How to get Doctors to play ball

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
OK, it has been 4 weeks since my Optho changed my meds, and for 4 weeks I've been calling the office, leaving messages as to what I need form the Doc (per Bruce), and been generally playing phone tag. I've asked them to have the Doc herself call, nada. I've offered to pay for her services, set up an appointment just to talk about what I need, etc. I even got so fustrated I called her home number yesterday and left a message, but of couse no answer.

Do I go camp out in their office until I get the things I need? Send a registered letter? Threaten to take my business elsewhere (like most Docs care)?

Going to an other Doc would not likely help, anyway, as without a history with my case, the new Doc would not likely write the flowery BS AMCD needs anway.

Now that I've bought an airplane, I'd sure like to be able to fly it before Christmas. How do I get my optho to get what I need?

Yours in Monday morning dejection,
Bill

Really sorry to hear this Bill. Don't know if I have a great solution. Sounds like you're calling and staying on top of things. Can you get a second opinion somewhere?

IMO, the medical system in it's current form is broke. Two articles in the NT Times addressed it yesterday. Got to find a good Doc you get along with somehow. It took me awhile. Some low wage person in a cubicle somewhere is approving what your doc gets paid to do. They have a contract with the Doc and it usually says the Doc can't accept money outside the PPO or whatever contract. If they do, they can have their contract terminated. They get paid to do procedures; not consultations and paperwork for the most part.

It really needs to change. Incentive system is wrong IMO. Some docs like Bruce do extra stuff anyway; many just herd lots of people through each day and don't do a lot of follow up, research or client pampering.

Best,

Dave

I take it you need the optho to write a nice letter stating the change in meds won't affect your flying ability - or that your condition hasn't changed?

I don't know the whole story but if she isn't cooperating, she's either swamped or getting ticked at all the phone calls. (or on vacation?)

Could you ask her if she could recommend a doctor who could assist you, since she is "obviously overworked" or something? not snarky, but a sincere appeal?

I wouldn't leave another call, I'd put it all in a letter, detailed and emotionless, and send it to her and see where that goes.

four weeks wow thats a long time. I always make every effort to return calls in 24 hours. Obviously thats not always possible though. Obviously Docs often get side tracked with emergencies etc. But four weeks IMHO is way too long.

I'd tell ya that my opinion is that calling the Doc at home is a bad idea unless you are a social friend in whcih case the delay makes no sense.

Here is how I would handle it:

1) Ask specifically to speak with the office manager not the nurse or Doc. Relay what has been going on calmly and clearly tell them you understand that delays and emergencies occur but 4 weeks is out of hand.

2) If that doesn't work then contact the referring doc who ever it is the AME or your family docand let them know the problem you have been experienceing. When I make a referral in the legal world and the client calls me back and tells me the person I referred them too is not communicating well, it makes me look bad so then I contact the person referred to. If it is a legit gripe and there is no improvement after I call then that person gets booted off my referral list. The same should happen in medicine.

Most states have patient abandonment laws, and rules about responding to patient requests. You might call your state Medical Board and see what they recommend. I think I'd just make an appointment, even if I had to "fudge" the reason why I'm making it. Then I'd make it perfectly clear that I feel like an abandoned patient and I'm on the verge of notifying my state medical regulatory board about it. No response in that length of time is abandonment in my book.

OK, it has been 4 weeks since my Optho changed my meds, and for 4 weeks I've been calling the office, leaving messages as to what I need form the Doc (per Bruce), and been generally playing phone tag. I've asked them to have the Doc herself call, nada. I've offered to pay for her services, set up an appointment just to talk about what I need, etc. I even got so fustrated I called her home number yesterday and left a message, but of couse no answer.

Do I go camp out in their office until I get the things I need? Send a registered letter? Threaten to take my business elsewhere (like most Docs care)?

Going to an other Doc would not likely help, anyway, as without a history with my case, the new Doc would not likely write the flowery BS AMCD needs anway.

Now that I've bought an airplane, I'd sure like to be able to fly it before Christmas. How do I get my optho to get what I need?

Yours in Monday morning dejection,
Bill

Doc finally called yesterday late afternoon, says she's dictated the letters, gotten the fields together, etc. She says her staff should be able to get the letter typed and the stuff out to me in a few days.

Cripes if I don't get a letter out in 48 hours I am getting lambasted by people (and I feel shamed too, even if the law allows 15 days).

Was on vacation for a week in Chicago a few weeks back, that, along with the normal trying to catch up after vacation was what she said. :dunno:

Poor Planning.
On vacation? Dr. can dictate by phone or email something. I've done a few, its no big deal.
The staff can type a letter. In fact they probably have little to do with one Dr missing.
Every hotel has a fax machine.

as they say;
"PPPPPP"

Poor Planning.
On vacation? Dr. can dictate by phone or email something. I've done a few, its no big deal.
The staff can type a letter. In fact they probably have little to do with one Dr missing.
Every hotel has a fax machine.

as they say;
"PPPPPP"

I again offered to pay for the time used in generating medical related data/documentation, but she again declined and said she was happy to do it for me.

Translation:

If you pay me for it, I have to do it in a timely fashion. If I do it for free, I can take my own good time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back