How to start voluntary UDS program?

airbear

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AirBear
Hi,

I'm exactly 1 year into trying to obtain my medical certification. Lots of waiting and back-and-forth with the FAA so far...

I'm expecting to need to be able to show record of proof of sobriety due to a drug event that occurred 20 years ago. Based on recommendations I've received, I would like to get ahead of the FAA so that I don't end up in a situation where they give me 60 days to submit proof and end up denying me because it's impossible to cram 6 months of random drug tests into the 60 days they give you to respond. So in anticipation, I'd like to start now.

They might not ask for it, but it is likely that they will. Even if they don't -- if they require me to see a psychologist or psychiatrist, I believe that this would be very helpful to have.

Can anyone recommend the best (and most cost effective way) of going about this? Based on my conversations with the FAA, it sounds like I could find a normal practitioner that is willing to set me up on a random testing program.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything important to know? I already have 2 random screens (late august from a surprise request from the FAA and early November as part of a substance abuse eval that the FAA required me to do), so I'm already started. I'm also curious if there are any other details (I've heard that 7 tests in 6 months, or 13 tests in 12 months is typical) and if urine testing is sufficient (I've heard of others having a random blood test in there as well). Whatever I need to do I am going to do, but any information you can offer could help.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm exactly 1 year into trying to obtain my medical certification. Lots of waiting and back-and-forth with the FAA so far...

I'm expecting to need to be able to show record of proof of sobriety due to a drug event that occurred 20 years ago. Based on recommendations I've received, I would like to get ahead of the FAA so that I don't end up in a situation where they give me 60 days to submit proof and end up denying me because it's impossible to cram 6 months of random drug tests into the 60 days they give you to respond. So in anticipation, I'd like to start now.

They might not ask for it, but it is likely that they will. Even if they don't -- if they require me to see a psychologist or psychiatrist, I believe that this would be very helpful to have.

Can anyone recommend the best (and most cost effective way) of going about this? Based on my conversations with the FAA, it sounds like I could find a normal practitioner that is willing to set me up on a random testing program.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything important to know? I already have 2 random screens (late august from a surprise request from the FAA and early November as part of a substance abuse eval that the FAA required me to do), so I'm already started. I'm also curious if there are any other details (I've heard that 7 tests in 6 months, or 13 tests in 12 months is typical) and if urine testing is sufficient (I've heard of others having a random blood test in there as well). Whatever I need to do I am going to do, but any information you can offer could help.

Thanks in advance!
Do you have an AME? If not, I would start there. And if you do have an AME, I think your question would be best directed towards your AME.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
PM me with your number and I will give you a full detail process.

Back