How long does local anesthesia (dental work)ground me?

U

Unregistered

Looks like I'm going to have several dental procedures done over time. I was wondering how long I need to self ground after receiving these local anesthetics? I would look it up myself, but I do not know which drugs are typically used.

Unrelated to aviation, is it typical for these anesthetics to "migrate" and induce some numbness in the hands and feet? Is that something to mention.

I was in the dentists chair at 8:30am for a filling, with a local anesthetic and did my CFI check ride later in the day, after flying an hour to get a retract plane, then flying an hour plus to the check ride, then dropping the plane off, flying back home, and then flying to another 3 plus hours r/t to drop a guy off in Cleveland and coming home. The only issue I had was that I was tired. Then again, I left Cleveland at 1230 am.

I'd think 8-12 hours would be a good guide after you've had an anaesthetic injected into your body, but Bruce will no doubt have a more informed opinion.

Us USAF types generally get 12hrs no flying after a local anesthesia for dental stuff.

I'll continue to check back for Dr Bruce, but thanks guys. Somehow I was envisioning days since the recovery from the procedures themselves will make me not want to go up for a day in the first place.

I guess that puts me at ease. I was worried that the lower O2 even at 8K would trigger effects. It's one thing to question the realness of reality in the dentist office (internally), but it's the last thing I'd want to happen while I'm up. Get older (30-something) is really weird thing.

It depends on what the anesthetic is for. If it's for a root canal, you want to wait a couple of days (infection, gas pockets, yeowie...). If it's for a crown or some such, the numbness will be gone in 12-18 at the most. It they give you "ANYTHING" IV, all bets are off and 24 hours is the shortest I'd go.

I had stitches put in my leg and flew an hour or two later once -- after telling the Doc to only do a local right at the wound and that I wouldn't be taking anything for it until later that night a couple of States away.

Wonder if that wasn't too smart. Didn't seem to be a problem that day.

Split my leg open on the shin at the hangar on a radio mounting bracket in the old Jeep. I was just going to clean it up and throw a "mechanic's dressing" on it. Clean cloth and duct tape. Maybe a butterfly from the First Aid kit. ;)

Wife (the nurse) took a look at it and said "oh no you're not", and shuffled me off to an Urgent Care a couple miles from the airport. Three internal and seven or eight external stitches later and we were on our way. Was deeper than I thought.

Saved me another scar, I guess. Probably kept it from ending up infected too. Maybe even saved the airplane carpet from getting bled on if it'd decided to get with it later, and a landing somewhere to put pressure on it for a while. Haha.

Annoying part was I did it after the airplane was already pulled out of the hangar, fully loaded for a multi-day trip, and the power tug was busted. Didn't even hurt really while I was cussing myself and shoving the near gross-weight 2900 lb. Cessna back into the hangar with the tow-bar.

I've had root canals, extractions, and teeth pulled. Lots of dental work. Sure, novacaine makes your tongue and lips feel funny but feet and hands? I don't think so. I was awake (no IV) the whole time.

If you are worried you can plan your flight lessons / flying around your dentist or vice versa.

It depends if I have to talk to ATC or not. If I do, I wait till I can talk properly again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back