How to post a video?

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Hubby got a new camera -- our first ever video camera since the old camcorder from 15-20 years ago. He mounted it in the airplane and I wanted to know how to post a 3-minute clip here on PoA.

Is it necessary to put it onto YouTube first. We'd rather not do that. If it is required, then we need to know how that is done, too.

Although we have been computer-savvy for a few decades, we were not paying attention while this video stuff got popular.

Aviation related how?

Hubby got a new camera -- our first ever video camera since the old camcorder from 15-20 years ago. He mounted it in the airplane and I wanted to know how to post a 3-minute clip here on PoA.

Is it necessary to put it onto YouTube first. We'd rather not do that. If it is required, then we need to know how that is done, too.

Although we have been computer-savvy for

Peggy, I use Vimeo. It's free (or you can pay for the fancier version) and you can have a lot of control over who sees your video. Some of my videos there are private that only family can see, like the video I made of scattering my father's ashes over our farm. You can make a video password protected there if you want and you can also make it so that people can't make comments if that's what you want. Here is a link to one of my videos so you can have a link to the Vimeo site:

http://vimeo.com/6294858

YT has some privacy allowances, I think the options are
Public
Only those with the link
Only specific people; I guess they need to have an account.

Although we have been computer-savvy for a few decades, we were not paying attention while this video stuff got popular.

Click on the paperclip icon at the top of the frame.

If the file is big I'd suggest you put it on YouTube or Vimeo. Might not be able to add it as an attachment here if it's too big.

Click on the paperclip on the top of the box here.... It takes you to "browse" click on the video and post it here....

Ben's 824kb = 12 secs. the max for a wmv is 10mb...
presumably that is worth 2+ minutes of similar content video?

If the question was how to mount a camera on a plane I'd be fine. This is how to post a video. Not being cranky.

If the question was how to mount a camera on a plane I'd be fine. .
I don't think you'd be fine. You seem to think you're the forum police and no one else really cares about this but you. Don't you have anything better to do???? You always have the option of starting your own forum and you could run it just how you want.

Not being cranky.
Yes, you are.

I've wondered how you embed YouTube videos in POA posts. I
I've tried to use the embed code and paste but that didn't work in preview?

Okay, fine. I'll drop it. I thought I made a pretty good argument...but whatever.

If the question was how to mount a camera on a plane I'd be fine. This is how to post a video. Not being cranky.
OK, maybe not cranky! Just obstinate and obtuse. Peggy is a very respected member of POA and if she mounted a camera in her plane and wants to post a video here, those of us that respect her want to see it. I wish I could help her, but my tech savvy skills ended about the time of Pac Man.

I think you should apologize. And not one of those "I'm sorry you got your feelings hurt" kind of apologies.

I've tried to use the embed code and paste but that didn't work in preview?

I am curious too.. I just tried 4 times and got no joy each time...

Nobody. I quoted this websites own headings. For some reason I thought that meant something...sorry.

type in
[ytx]abcdefg[/ytx]

1) Remove the x's (I have to put them there so that you can see the string, otherwise the forum thinks I am trying to post a video)
2) abcdefg is the last series of figures following the = below as instead of abcdefg you would put in HecyxhXDepU&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HecyxhXDepU&

PS that looks like a cool video, off to watch!

Did the above link as you suggested. It's only appearing as a link, not embedded.

[ytx]DKEv8GZBDkI[/ytx]
Minus the Xs

Peggy, I use Vimeo. It's free (or you can pay for the fancier version) and you can have a lot of control over who sees your video. Some of my videos there are private that only family can see, like the video I made of scattering my father's ashes over our farm. You can make a video password protected there if you want and you can also make it so that people can't make comments if that's what you want. Here is a link to one of my videos so you can have a link to the Vimeo site:

http://vimeo.com/6294858

Peggy, I agree 100% l Diana.

Did the above link as you suggested. It's only appearing as a link, not embedded.

[ytx]DKEv8GZBDkI[/ytx]
Minus the Xs

If you are reading posts using an iPad, then the Youtube "yt" tags always get rendered as a link, not with a preview image. Try using "ytold" tags instead and see if that doesn't work better. Below is the same video using the ytold tags.

By the way, the following contains a list of all the formatting tags and example usages you can use on PoA:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Last edited:
Back