How should I approach a future airline career with mild asthma?

• Thread starter Cris The Future Pilot
  • Start date
C

Cris The Future Pilot

I am a sophomore in high school and my doctor says I am growing out of my mild asthma. My asthma is mainly affected by my allergy towards dogs and cats. I have never had a legitament attack, and have never been to the hospital. Apparently having asthma is a disqualifying aspect that airlines consider. When I take my FAA Medical Certificate test, what will they do? Should I lie about not having asthma? It is my dream to be an airline pilot. I don't care if I start out making squat - I have over 1200 hours on flight simulator and 87 hours in the air, I am dedicated.

I am a sophomore in high school and my doctor says I am growing out of my mild asthma. My asthma is mainly affected by my allergy towards dogs and cats. I have never had a legitament attack, and have never been to the hospital. Apparently having asthma is a disqualifying aspect that airlines consider. When I take my FAA Medical Certificate test, what will they do? Should I lie about not having asthma? It is my dream to be an airline pilot. I don't care if I start out making squat - I have over 1200 hours on flight simulator and 87 hours in the air, I am dedicated.

The very last thing you want to do is lie on your medical. :no:

I'm sure Dr. Bruce and others who know a lot more than I do will chime in here, but perhaps if you can show that it's controlled and exercise- or allergen-induced, you might have chance?

It is allergenic induced mainly. I am allergic to dogs and cats. The doctor says that my asthma is becoming less affected from it however. As for physical, my asthma is fine. I am getting offers to play at some collegiate division one school for soccer, clears to show that it does not affect me on the field. In terms of condition while flying? Well I climbed Mt. Rainier a while back an the "thin air" did not affect me at all.

Who told you that airlines disqualify based on asthma? I've never heard that
I have asthma and allergies and its pretty easy to get my medical. Shouldn't be an issue for you either as you have it completely under control.

Who told you that airlines disqualify based on asthma? I've never heard that
I have asthma and allergies and its pretty easy to get my medical. Shouldn't be an issue for you either as you have it completely under control.

This...has nothing to do with the airlines. As long as you can get a 1st class medical, then you should be good to go. For that, listen to Dr. Bruce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chris the future pilot said:
Should I lie about not having asthma?
Chris if you even think about lying, you have NO PLACE ON ANY FLIGHT DECK. The first time there is an investigation you'll lose your pilot certificates, too- the diagnsois codes are not protected and are accessible to the agency in about four minutes. Then they crosscheck with your medical application. Then you're done. Gone. Selling insurance will seem good to you.

I have a couple of young guys who are very concerned with "which version of the truth did I last tell?" It's disgusting.

The FAA definition of "mild" for asthma qualifies if you haven't had an episode in five years (that needed medical attention).

You also fail to qualify for "mild" if you are on a beta inhaler (proventil, etc). Disease modifying (not rescue) meds ARE okay (nonadsorbed inhaled steroids, for example).

Anything else needs a special issuance, which can be gotten if your FEV1 is more than 70% of of your FVC on pulmonary function (annual) testing), and you'll annually need a doc's letter testifying to your lack of day to day limitations. Insufficient letter? it's stress treadmill for you (with an oximeter)!

So it CAN be done. It's just much easier if you are in the "mild" category.

Lastly, Airlines DO discriminate. They are allowed the exception to the ADA as health relates to necessary qualification for the job. That's why on many company applications, "do you possess an FAA waiver?" exists. Whereas they "intend" that to mean color vision or the like, if you have two equally qualified applicants, and one has a medical condition (=future medical costs), "who're you gonna call"?

Last edited:
It is allergenic induced mainly. I am allergic to dogs and cats. The doctor says that my asthma is becoming less affected from it however. As for physical, my asthma is fine. I am getting offers to play at some collegiate division one school for soccer, clears to show that it does not affect me on the field. In terms of condition while flying? Well I climbed Mt. Rainier a while back an the "thin air" did not affect me at all.
If you are the original poster, which I can't tell, you need to see an allergist.

FAA doesn't care that you can play soccer. They don't want you tightening up when you are a 121 flight deck.

This is chest thumping and saying, "I'm healthy". Gets you noplace. You always have the opportunity to show it with a letter from a qualified physician and a set of pulmonary functions. Does that mean you actually have to go see a pulmonologist? What do you think?
chris the future pilot said:
Should I lie about not having asthma?
I am still having trouble with this. I think you may indeed have no place on a part 121 flight deck.

I bail many pilots out of inadvertent omissions (didn't report sleep apnea three medicals ago, didn't report an episode of afib that didn't recurr, didn't report polycystic kidney disease. etc etc, but I don't think I could work your case, if you omitted. Seriously. I'm not sure I would want you the airspace with me. Don't lie, please.

Now go forth and try to remember which version of the truth you last told. sigh....before you end up like this Indiana AutoDealer....one "not quite truth" after another.... http://www.aopa.org/asf/acs/acs_intoodeep/

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back