How to transition from PPC to SP

PPC1052

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PPC
I did a search, but couldn't find this--

What are the requirements for the holder of a private pilot certificate to transition to sport pilot, and thereby avoid the requirement for getting a class 3 medical authorization or better?

Thanks.

No requirements at all. Let your medical lapse, and then fly light sport airplanes in accordance with the sport pilot rules and limitations.

You don't have to trade in your certificate. You just can't exercise private pilot privileges like night flight or instrument flight or flying a standard airplane or.... without your medical.

You're covered as far as airspaces and other sport pilot endorsements go, since your private pilot training covered controlled airspace and radio comms and all that stuff.

That said, if you're new to light sport airplanes, get some dual in one before flying. They're sufficiently different that it's a good idea.

That said, if you're new to light sport airplanes, get some dual in one before flying. They're sufficiently different that it's a good idea.

That depends on what he has been flying and what he will fly as a SP. There are a lot of legacy airplanes that are Light Sport eligible that if he had been flying one of those, he could continue flying one of those and the transition is seemless.

But as a general rule, the newer Light Sport planes require some getting used to. Self checkouts are not typically recommended.

So, you can just let your medical lapse, hop in a light sport elligible plane, and if the FAA comes calling, just say you are operating under light sport privileges? You don't need to file anything with the FAA letting them know you are transitioning?

So, you can just let your medical lapse, hop in a light sport elligible plane, and if the FAA comes calling, just say you are operating under light sport privileges? You don't need to file anything with the FAA letting them know you are transitioning?
That's right. Once you earn a Pilot certificate you keep it for life unless you voluntarily surrender it or have it revoked through an administrative action (enforcement).

You have all the privileges of that certificate AND lesser certificates, provided you meet the requirements to exercise those Privileges.

For example, I hold a commercial pilot certificate, airplane single and multiengine land, instrument airplane.

As long as I have a second class medical I can exercise my commercial privileges.
As long as I have a third class medical I can exercise my private privileges. I don't HAVE to renew my second class medical.
If I let my medical lapse, I retain sport pilot privileges.
I must have a current flight review for all levels.

My instrument privileges depend upon my medical and my instrument currency. My passenger-carrying privileges depend on my recency of flight experience.

Through all of this, as far as the FAA is concerned, I'm a commercial pilot.

The only certificate I have that requires renewal is my CFI.

Last edited:
Pretty much, as long as you have a valid US drivers license and the reason you let your medical lapse isn't that you know, after consultation with your physician, that you have a medical condition which would make you unable to pilot a LSA safely.

You just can't exercise private pilot privileges like night flight or instrument flight or flying a standard airplane or.... .

What do you mean a standard airplane? An SP can jump in a J3 Cub, Aeronca 7AC, some Ercoupes, etc. if they meet LSA criteria.

61.303 and following - particularly 61.315

If you have
(2) Only a U.S. driver's license

and
(ii) At least a recreational pilot certificate with a category and class rating,

you may operate
(A) Any light-sport aircraft in that category and class,

and
( 1 ) You do not have to hold any of the endorsements required by this subpart, but you must comply with the limitations in §61.315

You have to comply with any restrictions on the driver's license, such as wearing glasses or whatever. Now, I know your grandmother has a driver's license that says she can only drive directly back and forth to the pharmacy, and I confess I am not sure how to comply with that restriction. :)

You have to comply with any restrictions on the driver's license, such as wearing glasses or whatever. Now, I know your grandmother has a driver's license that says she can only drive directly back and forth to the pharmacy...
According to the FAA:
A Person Using a Current and Valid U.S. Driver’s License Must

[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]Comply With Each Restriction and Limitation Imposed on Your Drivers License [/FONT][/FONT]
Source:​

So, your grandmother may only fly her LSA to and from the pharmacy.
, and I confess I am not sure how to comply with that restriction. :)
Perhaps they have a "fly-through" window? I've heard this brought up before in connection with people whose DL's were limited (usually due to drunk driving problems) to driving back and forth to work. Since Sport Pilots are prohibited from flying in connection with a business, that one pretty much grounds them.​

Last edited:
Suppose that a person with private pilot certificate has an SI with a validity of 5 years, after which it has to be renewed. If this person does not renew the SI, can he/she
just fly as an SP?

Suppose that a person with private pilot certificate has an SI with a validity of 5 years, after which it has to be renewed. If this person does not renew the SI, can he/she
just fly as an SP?

Yes...so long as the condition requiring the SI doesn't render one unable to safely operate as a sport pilot. At the end of the five years, if the SI is not renewed, the medical certificate simply expires.

What do you mean a standard airplane? An SP can jump in a J3 Cub, Aeronca 7AC, some Ercoupes, etc. if they meet LSA criteria.

True. I meant standard airplanes that weren't lsa compliant.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

The traditional way to transition to light sport aircraft is to jump in one, try to land, and ball it up.

You have to comply with any restrictions on the driver's license, such as wearing glasses or whatever. Now, I know your grandmother has a driver's license that says she can only drive directly back and forth to the pharmacy, and I confess I am not sure how to comply with that restriction. :)
I'd be trying to find a pharmacy at an airport! ;)

According to the FAA:
Source:​

So, your grandmother may only fly her LSA to and from the pharmacy.

Perhaps they have a "fly-through" window? I've heard this brought up before in connection with people whose DL's were limited (usually due to drunk driving problems) to driving back and forth to work. Since Sport Pilots are prohibited from flying in connection with a business, that one pretty much grounds them.​
What if said restricted-driving sport pilot worked at one airport and lived near another? ;)

The traditional way to transition to light sport aircraft is to jump in one, try to land, and ball it up.
Sadly it is the truth, or at least used to be. In 2008, an Avemco bigwig made a presentaton at Oshkosh that claimed, among other things, that a majority of LSA accidents occur within 10 hours of taking posession. He suggested that dealer's checkout was inadequate. On the other hand, if a dealer refuses to sell you an airplane unless you fly 10 hours and 25 landings with their CFI, tell me if you would not consider another dealer. I really wish someone found out if Avemco's data changed any in 2012, as transitioning pilots start to understand that the transition may not be as trivial as expected.

Back