the system keeps track of who really posted it, and since you posted it, you get the tools to edit your post and see your own picture because its you looking at it.

If you post while logged out, as a guest, you will not ever be able to edit the post, because the system wont' know that you are you.

Yes, got that, that's why I used it. But it seemed the avatar was still displayed even though my name and User ID were not.

My other question was, is there anyway for the author to delete a post?

You can only delete posts below the starter post in a thread. You can not delete the first post because that would delete the entire thread (including other people's replies). However, I think I'll change that setting in the anonymous posting allowed forums - because there might be good reason for the OP (original poster) to delete the thread.

Done - you should now be able to delete your OWN threads in Medical Matters and Lessons Learned. The delete option is in the Thread Tools menu.

Not for me yet. I tried starting over, loging out, refresh, still no delete choice on 'Thread Tools' pull down.

Eric

I'm curious, is this anon for anonymity to other members? Or would the FAA ever consider to use posts as evidence in a case.

I ask because I know someone who ran a car enthusiasts board. Among other things, some people would post stories about street racing. The board owner was suppenaed and had to testify in court over a street racing incident. I don't know exactly if he had to provide the database, but it's something to consider if you are posting as anon. Your userid is still associated with the post in the back-end. ( unless you're logged out in which case only your IP is )

It is for anonymity to other members and to anyone else who might be reading it. Yes, as I've said, if you use the post as anon checkbox, the system does remember who you are, however it does so in a way that's tricky even for us to get at, if we ever really wanted to.

If the FAA were ever to decide to subpoena us, well, its so darn fiddly that I'm afraid the data might be damaged during the attempt to recover it.

;)

Greebo said:
If the FAA were ever to decide to subpoena us, well, its so darn fiddly that I'm afraid the data might be damaged during the attempt to recover it.

;)

Arthur Andersen "R" us

I am sure I have NO idea at all what you are implying!

;)

Internet principle #1:
"Post as if you are saying it to a huge room full of the public, law officials, your peers, your family"

Thread has been closed due to repeated off-site spam.

Effective immediately, all posts in the "Medical Topics" forum must be on point and relevant to the question posed by the OP. Off-topic posts or tangents that are not relevant or constructive to the question asked will be deleted and warnings will be issued to the individuals who make these posts.

Posting a reminder here...

The "anon" feature is only for posting personal, sensitive information. It is NOT to allow lurkers or otherwise non-registered members to avoid getting an account. It is also not there to allow people to make snarky replies that they don't want tied to them personally.

As a general rule, if you're the OP to a topic, you probably have reason to be anonymous. If you are replying to the topic, you probably don't have a reason to be anonymous unless you are sharing sensitive information.

Recently there's been an uptick in the number of anonymous post attempts that do not have a valid reason for being anonymous, and in many cases are inappropriate regardless of anonymous status. This is a reminder so that people understand the expectations of the anon feature and don't wonder why their post isn't being approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back