How to re letter or redesignate a drive.

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I have a WD back up drive that I use for my office computer. Its designated the E: Drive and I use it with the Acronis Back up program to back up my computer.

So today for the first time I plug my Droid X into my computer via USB so that I can up load some photos for a case from the droid to the file on the computer. At the time my back up drive was not plugged in.

The phone installed Motohelper and all of a sudden it became the E: drive. This is a problem as the Acronis program backs up to the E: drive which is the WD drive.

I plug in the WD drive and now its designated the G: drive. Ugh!! So I uninstall the Motohelper and unplug the WD drive and plug it back in and its still G: drive. ugh again.

How do I redesignate the WD drive as the E: drive?? Thanks.

Windows I assume? What version?
When you unplugged the WD drive did you unload it first? There should be a little icon on the bottom right of the task bar for you to do that.
Or you might have to disconnect the WD and reboot. The reason for the reboot would be that the system still has the E: drive mapped even though you uninstalled it. You might be able to disconnect the E: drive (method depends on version) but you might try right-click the drive in the My Computer window to see if there is a disconnect option.

Back