How safe/unsafe is glider flying?

No engine overhauls to worry about.:)

Yes, but a reassembly or repair/update work need to be checked carefully before the next flight:
Details released on Ephrata glider accident

It appears the accident involving Mercer Island pilot Nelson Funston happened after a control tube was accidentally left unattached during the Nimbus 4 glider's reassembly, according to an accident summary from the NTSB. The glider was placed in storage before its first flight at the Ephrata Airport.

"The pilot stated that during assembly of the glider prior to the flight, the left aileron control tube was inadvertently not attached and that he did not verify that all flight controls moved free and correct prior to takeoff," according to the NTSB.

Since I am a 110% newbie... Is there a monitor/indicator in the control system of a glider that tells you about the changing atmosphere (air current, thermal, etc.) surrounding the glider? Could there be a sudden change of the atmosphere that causes the glider to fall unexpectedly? (am thinking about the mystery about some accidents by highly experienced pilots in good weather condition)
Yes! Go to YouTube and you can see them in action (some have a wailing sound when "lift" is found so you don't have to watch any instrument.)

Since I am a 110% newbie... Is there a monitor/indicator in the control system of a glider that tells you about the changing atmosphere (air current, thermal, etc.) surrounding the glider? Could there be a sudden change of the atmosphere that causes the glider to fall unexpectedly? (am thinking about the mystery about some accidents by highly experienced pilots in good weather condition)
Yes to the first part of your question. The main glider specific instrument is a Variometer. It tells you if you are in lift and how much. The rest of the instruments are pretty similar to GA planes, just fewer of them. On the second part about gliders falling from the sky, not at all. There are situations that can be dangerous (lee-side rotor jumps to mind) but there's not an "air pocket" that will cause you to fall out of the sky.

Thanks, both. Indeed, I was wondering about those weird sounds in the videos. (Thanks for the reassurance of no "air pocket".)

No go around, no throttle, and only mother nature for lift... your hobby is what I would consider an emergency... so how safe is it really? How often can you not make it to the runway, and of those times how often does the plane end up damaged or the pilot end up hurt/dead?

I think that, depending on terrain, land-out is not all that hazardous: your stall speed is fairly low. Of course, Glider Bob died by crashing a Stemme into Colorado woods in a thunderstorm, so it's possible to get seriously injured in a glider. But as long as you aren't pushing it that hard, you'll be fine.

However, there are some things you must be vigilant about. The tow preparation must never be lax: check your ropes, make up the full plan, including the direction of turn above X (usually 300') and the point at which you decide on attempting the downwind. If the rope breaks, you'll have to maneuver instantly and you won't have the time for confused, indecisive action.

If you run off a winch, you have to familiarize yourself with a set of specific hazards, and internalize the canned reactions to them. Again, there won't be a time to refer to a checklist. It's the price for the nearest thrill to a cat shot that a civilian can experience.

Overall though, I'm quite amazed at the stunts people do in gliders and then walk away, simply because the energy at the impact is lower. I saw videos of people lawn-darting it in and walking away. In a Cessna that you kill them almost certainly.

I think flying a glider to flying an engine plane is like riding a bicycle to driving a car.

You can have your cake, and eat it, too, with a Stemme S12 motor glider.

Motor glider can cause fire, though. I just read about a fatal accident of a motor glider that caused wild fire.

I fly 'em and they are as safe as the pilot wants them to be...just like flying a powered plane in that respect. They are much safer than flying a powered airplane and make the pilot a better pilot. The feeling "I only have one shot at this landing" goes away after awhile. A 2-33 or a 1-26 and be put down safely in a pretty small field. Now the glass ships need a bit more room.

Thanks, both. Indeed, I was wondering about those weird sounds in the videos. (Thanks for the reassurance of no "air pocket".)

You probably don’t have MSFX, but the developers included gliders you can fly with the variometer noises included! They have a XC mission also that I could never complete.

Anyways, I would love to try sailplanes (for real) some day.

The best monitor is your knowledge of the weather, review of atmosphere soundings etc. In flight, you have a flight-computer or electronic variometer that indicates whether you are climbing or sinking. It does so on its little monitor and via an audio cue played back in the cockpit. If you watch youtube videos of glider flying (about as interesting as watching someone else play 'minecraft'), you can often hear it in the background. It's either a continuous or intermittent wail with the frequency indicating the rate of sink and the interrupted beep indicating that the aircraft is gaining altitude (or whichever way you programmed it).

Outside of flying into a thunderstorm, its not 'the atmosphere' that kills glider pilots. To fly gliders beyond what you could get out of a tow, you exploit a couple of meteorological conditions. The same energy that allows you to fly without a motor (e.g. thermals, orographic lift and standing wave conditions) also has the potential of creating severe turbulence and at times moves into convective/thunderstorm activity with little warning. One of the reasons there seems to be more of risk to experienced pilots is that those are the ones going out to fly beyond gliding range of an airport. A lot of glider flying is 'mountain flying' which comes with its own challenges whether you have a motor up front or not.

Last edited:
Regarding accidents: the glider is so dependent on the tow plane that it seems to me some of the worst or most likely accidents would probably be involved with the tow plane. For example:
a. Rope breaking or accidentally detaches before a safe height is reached. (What could you do then?)
b. Rope can't be released, so the glider stays connected to the tow plane. (How would that end?)
c. Cockpit glass broken while in high altitude (What consequence would result from it?)

Parachute would be useless if you have never been trained to use it.
A. All I need is 200 ft AGL to turn around and land. If the rope breaks you failed to inspect before use and monitor throughout the day.
B. Intentionally break the rope at the weak link, or land on tow. No issues.
C. That could happen to any airplane. Only way to break is to get a bird strike. Consequences would be about the same., but the glider is going much slower.

Is it possible for the friction between the glider and the ground during landing to cause fire?

Is it possible for the friction between the glider and the ground during landing to cause fire?

Sure. Any metal against metal may spark and may cause a fire. But it wouldn’t erupt in a fireball. The pilot would have time to go get some marshmallows and chocolate and make s’mores.

I’m glider rated (but haven’t flown gliders in years) and just purchased a more significant life insurance policy. The underwriters wanted to know when I last flew gliders, if I planned on flying gliders in the future and, if I remember correctly, specifically carved out glider flying as a covered risk.

I don’t know if these people are just anecdotally afraid of the idea of flying without an engine or have legitimate statistics / math to support their concerns. Whatever the case was, they did NOT like glider flying.

I’m glider rated (but haven’t flown gliders in years) and just purchased a more significant life insurance policy. The underwriters wanted to know when I last flew gliders, if I planned on flying gliders in the future and, if I remember correctly, specifically carved out glider flying as a covered risk.

I don’t know if these people are just anecdotally afraid of the idea of flying without an engine or have legitimate statistics / math to support their concerns. Whatever the case was, they did NOT like glider flying.

I haven’t anyone trying to sell me life insurance for a while. My life insurance through my work has no issue with it. The AD&D policy on the other hand doesn’t like it. My 1st question when some one tries to sell my life insurance. Do you cover Pilots? Many will say as long as you are not flying experimental aircraft. My response is my glider (airplane) is experimental and a Race it. Never got anyone to go past that one.

You can have your cake, and eat it, too, with a Stemme S12 motor glider. You can fly it cross-country, you can stow the propeller and soar (53:1!!!!), and it's a tail-dragger retractable that requires no medical! (Bring $350K or so, however.)

I always like the insurance form questions that ask about retract and tailwheel time. While I have a number of hours in retract and tailwheel airplanes, I have over 1000 hours in retract tailwheel gliders.

What will happen if there are no thermals or you don't find them after you have taken off? Say you go fly the glider at midnight... :rolleyes:

Say you go fly the glider at midnight... :rolleyes:

That isn't possible.

Your towpilot and ground crew will say, "You want to fly when? That's stupid, I'm going back to bed."

This is how gliders are prevented from becoming smoking holes in the ground.

Last edited:
I always like the insurance form questions that ask about retract and tailwheel time. While I have a number of hours in retract and tailwheel airplanes, I have over 1000 hours in retract tailwheel gliders.

Same here and it doesn’t count... but of course it shouldn’t.

Tailwheel-wise, the typical glider setup is much more stable on the roll than any plane’s. Not sure if it’s the proximity of the CG to the main wheel or the long moment on the fixed tail wheel but it’s hard to get a good ground loop started unless you drop a tip. My old Maule taught me that tailwheel in an airplane is a distinct skill.

And gear wise, the fact is you can do a gear-up landing in the privacy of a remote strip and repair it in time for the next day’s flying. Of course you can be a former world champion racer and do a gear up in front of your buddies who are lined up along the runway in lawn chairs sipping brews. We’re all human.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks to the posters who answered my questions. I wasn't trying to fear monger. As I said I am a complete newbie; I asked some of these questions (fire and no thermal) out of genuine curiosity, theoretical mainly. Of course I would not go glider flying at midnight. But, can one fly glider in, say, Antarctica?

Hopefully one year from now I will ask more smart questions. :p As of now, all I have done is taking a 15 min ride flied by someone else less than a week ago. Thank you all. This seems to be the sole thread about glider flying; I wish there was a forum dedicated to it.

Probably no thermals in Antarctica. You could fly using orographic lift, that is when the wind has to raise over a ridge or mountain range. It would probably require some purpose built hardware like a Stemme S10 with extra fuel tanks so you can get from McMurdo to the closest mountain range and back. Now that's a place where landing out is dangerous.

Glider flying works well in:
- tall mountains for wave action
- mid-range mountains for thermal and ridge lift
- deserts for thermal activity

It doesn't work well over large uniform geography like tundra or lakes.

Oh, it also works great over nuclear power plants and steel Mills :)

Hopefully one year from now I will ask more smart questions. :p As of now, all I have done is taking a 15 min ride flied by someone else less than a week ago. Thank you all. This seems to be the sole thread about glider flying; I wish there was a forum dedicated to it.

not specifically a forum, but check out

rec.aviation.soaring

Brian

Is this the same or a different one?

https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/new...re-while-landing-at-parham-airfield-1-8639749

http://sustainableskies.org/two-battery-fires-self-launching-sailplanes/

"According to a report investigators, published last week, the fire was caused by a Front Electrical Sustainer (FES) lithium polymer battery - used to sustain propulsion while in the sky."

That's a motor glider?

Actually I have heard that Sebastian Kawa (gazillion time World Champion) is trying to organize a soaring expedition to Antarctica.

Actually I have heard that Sebastian Kawa (gazillion time World Champion) is trying to organize a soaring expedition to Antarctica.

I figured someone would do this just for the challenge of it.

There would be massive logistical problems not to mention dealing with the harsh environment. But it could be pretty awesome. Similarly I've always wondered about the soaring potential in Alaska, presumably some routes could be worked out that would allow for incredible distance and in the summer you could have a LOT of daylight to work on things like world distance records...

fixed that for you..:)
Convection does not work without gravity. As usual on POA you did not fix it but you did mis-inform the readership such as it may be.

Another stupid question: Can an airplane pilot's logbook be used for glider flying?

Back