How to get turbine time????

GregP

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GregP
First off I am sure someone has already asked this question somewhere in here I just wasnt able to find it. I am now working my way to building time in a ME plane so I can work my way to catching local charter pilot gigs which there are always plenty of in my area. but more important I want to get some turbo prop time and make my way to one day flying king air's and hopefully then into regionals. but when looking it seems everyone is wanting 150-250 turbo-prop time. so, whats the best way to ease into this? is it simply gaining trust by getting a hundred hours in a piston twin, or is there something I am over looking?

is it simply gaining trust by getting a hundred hours in a piston twin

You've pretty much answered your own question. Unless you want to spend a whole bunch of money (like >$1k/hour) you're best bet is to get on with a company that will allow you to upgrade into one of their turbines.

If you're planning on going to the regionals anyway, there's no real need to target turbine time. Get to 1500 hours as quickly as possible - usually instructing is the fastest way there.

Go to work for a part 135 operator,should be able to get turbo time,after working with them .

If you're planning on going to the regionals anyway, there's no real need to target turbine time. Get to 1500 hours as quickly as possible - usually instructing is the fastest way there.
Yep. All you need is 25 multi. Could be in a Seminole or a King Air. It really doesn't matter. I got a hired with 15 multi at a regional. Get your 1500 and move on. But to answer your question, just network. Talk to everyone at the airport, shake everyone's hand, be friendly, and you'll never who will take you up in their jet.

Last edited:
What the others said, if you have all the ATP hours and can fog a mirror the regionals will gladly welcome you, for what they pay they don't have much choice.

Per you turbine question, as we get into warmer months, if you have 1000tt you can probably get a job at a turbine drop zone, a busy drop zone will have that prop turning (and you logging) nearly 8hrs of turbine time a day.

Back