How much renter's insurance should I get?

iRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Hi gang,

I am going to finish (I hope) my cfi initial at an FBO using a 1973 Arrow II. As I belong to a club, I am covered by their insurance, so I have no idea how much is enough to get. I doubt I will be flying their plane solo. Thanks again.

However much you need to get to provide the protection you feel is necessary largely based on what your assets are.

I personally try to carry a rather large amount of liability and enough hull to cover the airplane since I'm rarely named.

Usually you want as a minimum enough to cover the deductible on the aircraft.

I carry max liability and 50k hull. I was looking at renting a Cirrus. That's why I have the hull coverage I have. It also to the total value of most of the planes I currently rent. The issue of renting a retract is forgetting to put the gear down. How much that would cost to fix would be the mount I'd carry. If the insurance company was going to go after you for anything, it would be a gear up.

Last edited:
Usually you want as a minimum enough to cover the deductible on the aircraft.

Actually, you want to insure for the hull not the deductible. Can you say subrogation?

Hi gang,

I am going to finish (I hope) my cfi initial at an FBO using a 1973 Arrow II. As I belong to a club, I am covered by their insurance, so I have no idea how much is enough to get. I doubt I will be flying their plane solo. Thanks again.

If you are insured under a club policy, how do you know you need additional insurance? I would find out exactly what club policy covers you for and the policy limits first.

That might mean reading the policy yourself and/or speaking to the issuing agent.

Last edited:
Even if your risk on the hull loss is covered by a club policy or a general waiver of subrogation on all approved pilots (some FBOs have this), I would get the basic policy just as a prepaid legal plan to have your own representation in case things go wrong.

You mentioned that you are doing this for the CFI initial. Two thoughts:
- you will be PIC for the checkride unless you can arrange otherwise with the examiner. FAA dude won't be able to accept PIC responsibility and few DPEs approved to do CFI initials will accept this either.
- are you considering to get 'CFI insurance' (non-owned and professional liability for 'negligent instruction') once you start teaching ? If yes, get your non-owned for the rental arrow from the same company that writes CFI coverage so you can get your premium credited.

I carry enough hull coverage to cover the schools deductible ($5k). As for liability, I carry 250k.

Back