How many dual X-Countries until "Proficient"

Well between flying turbines at job 1 and my current students at job 2, I have more students then I know what to do with, so my problem is not of retention but of lack of my availability.

Needless to say I'm far for collecting cans or cleaning dirty computers for 30 bucks, so I cant complain.

I did not target nor direct any response to you. I am referring to a certain type of cfi not all cfi's; as I clearly stated that I had a few very good ones. I also clearly illustrated the dangers when CFI"s go off the reservation so to speak. So what is your problem?

But you apparently put yourself into the target cross hairs here. So why do you think I am specifically targeting you and your particular type of instruction? Are you one of those jerk off CFI's i hate?

BTW air taxi driver, your ideas about me are as misconstrued as your ideas about being a CFI. I own the company....ha,ha,ha.... I will compare life skills and talents with the likes of you any day of the week. YOU WORK IN AVIATION. Shesh! ( l o s e r ). Don't even go there. I play in aviation I don't have to work in it, thank god. All that thin air up there seems to permanently damaged your perception or something.

Last edited:
I am not saying it is not serious business. I want the most professional CFI I can find. But also I want a mature CFI to teach me things. But there is a big difference in being professional and teaching what you need to know to be a good pilot and the hazing that sometimes goes on.

Generally I ask for more than minimums for myself but I am specifically talking about some young guys who are only doing this to get the hours required to get hired by a cargo freight company to get more hours so they one day can make a living flying. Sometimes their professionalism is less than what it should be.

Go get your CFI, take on the responsibility/liability involved in the trade, then get back to us. We do this kind of stuff to create safe pilots, not because we have ego problems. IMO, the instructors who teach nothing more than the test are the jerks. Aviation is serious business that can get you killed and sometimes some tough lessons are needed.

If all the interior lights unexpectedly "fail" during a night X/C, what does the student quickly learn about cockpit organization, flashlights, priorities and procedures? What does the CFI learn about the student's current abilities to handle such a situation? Is it in the book to simulate such a situation? Will I ever stop doing it? Has it happened to me? What happens when the big pot behind the little knob stops working? Is it an emergency? If so, what level of urgency? Land now? Land later? Where?

That's when I turn and look you full in the face with with headlamp on white mode. And you wince and tell me to look forward again. ;) ;) ;)

That's when I turn and look you full in the face with with headlamp on white mode. And you wince and tell me to look forward again. ;) ;) ;)
. . . while reaching surrepticiously for the fuel selector handle.

. . . while reaching surrepticiously for the fuel selector handle.

I *will* smack you. Ha. I was taught by similarly sneaky people. Ha. (And actually I appreciate it. And yeah, just make me put the hood on and you wouldn't even have to be that sneaky about it.)

I came within about an inch of smacking another pilot's hand as he reached for "my" radios one day until I remembered we had briefed that he'd handle radio calls to stave off boredom. :)

The plane has a GPS but I was instructed not to use it unless I got lost.

One thing worth mentioning is that the DPE can test you on any equipment installed in the plane, including the GPS. There's nothing wrong with saying this XC will be with VORs only, or pilotage and dead reckoning only, but make sure you do some work with the GPS too. That way you don't fail when the DPE says "Use the GPS to take us direct to KXYZ."

The plane I train in has a 430W. I've yet to do real XCs (still working on landings... still...) but we've taken 2 trips to other airports just to break the monotony (and do tower work), both about 25NM, and we've used the GPS to get there, and VORs or pilotage to get back. I still need to play with the Garmin simulator some, in order to get really familiar with it.

I like night training because the environment enhances the training experience. Pilots must work harder and organize better than during daylight but it's because of the environment in which they choose to fly rather than C-S tricks by the instructor.

I *will* smack you. Ha. I was taught by similarly sneaky people. Ha. (And actually I appreciate it. And yeah, just make me put the hood on and you wouldn't even have to be that sneaky about it.)

I came within about an inch of smacking another pilot's hand as he reached for "my" radios one day until I remembered we had briefed that he'd handle radio calls to stave off boredom. :)

I did not target nor direct any response to you. I am referring to a certain type of cfi not all cfi's; as I clearly stated that I had a few very good ones. I also clearly illustrated the dangers when CFI"s go off the reservation so to speak. So what is your problem?

But you apparently put yourself into the target cross hairs here. So why do you think I am specifically targeting you and your particular type of instruction? Are you one of those jerk off CFI's i hate?

BTW air taxi driver, your ideas about me are as misconstrued as your ideas about being a CFI. I own the company....ha,ha,ha.... I will compare life skills and talents with the likes of you any day of the week. YOU WORK IN AVIATION. Shesh! ( l o s e r ). Don't even go there. I play in aviation I don't have to work in it, thank god. All that thin air up there seems to permanently damaged your perception or something.

I never thought I was in your "cross hairs", the reason you got the response you got out of me was due to you being dead set that you were right, when you were very wrong regarding what a CFI should do.

What topped it off, after a quick search it shows you're only a VFR PPL, you're not really qualified to make the definitive statements you were making.

You telling CFIs how to do ther job would be like you telling an instrument rated pilot how to shoot a ILS, you're simply not qualified to make those statements.

I never thought I was in your "cross hairs", the reason you got the response you got out of me was due to you being dead set that you were right, when you were very wrong regarding what a CFI should do.

What topped it off, after a quick search it shows you're only a VFR PPL, you're not really qualified to make the definitive statements you were making.

You telling CFIs how to do ther job would be like you telling an instrument rated pilot how to shoot a ILS, you're simply not qualified to make those statements.

Not being qualified to make statements doesn't seem to prevent you from being wrong or making statements you know nothing about.

As Mr Miagi said in Karate Kid "the Certificate does not replace the brain."

I would trust most 1200 hr VFR only pilots with as much real xcountry time as I have over 98% of the time builder CFII's that we are talking about, probably you included.

And to correct you again, I am not telling CFI's how to do their job. I am telling some CFII's how not to do their job. But details do not seem to matter to you as you are a Turbine pilot, huh? Stop breathing the fumes.

Last edited:
Back