How to survive a plane crash

Interesting, thanks for posting this. I'm flying commercial tomorrow, so this is timely! (Counting rows in front of you to an exit is smart in case you end up in a cabin full of smoke and can't see. It's not something I had thought about before).

Interesting, thanks for posting this. I'm flying commercial tomorrow, so this is timely! (Counting rows in front of you to an exit is smart in case you end up in a cabin full of smoke and can't see. It's not something I had thought about before).
Remember- the nearest exit may be behind you.

And before Any makes the (valid) point, most of the people behind you didn't look and will probably try to go forward anyway.

Remember- the nearest exit may be behind you.

And before Any makes the (valid) point, most of the people behind you didn't look and will probably try to go forward anyway.
So if I were to go behind me, I'd be like a salmon. Which may or may not be a good thing. :dunno:

They once were giving us the speech about life vests under the seats in case of an over-water landing. This was for a flight over the North Atlantic, at night, in December.

Drinking heavily is a better option. Then the death will be less painful.

There's a reason I sit exit row.

You pay extra for that now. BTW, never fly Spirit unless you're already in a wheelchair, because they'll put you in one.

Meh, I fly Spirit. Are you saying they have a higher accident record than the other carriers? Where is that data?

They once were giving us the speech about life vests under the seats in case of an over-water landing. This was for a flight over the North Atlantic, at night, in December.

Drinking heavily is a better option. Then the death will be less painful.

I always enjoyed that briefing flying out of Anchorage in January too. Ever seen the great circle route from Anchorage to Seattle? Lose more than one and you are screwed.

But hey we might end up in the drink at the end of the runway. The hovercraft might arrive in time. Or not.

Meh, I fly Spirit. Are you saying they have a higher accident record than the other carriers? Where is that data?

No, the damn seats are bolt upright, no recline, and knee into seat tight. I've had 2 back surgeries, I was crippled finishing a FL-CA flight.

Last edited:
No, the damn seats are bolt upright, no recline, and knee into seat tight. I've had 2 back surgeries, I was crippled finishing a FL-CA flight.

Oh. I don't find that. They recline a bit and not too bad on the legroom. Maybe you got a bad one. That is a long flight, I made it many times but never on Spirit. I usually do the FLL - LGA Spirit run. Last time was early this month. $55 round-trip thanks to the $9 fare club.

Oh. I don't find that. They recline a bit and not too bad on the legroom. Maybe you got a bad one. That is a long flight, I made it many times but never on Spirit. I usually do the FLL - LGA Spirit run. Last time was early this month. $55 round-trip thanks to the $9 fare club.

Only on POA could we argue about the amount of legroom in a commercial plane, and not mention the length of your own legs.

Only on POA could we argue about the amount of legroom in a commercial plane, and not mention the length of your own legs.

I'm 6', 158lbs and wear a 29-30 waist w/ 32" or 33" inseam pant. None of the seats on the plane I was on reclined in the slightest.

I'm 6', 158lbs and wear a 29-30 waist w/ 32" or 33" inseam pant. None of the seats on the plane I was on reclined in the slightest.

Gonna start callin' you Flaco :D

I picked my seats near the very back of the plane for the flight to PHL. I do that so I can get on first. I don't care so much about getting off. I forget (sorry) which part of the plane is the safest. Probably doesn't matter, I'm so relaxed now when I fly - nothing like before when I didn't know what was going on.

Back