how long does it take to do a 100hr inspection and annual inspection

scarybus320

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
scarybus320
how long does it take to do a 100hr inspection and annual inspection???
everytime i want to book the airplane i want for couple times a month, this FBO i am with now, when the inspection has to be done, they have to block the airplane off the schedule for a week, that really suck because when the weather is been good here lately.

A week seems a little steep. They probably block it off in case problems are found. Have you ever looked to see if it "re-appears" on the schedule three days into the week of blocked time?

Is the inspection done on the field or do they fly it away?

The inspection itself shouldn't have the plane down for more than a day or two (depending on what it is). If there is deferred maintenance that might take longer.

Annuals/100 hrs on Skyhawks that were seen regularly by the same shop were under a day. The Navion takes two days at least if you hustle (Takes about a half day each to open it up and put her back. It needs to be jacked and the gear tested, etc...

From what I remember when dad and I did annual/100 hr inspections, we planned for 12-14 hrs on a single engine plane. That time was dependent on the number of squawks found or given to us.

It depends on what the plane is and how they do it. If it's a larger, more complex plane that goes off-field to a solo mechanic, it could easily take a week -- more, even, for something like a medium twin. OTOH, if the FBO has its own certified repair station as its shop with a team of people to do the inspection, then it might even be done on a simple trainer in one day. Of course, that all assumes no significant repairs are needed, which could, depending on the nature of the repair, parts, and labor add days, weeks, or even months to the downtime.

everytime i want to book the airplane i want for couple times a month, this FBO i am with now, when the inspection has to be done, they have to block the airplane off the schedule for a week, that really suck because when the weather is been good here lately.

Depends upon the shop, the type of airplane, how busy the shop is with other customers.

Most trainers can typically be done in a day.

But often it is discovered that a part needs to be ordered..or a time consuming repair is discovered..etc..etc.

Most trainers can typically be done in a day.
...in a large shop with helpers available, yes. A single mechanic working alone? Not likely. Take a good look at this list:
Appendix D--Scope and Detail of Items (as Applicable to the Particular Aircraft) to be Included in Annual and 100-Hour Inspections

(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.
(b) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the fuselage and hull group:
(1) Fabric and skin--for deterioration, distortion, other evidence of failure, and defective or insecure attachment of fittings.
(2) Systems and components--for improper installation, apparent defects, and unsatisfactory operation.
(3) Envelope, gas bags, ballast tanks, and related parts--for poor condition.
(c) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the cabin and cockpit group:
(1) Generally--for uncleanliness and loose equipment that might foul the controls.
(2) Seats and safety belts--for poor condition and apparent defects.
(3) Windows and windshields--for deterioration and breakage.
(4) Instruments--for poor condition, mounting, marking, and (where practicable) improper operation.
(5) Flight and engine controls--for improper installation and improper operation.
(6) Batteries--for improper installation and improper charge.
(7) All systems--for improper installation, poor general condition, apparent and obvious defects, and insecurity of attachment.
(d) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) components of the engine and nacelle group as follows:
(1) Engine section--for visual evidence of excessive oil, fuel, or hydraulic leaks, and sources of such leaks.
(2) Studs and nuts--for improper torquing and obvious defects.
(3) Internal engine--for cylinder compression and for metal particles or foreign matter on screens and sump drain plugs. If there is weak cylinder compression, for improper internal condition and improper internal tolerances.
(4) Engine mount--for cracks, looseness of mounting, and looseness of engine to mount.
(5) Flexible vibration dampeners--for poor condition and deterioration.
(6) Engine controls--for defects, improper travel, and improper safetying.
(7) Lines, hoses, and clamps--for leaks, improper condition and looseness.
(8) Exhaust stacks--for cracks, defects, and improper attachment.
(9) Accessories--for apparent defects in security of mounting.
(10) All systems--for improper installation, poor general condition, defects, and insecure attachment.
(11) Cowling--for cracks, and defects.
(e) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the landing gear group:
(1) All units--for poor condition and insecurity of attachment.
(2) Shock absorbing devices--for improper oleo fluid level.
(3) Linkages, trusses, and members--for undue or excessive wear fatigue, and distortion.
(4) Retracting and locking mechanism--for improper operation.
(5) Hydraulic lines--for leakage.
(6) Electrical system--for chafing and improper operation of switches.
(7) Wheels--for cracks, defects, and condition of bearings.
(8) Tires--for wear and cuts.
(9) Brakes--for improper adjustment.
(10) Floats and skis--for insecure attachment and obvious or apparent defects.
(f) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) all components of the wing and center section assembly for poor general condition, fabric or skin deterioration, distortion, evidence of failure, and insecurity of attachment.
(g) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) all components and systems that make up the complete empennage assembly for poor general condition, fabric or skin deterioration, distortion, evidence of failure, insecure attachment, improper component installation, and improper component operation.
(h) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the propeller group:
(1) Propeller assembly--for cracks, nicks, binds, and oil leakage.
(2) Bolts--for improper torquing and lack of safetying.
(3) Anti-icing devices--for improper operations and obvious defects.
(4) Control mechanisms--for improper operation, insecure mounting, and restricted travel.
(i) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of the radio group:
(1) Radio and electronic equipment--for improper installation and insecure mounting.
(2) Wiring and conduits--for improper routing, insecure mounting, and obvious defects.
(3) Bonding and shielding--for improper installation and poor condition.
(4) Antenna including trailing antenna--for poor condition, insecure mounting, and improper operation.
(j) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) each installed miscellaneous item that is not otherwise covered by this listing for improper installation and improper operation.
...and see if you think that can all be done in one 8-hour work day by one person working alone, including opening everything up, buttoning it all up, and doing all the paperwork including checking for AD's. And don't forget the 91.207(d) ELT ops check, which isn't on this list but probably needs to be done, too, and an oil/filter change, which is also probably going to be done. Just the "thorough clean[ing]" (inside and out) could take an hour by itself.

When you deal with an FBO with a rental fleet they have requirements set fourth in the operating certificate we in general aviation do not have.

and it may be a simple case they must clear a spot in the maintenance hangar to get the aircraft in.

But a week off line for a Large FBO is actually pretty quick.

The paperwork need not GROUND the aircraft. It can be started while the plane is still in service. We regularly had the mechanic (working alone) finish a 172 in an 8-hour day (include oil change). On the Navion, even with three of us working on it, it took a couple of hours to put it back together after the annual (gosh darn inspection plate on each main gear must have 24 screws in it each).

When you deal with an FBO with a rental fleet they have requirements set fourth in the operating certificate we in general aviation do not have.
First, FBO rental fleets are general aviation operations. Second, there is no requirement for an operating certificate to operate a fleet of light rental aircraft. FBO rental fleets operate under the same maintenance and inspection regulations as the rest of us owner/pilots of Standard airworthiness category aircraft. While they have to do 100-hour inspections if they're also providing instruction in those rental planes or giving 91.147 sightseeing rides, so do the rest of us if we're doing that.

First, FBO rental fleets are general aviation operations. Second, there is no requirement for an operating certificate to operate a fleet of light rental aircraft. FBO rental fleets operate under the same maintenance and inspection regulations as the rest of us owner/pilots of Standard airworthiness category aircraft. While they have to do 100-hour inspections if they're also providing instruction in those rental planes or giving 91.147 sightseeing rides, so do the rest of us if we're doing that.

I was referring to a 141 school.

14 CFR 141.39 Aircraft.

(a) When the school's training facility is located within the U.S., an applicant for a pilot school certificate or provisional pilot school certificate must show that each aircraft used by the school for flight training and solo flights:
(1) Is a civil aircraft of the United States;
(2) Is certificated with a standard airworthiness certificate, a primary airworthiness certificate, or a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category unless the FAA determines otherwise because of the nature of the approved course;
(3) Is maintained and inspected in accordance with the requirements for aircraft operated for hire under part 91, subpart E, of this chapter;

(3) Is maintained and inspected in accordance with the requirements for aircraft operated for hire under part 91, subpart E, of this chapter;

so, sub part doesn't apply to aircraft on a rental fleet at a 141 school.

...in a large shop with helpers available, yes. A single mechanic working alone? Not likely.
Ron -- I never said there would only be one person working on it.

Ron -- I never said there would only be one person working on it.
OK, but you didn't say otherwise. I just didn't want anyone to get the idea that one can expect a 1-day turnaround on a light single unless there's a whole crew working on it (or you're getting a "walkaround" annual, and that's another story in itself).

Working alone I can knock out a Cessna progressive inspection in 5-6 hours on average. A full 100hr/annual was two days.

However as noted scheduling in fudge time in case repairs are needed and/or parts ordered is a good idea. It's easier to open the plane up early than to cancel all the scheduled flights.

Why do you believe that every thing in the rental fleets or owner operator, must happen under a FAR?

Have you ever actually seen any A&P-IA's check list? wouldn't the rental agency 141 or not have a check list that reflects their needs.

in your opinion would the A&P-IA's/DOM's check list be the same in the FBO's fleet as it would be for a private owners aircraft?

OBTW have you ever pulled an annual or 100 hour?

Why do you believe that every thing in the rental fleets or owner operator, must happen under a FAR?

Have you ever actually seen any A&P-IA's check list? wouldn't the rental agency 141 or not have a check list that reflects their needs.

You're making absolutely no sense (what's new? :dunno:).

What operating certificate are you referring to?

14 CFR 141.39 Aircraft.

(a) When the school's training facility is located within the U.S., an applicant for a pilot school certificate or provisional pilot school certificate must show that each aircraft used by the school for flight training and solo flights:
(1) Is a civil aircraft of the United States;
(2) Is certificated with a standard airworthiness certificate, a primary airworthiness certificate, or a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category unless the FAA determines otherwise because of the nature of the approved course;
so, sub part doesn't apply to aircraft on a rental fleet at a 141 school.

You were asked to explain how this is so, yet no answer. :dunno:

OK, enlighten the readers here.

in your opinion would the A&P-IA's/DOM's check list be the same in the FBO's fleet as it would be for a private owners aircraft?

Since Part 141 specifically spells out
Is maintained and inspected in accordance with the requirements for aircraft operated for hire under part 91, subpart E, of this chapter;
Then the answer is "yes". BTW, under 14 CFR Part 141 there isn't any "DOM" required. An ordinary A&P/IA can maintain the rental fleet.

Last edited:
OK, but you didn't say otherwise. I just didn't want anyone to get the idea that one can expect a 1-day turnaround on a light single unless there's a whole crew working on it (or you're getting a "walkaround" annual, and that's another story in itself).

No one ever insinuated that the annual wasn't not done properly.

the FBO in question has never been addressed, They could be anything from a 1 person shop, like I was when I had 3 aircraft that could be rented, to a large training school, with a few dozen repairmen doing the work.

A large shop could put 10 repairmen on a PA 28 and turn it around in 1 shift. and the aircraft could be back in service over night.

and to add most shops of the kind have their own parts department and stock the parts they need.

Making a blanket statement of how long any annual requires is only a guess on the uninformed posters part.

A 141 school and "an FBO with a rental fleet" (your original words) are hardly synonymous.

SO-? what's the point?

did you assume that those who read these pages are too stupid to know what I meant?

or are you simply nit picking?

SO-? what's the point?

did you assume that those who read these pages are too stupid to know what I meant?

or are you simply nit picking?
The point is that what you wrote wasn't even close to true, and I don't think pointing that out to the other folks reading your posts is "nit-picking." Either that, or I'm one of those who read these pages who is too stupid to know that when you say "FBO with a rental fleet" you really mean "a flight school with a Part 141 certificate." Either way, it doesn't matter, because a Part 141 school's maintenance requirements are the same as anyone who owns and operates a similar aircraft under Part 91, with the exception of the requirement for 100-hour inspections.

And I agree with R&W that your last few posts on this thread make no sense at all. Time for another fishing trip, I think, because I believe you need a break.

Last edited:
The point is that what you wrote wasn't even close to true, and I don't think pointing that out to the other folks reading your posts is "nit-picking." Either that, or I'm one of those who read these pages who is too stupid to know that when you say "FBO with a rental fleet" you really mean "a flight school with a Part 141 certificate." Either way, it doesn't matter, because a Part 141 school's maintenance requirements are the same as anyone who owns and operates a similar aircraft under Part 91, with the exception of the requirement for 100-hour inspections.

And I agree with R&W that your last few posts on this thread make no sense at all. Time for another fishing trip, I think, because I believe you need a break.

What ever Ron.

I forgot you are the expert in all aviation matters

...and the idiot savant says "That's not right....it only takes 100hours for the first one and a year for the second one":D

OK, enlighten the readers here.

Since Part 141 specifically spells out
Then the answer is "yes". BTW, under 14 CFR Part 141 there isn't any "DOM" required. An ordinary A&P/IA can maintain the rental fleet.

That's is correct, but the 141 school may not be the maintenance facility doing the inspections required. they may be in the same building but operating under different certificates. (School141/ vs /CRS.)

The answers all your questions are knowing the difference between a requirement and a regulation, you don't seem to know who sets the requirements of an annual or 100 hours, which are required by FAR 91 and 43

A clue to who must set that requirement, will be in far 43

Plus when you showed us the requirements for issuance of a flight school you proved that the certificate does require the maintenance but, you forgot to tell us that was the minimum requirement and the issuing inspector has the ability to add to that.

I don't expect Ron to know maintenance rules, but I would any FSDO airworthiness inspector.

And for those who doubt this, ask your selves this simple question, would you want the inspector to inspect your aircraft in the same way the Emory Riddle has their aircraft inspected?

Last edited:
...and the idiot savant says "That's not right....it only takes 100hours for the first one and a year for the second one":D

I have one annual that was in progress for well over 4 years. it ain't done yet.

Please show me that in FAA guidance.

And I would expect any competent A&P with an IA designation to understand the regulations as they apply to aircraft maintenance, something you don't seem to grasp.

You probably haven't figured out that most all of the operation and maintenance certificates are negotiated by the FAA and the requesting agency.

you probably couldn't down load that info. So.....>

I do understand who sets the requirements of an annual. and it isn't the FAA.

What does this statement mean to you?

"(c) Annual and 100-hour inspections. (1) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall use a checklist while performing the inspection. The checklist may be of the person's own design, one provided by the manufacturer of the equipment being inspected or one obtained from another source. This checklist must include the scope and detail of the items contained in appendix D to this part and paragraph (b) of this section. "

What does this statement mean to you?

"(c) Annual and 100-hour inspections. (1) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall use a checklist while performing the inspection. The checklist may be of the person's own design, one provided by the manufacturer of the equipment being inspected or one obtained from another source. This checklist must include the scope and detail of the items contained in appendix D to this part and paragraph (b) of this section. "

You need to read the line that says "The checklist MUST include the SCOPE and DETAIL of the ITEMS contained in appendix D to this part and paragraph (b) of this section"

You've once again managed to twist this thread away from your obvious fabrications.

For those of you who are still following this thread creep, I am the person (A&P-IA) that sets the requirements of the annuals I do, as does every A&P-IA in the industry.

And those are the requirements that I referred to when Ron and Rotor took exception and tried to turn this thread into a regulations issue.

Each and every A&P-IA or DOM that complies with a 100 hour or an annual when inspecting a rental fleet has tweaked their check list to fit their requirements, of both real wear and usage issues.

Real life issues in the real world of Aviation Seems to escape some.

You need to read the line that says "The checklist MUST include the SCOPE and DETAIL of the ITEMS contained in appendix D to this part and paragraph (b) of this section"

You've once again managed to twist this thread away from your obvious fabrications.

And where in any of my replies did I say the list wouldn't contain the requirements of 43-D?

Fabrications? is that like trying to make FAR 91 apply to the subject? When FAR 43 is where the requirements come from.

I posted the FAR you quoted so every one could look it up and see how really far off the knowledge base you really are.

The only thing you have gotten right in this whole thread is that any one can maintain a rental fleet. But what never occurred to you was that the A&P-IAs can taylor their inspections to fit the needs of the Fleet owner or private owner, you simply jump on the idea that Requirements are regulations, and that is simply not true.

The A&P-IA can require certain service bulletins be complied with, and wear limits on tires be set so that they will last the entire next 12 months, and set the inspection requirements to meet the needs of the customer be it a fleet or not.

That idea never occurred to you simply because you aren't aware we can do these things, nor have you demonstrated the knowledge of how the FARs are applied to the real world of every day operations.

so, yea , they usually get it done about 2 days, unless they find stuff on the plane that takes more time to do it or have to wait on parts if there is a replacement on certain stuff. they I have been reviewing the mx log book , usually they have 1 mechanic sign off the 100hr inspection , and they told me they have 2 persons working on the plane. this place have their own maintenance

so, yea , they usually get it done about 2 days, unless they find stuff on the plane that takes more time to do it or have to wait on parts if there is a replacement on certain stuff. they I have been reviewing the mx log book , usually they have 1 mechanic sign off the 100hr inspection , and they told me they have 2 persons working on the plane. this place have their own maintenance
Remember, finding stuff Is the inspection, repairing the stuff they find is not a part of the inspection.

when a 150/172/182 has been properly prepared for the inspection I can inspect it IAW FAR 43-D in less than 4 hours.
There is nothing in the FAR that requires the inspector to do any maintenance during the inspection.

100 hours and annuals have the same scope...just an IA is needed to sign off an annual...so they should take the same amount of time.....a week sounds like a shop doing this in pieces....if one has a good squawk list and parts ordered before the inspection just about anything can be done in a few days...I own 2 trainers and they average about a day for an inspection..(engine in the morning, airframe after lunch ) but unforeseen parts that aren't around can be the Achilles heel...

Last edited:
Parts should be there by 10 am the next morning. We order at 6pm central time from California.

100 hours and annuals have the same scope...just an IA is needed to sign off an annual...so they should take the same amount of time.....a week sounds like a shop doing this in pieces....if one has a good squawk list and parts ordered before the inspection just about anything can be done in a few days...I own 2 trainers and they average about a day for an inspection..(engine in the morning, airframe after lunch ) but unforeseen parts that aren't around can be the Achilles heel...

Parts should be there by 10 am the next morning. We order at 6pm central time from California.

When I arrive at your hangar to find your Cessna single engine aircraft washed, on jacks with the wheels removed, the bearings cleaned and ready for inspection, the panels open, cowling off, the spark plugs out, (cleaned and ready to go back in) I can tell in about 2 minutes if you can put the wheels back on, while you are doing that, I can inspect the interior, do the seat track AD, in about 10 minutes.

Then I move on to the wings, fuselage, and tail group another 20 minutes. The engine takes about 30 minutes to inspect and do the compression test, inspect the oil filter you should have open and ready to look at.

After that I give you the discrepancy list, do the AD compliance, and tell you to close it up, and call me when you are ready to do the annual engine run.

When I get the call, I return to your hangar, do the run and if every thing is good to go I sign the annual off as airworthy, if we have further repairs to do and you want your A&P to do them, I'm good with the unairworthy sign off and you can do as you like.

When I arrive at your hangar to find your Cessna single engine aircraft washed, on jacks with the wheels removed, the bearings cleaned and ready for inspection, the panels open, cowling off, the spark plugs out, (cleaned and ready to go back in) I can tell in about 2 minutes if you can put the wheels back on, while you are doing that, I can inspect the interior, do the seat track AD, in about 10 minutes.

Then I move on to the wings, fuselage, and tail group another 20 minutes. The engine takes about 30 minutes to inspect and do the compression test, inspect the oil filter you should have open and ready to look at.

After that I give you the discrepancy list, do the AD compliance, and tell you to close it up, and call me when you are ready to do the annual engine run.

When I get the call, I return to your hangar, do the run and if every thing is good to go I sign the annual off as airworthy, if we have further repairs to do and you want your A&P to do them, I'm good with the unairworthy sign off and you can do as you like.

A man after my own heart except I expect to see fresh grease stains where you packed the bearings and put the wheels back on. Keeps the grease stains off the rest of the airplane, don'cha know, from greasy fingers.

Jim

Back