How to pay tie down fee?

fredplusplus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fan Zhang
Hi all,

I just got my PPL and now I'm thinking to fly to an airport that I've been before for a 100 dollar hamburger.

But I have only done touch and go in there before, never got a chance to fully stop and tie down. I saw on the airport information website they charge $5 for tie down, but how should I pay and whom do I pay to? I'm trying to fly to KFHR...

And in general, where should I look to find out these kind of information?

Thanks guys

That's for overnight. If you are just walking into town for a few hours, parking is free.

If overnight, there is a pay station near the exit.

Depending on airport. In KLDJ, there will be a golf cart chasing your plane the moment your wheels touch the ground.

Just for a point of reference:

We flew to KPSM last night. Landed around 1800, parked right in front of the FBO. We walked in, gave the lady my drivers license. She recorded some information, handed it back , and she asked me which of the 4 crappy cars we wanted (her words, not mine). We took the RAV 4. She handed me the keys, I signed a book, and we walked out. Simple as that.

We went and had dinner at the Red Hook brewery. We got back, I gave the keys back, paid the $44 to have the fuel topped off @ $6.00 a gallon, and away we went.

That what the first time I had done that, and I asked the guy trying to sell a share in his plane if we could go grab dinner somewhere, so I could see what that aspect was all about. I loved the experience. The people were friendly and it could not have been more covenant.

As a side note, that airport's runway is 11,321 feet long, and 150 feet wide. I felts like could have driven home on it.

Buy fuel. Our over night fee ,and the only fee we have, is less than a gallon of gas ($5)- waived with purchase of fuel. It is surprising how much the implementation of the fee triggered fuel purchases. We very seldom collect the fee.

As you are new, develop a habit of talking to the folks on the line and behind the desk...ask them "the rules". When I frame the question like that, I get the skinny. sometimes, I even get the insider version of how to avoid fees...

Like others have stated, I doubt there is a "parking fee" for landing and getting a meal or the like. All that said, a $5.00 tie down fee is very reasonable and I would venture to guess, waivable via fuel purchase.

Oh! Fred. Congratulations on getting your ticket. Fly often and stretch yourself comfort zone a bit...all safely and well thought out of course...it will make you a better pilot!

Yeah, there are two basic ways a tiedown/parking fee might be implemented.

1. Tiedown fees from the airport will be paid in the terminal building or equivalent. Every one of these I've seen has been so reasonable as to make me wonder why they bother. For instance, KFCH has a $3 fee for overnight.

2. Tiedown fees from an FBO will be paid at the FBO.

Usually, these are overnight-only fees (especially if from the airport), but not necessarily.

Not every airport has fees.

KGEU had little envelopes they stuck on the tie-down ropes with a rubber band. You took it home, stuffed your check in it and mailed it to them.

Every one of these I've seen has been so reasonable as to make me wonder why they bother. For instance, KFCH has a $3 fee for overnight.

Quote from my earlier post. "It is surprising how much the implementation of the fee triggered fuel purchases. We very seldom collect the fee."

Back