How to get to UGN

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
I have finally figured how to not roast in the summertime at the hands of C90.

To get to UGN and from the Southwest- file IFR, 11,000. Ask for FF and cancel (ask for FF) just after the hand off from Center to Approach, go to 11,500 and head directly for UGN, which puts me 500 above "cross KRENA at 11,000....".

The controller in this sector then sees a flivver headed for his precious Non Bravo turbojet airspace. The plan is to circle the class Bravo at 33 DME and descend north of the "western Tongue" of the Bravo.

He then offers me VFR in the bravo direct to UGN.
I reply, I do not wish to be squashed down to 3,000 below the bravo. It's hot, lumpy and uncomfortable down there.

"Cleared into the bravo, direct UGN, descend pilots discretion to 3,000....."

So you see, C90 really does consider all that to be THEIR turbojet airspace.....even though I'm gonna cross the gate fix 500 above THEIR airline fix.....

Had he not offered, I would have desecended in the 33 DME circle to UGN....and may have crossed KRENA at 10.5.

Sigh.

Wow, I question your judgement given that deviousness. You really should consult an AME.....

Here you go.....the IFR line ends at the change to VFR at 11.5.

The result- nearly direct, and most of it above 8K. :)

Attachments

• P8040004.JPG
    P8040004.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 52
Creative. How many different things have you attempted prior in order to finally figure out the tricks? Heh.

Back