How often do you update your handheld GPS?

How often do you update the database in your handheld GPS

• Every 28 days like clockwork!

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • At least quarterly

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • At least semi-annually

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • At least annually

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Whenever I remember every few years

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Never.

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
Our club just upgraded our yoke mounted Garming 195 to a Garmin 296c, and I must say I love the new GPS. The screen has a better resolution and is much easier to read (imo) and was well worth the money that we spent upgrading units.

The database in our old 195 is probably at least 2 years old (or older). When the club purchased the new unit I proposed that we update at least annually, and the other members agreed. I wonder, how often others updated their VFR hand held/yoke mounted GPS units.

I answered this poll as When ever I remember because it was the next best choice other than annually. I actual update it when ever I have good reason to such as taking a trip to unfamiliar territory. This may be more or less often that annually.

Jeannie

After paying for the subscriptions to two panel mount GPS units, I don't see the point in updating the handheld very often. Probably about once annually, before a long trip/unfamiliar area.

Since I navigate with one eye on the GPS and the other eye on a current chart, what's the point?

Point for me is name changes in navaids and airports. Hard to navigate to FMN (Farmington) VOR since it has changed to RKS (Rattlesnake).

I use as nav supplement for IFR, so usually update before a long trip.

Eric

wsuffa said:
After paying for the subscriptions to two panel mount GPS units, I don't see the point in updating the handheld very often. Probably about once annually, before a long trip/unfamiliar area.

Ditto

If you have a Garmin unit, you can choose from a variety of upgrade options. A one-time update (available via a download) is only $35 for most models of handhelds. Similar prices/options obtain for other units (e.g., Lowrance).

I've used the download service several times for my Garmin GPSMAP295, which I use primarily when flying the Extra cross-country, especially while flying through more than one section of a sectional or across multiple sectionals. (Ever try to unfold a chart in an Extra?--it's like flying an unknown sequence.)

And the best acessory I've found for my Garmin (aside from the RAM mount) is the Garmin AC Adapter/PC Cable USA (also available from many online retailers) which allows you to connect many Garmin units to AC power and the serial port on a PC simultaneously, making updates to system and database software, uploading and downloading flight plans, simulator sessions, etc. much more practical.

Having reasonably current databases, even in a handheld, also helps with such tasks as retrieving communications frequecies, especially if you need to divert from Plan A.

wsuffa said:

Same here.

My Garmin 96C is one part of my safety net in case of a total electrical failure. I update the Aviation databases fairly regularly. Usually every 28days, but if I know I won't be flying for a bit I'll skip an update. The obstacle databases come out every 56 days. So I pickup them at the same time as the aviation database if it's out of date. I'd like to get on the maintenance cycles at some point.

Hourly.
At least that is how often Anywhere Map now puts out their TFR updates. It wasn't necessary to have a paid up subscription last I checked either.

I keep my 296c updated regularly when I'm flying. I didn't buy the annual subscription, don't think I will. I just updated the obstacle database. Doesn't seem terribly expensive and it is nice having current info at my fingertips. Seems like comm frequencies are changing frequently nowdays.

I wouldn't worry about flying with one a little out of date though. At the very least, it is a finger on a chart.

got my last update for my old Garmin GPS90 last year and it's now been deprecated. Seems the database is now too large for this old dog...but I just can't see putting it to bed - it still works just fine.

I have a Lowrance Airmap 100. The updates are $75 a pop so I only update every 6 months. I think it's a rip off that the newer Airmap updates are only $35. I guess it's Lowrances way of getting me to update my GPS.

I can say that I was thankful weekend before last that I had an updated database. BTR had a ceiling of 1800', LFT ceiling at 2000' and LCH ceiling at 2300' with visibility of 3 miles. My route from BTR - LCH had two towers that stood 1800'. Yes, the old pucker factor kicked in pretty good! All went well but I sure want to finish my IFR training, and SOON!

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as Bill. Er, uh same plane as Bill--naw, that don't work. I have a certified GPS I feed as well as a 296 as back up. ;)

Best,

Dave

Back