How does this happen?

I got 15% off my last purchase. Still wasn't as cheap as the SS, but the fuel pump was on the other end of the airport and I didn't want to have to risk doing a hot start.

It's the hardest part of flying a Bonanza. What works in mine:

1) Mixture - Cut off
2) Throttle - Full
3) Pump - run for 60 seconds

Then,
4) Mixture back to full
5) Throttle to idle plus a turn or 2
6) Attempt start (typically works 80% of the time)

If it doesn't start, I assume 1st it is flooded as over priming will result in an hour coffee break (or stack fire)... so, continuing:

7) Do another 30-60 second fuel circulation with Mixture cutoff, Throttle Full
8) Try start (with mixture cutoff and throttle full)
9) As soon as it hits, go full rich and idle throttle

That usually gets the other 50% of cases where steps 1-6 didn't start.

If it still didn't start, it's now safe to assume it didn't get enough fuel.... Continuing on:

10) Another 30-60 seconds of fuel circulation, Mixture Cutoff, Throttle Full
11) Mixture Full Rich
12) Throttle Full
13) Boost pump for 3-4 seconds
14) Throttle to Idle plus a turn or two
15) Start

I rarely make it past step 6. However, I've never have gotten to step 15 and not achieved a start / have never had to take an unplanned coffee break.

Credit to Mike Busch for helping me zeroing-in on the above...

The funny thing is most places when I ask "what's your price for 100 gallons?" or more, I always get a break. Most FBOs will negotiate on fuel price, especially if you're nice.

Thanks for the tip... never thought of trying that.

Forget the damage to the plane, damage absorbs energy. When you're crashing what you want to consider is how to best absorb most of the energy, the gear typically does a good job at that as it rips off and crushes.

He isn't kidding. In my accident the right gear got sheared off by the top of a shopping cart coral in the flare and the nose gear got sheared off by the parking lot curb. Walked away no injuries (plane totaled). The most important thing in any crash is try and retain control of the airplane. That + shoulder belts will give you a very high chance of surviablity.

Attachments

• 09-30262 076.jpg
    09-30262 076.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Well, you do have a point there!

The internet is not a good place for human discussion imo, because only about 25% or maybe less of what a person is all about comes through with grammatical errors, structure, and syntax mistakes and no body language.

It's very hard to relate to persons on this thing. :rolleyes2:

Confusion will ensue ...

Back