How to get Wings credits for seminars.

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I attend live seminars sponsored by the AOPA Foundation that should lead to Wings credits. Sometimes I do receive credit, but at least half the time I do not.

When I attend, I always drop a registration card with my email address into the box where everyone else does. That email address is my identifier for Wings. There is no other way to register, that I know of.

I can't find anything on the (very confusing) faasafety website for Wings to explain why I am not receiving credit.

Am I doing something wrong?

Below is an example of the kind of seminar that I am talking about.

======================================

Accident Case Study: Live"
Topic: Accident Case Study: Live seminar
On Monday, March 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM
525 33rd Avenue, S.W.

Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
Select Number:
NR0353972

Description:

To the average person, it might seem a bit morbid that pilots pay so much attention to aircraft accidents. After all, when was the last time you saw an article about an accident in a car magazine? But flying isn’t like driving, and accidents deserve attention: They let us learn from others’ mistakes, help us think critically about our skills, and provide a mental “nudge” if we find ourselves in similar situations.

With that in mind, the Air Safety Institute’s new seminar, Accident Case Study: Live, aims to put a new spin on safety-oriented accident analysis. Working with several compelling real-life cases, presenter and audience will play the role of accident investigator—starting at the crash scene and working backwards through physical evidence, eyewitness testimony, and other leads to figure out exactly what went wrong, and why.

To view further details and registration information for this seminar, click here.

The sponsor for this seminar is: AOPA Foundation

The FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) is committed to providing equal access to this meeting/event for all participants. If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability, please communicate your request as soon as possible with the person in the 'Contact Information' area of the meeting/event notice. Note that two weeks is usually required to arrange services.

The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:

Basic Knowledge 3 - 1 Credit

At most of our local in person seminars, the FAASTeam sponsor turns in a list to FAA. You have to sign that you were there.

There is never a sign up sheet at the events, unless it is hidden from my view. Just a cardboard box into which attendees drop a card.

The card that I am mentioning looks like it was provided by the AOPA. I receive a preprinted card in the post from the AOPA as an announcement of the event, and I often just bring that card with me and drop it into the box, which is what I see others do.

The speaker uses that box to draw names for door prizes, but I assumed it was also used to prove that I attended.

Last edited:
Yes, that postcard is your way of saying, "I came, I saw, I want credit." I've noticed it takes them awhile to validate the activity, about a month or so.

Yes, that postcard is your way of saying, "I came, I saw, I want credit." I've noticed it takes them awhile to validate the activity, about a month or so.

Depends on how they do it. The CFI here who did a bunch of the work for some co-sponsored ones from a flight school and the KAPA tower chief took about 48 hours, tops. He said it "wasn't fun" when I asked how he did them so quickly.

If your email address is readable there should be no problem. The system seems to be easier to use.

If you are filling out the card with your correct FAASTeam email address, but not receiving credit, then whoever is running the seminar isn't doing their job -- talk to them, because there is no other way to get the credit.

then whoever is running the seminar isn't doing their job -- talk to them, because there is no other way to get the credit.

Not sure whom that would be.

The only name I can find on the announcements on the FAA Wings site for these local events is not a local person. She has a Maryland phone number, and googling her name suggests that she is an AOPA employee whose title is "Manager of Safety Programs and Services". So is she the one who isn't doing her job?

Not sure whom that would be.

The only name I can find on the announcements on the FAA Wings site for these local events is not a local person. She has a Maryland phone number, and googling her name suggests that she is an AOPA employee whose title is "Manager of Safety Programs and Services". So is she the one who isn't doing her job?

It's the person presenting at the seminar you attend. Talk to them and find out what they are doing with the cards.

If more than 2-3 months go by then email asf@aopa.org with a request for WINGS credit using the email address registered with faasafety. Specify the date and name of the seminar so that they can find your record. It should be handled within a few days.

The old Wings system wasn't broken and required very little work on the part of the government.

I guess that's why it had to be scrapped in favor of an expensive and less useful system.

It's the person presenting at the seminar you attend. Talk to them and find out what they are doing with the cards.

That won't work, unfortunately, because the AOPA/ASF announcements don't specify the speaker's name or contact info. The speaker probably said his name quickly at the beginning of the talk, but I can't remember that.

If more than 2-3 months go by then email asf@aopa.org with a request for WINGS credit using the email address registered with faasafety. Specify the date and name of the seminar so that they can find your record. It should be handled within a few days.

That's a helpful suggestion. It works around all the problems with there being no contact info specified in the announcements. Thank you.

That's a helpful suggestion. It works around all the problems with there being no contact info specified in the announcements. Thank you.

It's going to end up on that same person's desk you could've already called or emailed by now. LOL

I attend live seminars sponsored by the AOPA Foundation that should lead to Wings credits. Sometimes I do receive credit, but at least half the time I do not.

When I attend, I always drop a registration card with my email address into the box where everyone else does. That email address is my identifier for Wings. There is no other way to register, that I know of.

I can't find anything on the (very confusing) faasafety website for Wings to explain why I am not receiving credit.

Am I doing something wrong?

Below is an example of the kind of seminar that I am talking about.

======================================

Accident Case Study: Live"
Topic: Accident Case Study: Live seminar
On Monday, March 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM
525 33rd Avenue, S.W.

Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
Select Number:
NR0353972

Description:

To the average person, it might seem a bit morbid that pilots pay so much attention to aircraft accidents. After all, when was the last time you saw an article about an accident in a car magazine? But flying isn’t like driving, and accidents deserve attention: They let us learn from others’ mistakes, help us think critically about our skills, and provide a mental “nudge” if we find ourselves in similar situations.

With that in mind, the Air Safety Institute’s new seminar, Accident Case Study: Live, aims to put a new spin on safety-oriented accident analysis. Working with several compelling real-life cases, presenter and audience will play the role of accident investigator—starting at the crash scene and working backwards through physical evidence, eyewitness testimony, and other leads to figure out exactly what went wrong, and why.

To view further details and registration information for this seminar, click here.

The sponsor for this seminar is: AOPA Foundation

The FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) is committed to providing equal access to this meeting/event for all participants. If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability, please communicate your request as soon as possible with the person in the 'Contact Information' area of the meeting/event notice. Note that two weeks is usually required to arrange services.

The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:

Basic Knowledge 3 - 1 Credit

http://www.faasafety.gov/OnlineHelp/faq.aspx#validations

Back