How good is your scan?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Start your timer... NOW.

Look at the photo. You're IFR, level at FL180. Is there a problem? What do you do about it?

How long does it take you to spot the issue (if there is one)?

Troy Whistman said:
Start your timer... NOW.

Look at the photo. You're IFR, level at FL180. Is there a problem? What do you do about it?

Is it the engine moniter?

One bar on the engine analyzer is down...exhaust temp?

Troy Whistman said:
Start your timer... NOW.

Looks like you are at 16,000, not 18,000. That could be an issue ;)

Plus whats that one bar on the engine monitor ?

SJP said:
Looks like you are at 16,000, not 18,000. That could be an issue ;)

Plus whats that one bar on the engine monitor ?

Good job, Steve. You caught both. I figured most would see the cool cylinder. Are you losing an engine?? I don't know... could be a bad probe.

Troy Whistman said:
Good job, Steve. You caught both. I figured most would see the cool cylinder. Are you losing an engine?? I don't know... could be a bad probe.

Off course according to the HSI but that's no big deal unless he's using it for primary nav. He's on the pink line on the Garmin.

Seems like that one cylinder is way cool. Are those EGTs or CHTs?

On my initial scan, I caught the altimeter quickly (way less than 30 sec) and checked the VSI to see if we were descending. Also, airspeed showed none either. The altimeter setting, I'm afraid I couldn't read at all (can any of you?). I missed the engine monitor bar, but in my defense, this isn't a panel I'm used to (or even really familiar with). And besides, I sort of stopped looking for something wrong after the altimeter (once I confirmed we weren't diving). And I had flat tire. I was sick. And my dog ate my homework...... ;)

The GEM is indicating very low EGT and normal CHT on cylinder #4 of the right engine on your Baron. Either this condition has just started, you're getting pre-ignition in that cyl, or the probe is dying. Usually probes don't die this way they open completely generating a probe error (at least on a JPI).

I can't really tell if the altimeter is reading 16,000 or 18,000 nor can I see the altimeter setting so it's hard to say if you have a problem there. The red display above the altimeter reads 16,000 but I assume that's an antitude pre-select for the autopilot which could legitimately be set to a different altitude than the current one. I also can't see much on the EHSI.

lancefisher said:
The GEM is indicating very low EGT and normal CHT on cylinder #4 of the right engine on your Baron. Either this condition has just started, you're getting pre-ignition in that cyl, or the probe is dying. Usually probes don't die this way they open completely generating a probe error (at least on a JPI).

I can't really tell if the altimeter is reading 16,000 or 18,000 nor can I see the altimeter setting so it's hard to say if you have a problem there. The red display above the altimeter reads 16,000 but I assume that's an antitude pre-select for the autopilot which could legitimately be set to a different altitude than the current one. I also can't see much on the EHSI.

Thanks for the clarification on what the GEM Engine Analyzer is showing.

Good call that it's a Baron... but it's not MY Baron. I found this picture on a dealer's page touting their Baron rebuilds. The Engine Analyzer was what jumped out at me first. Anybody know whether Elite Air Center has a good reputation in the Beech community for their Beech overhauls??

http://www.eliteaircenter.com/beech_pages/64BK.html

lancefisher said:

I've had at least 2 TIT/EGT probes go out this way on my JPI....

cool quiz! I nominate Troy to make the daily quiz that poa managment speaks of!

wsuffa said:
I've had at least 2 TIT/EGT probes go out this way on my JPI....

Which way Bill? I've also lost two over the last 15 or so years and both went completely open. The engine monitor then displayed an error on startup as well as removing the affected bar completely. I have seen old Alcor probes start to read a few hundred low on the connected analog gauge.

lancefisher said:
Which way Bill? I've also lost two over the last 15 or so years and both went completely open. The engine monitor then displayed an error on startup as well as removing the affected bar completely. I have seen old Alcor probes start to read a few hundred low on the connected analog gauge.

I've had a 5 or 6 JPI probes go bad. Most of them open. I had one that started up fine with the monitor, then it jumped around in-flight - occasionally hitting full scale. It did that a few times, then I pulled it and the new probe was fine. I have a primary TIT gauge, and this probe was the secondary. No change on the primary. One of the cylinder probes did the same thing, but it opened after 2-3 flights. One shorted. Same batch of probes. Go figure.

You folks are worried about trivia like 2000' off altitude, maybe off course, perhaps a cylinder or probe going south? What's wrong with you? From the angle of the photo he's outside banging on the window begging to be let back inside. Have a heart--at 18,000' (or even 16,000') it's cold outside.

The problem was obvious to me the instant I opened the photo...I'm in someone else's airplane!

Back