How do you identify your airplane on the radio?

The summary is "That airplane was born Sugar Pop, and it's going to die Sugar Pop!" :)

Aha! I didn't know S was Sugar before... All I knew was that B was Baker because we had a guy at MWC when I worked there who always called in "Baker Charlie".

:rofl: No, I've been thinking of things that are far more mundane. Like "Dog 1" etc.

Well, in that case, I re-state my recommendation of "Furball." :D

Wow, I like that 303. The front has kind of a Duke look to it. Trailing link mains too.

Yeah, it does look nice - Too bad it's not pressurized, that'd make it a pretty nice small charter airplane.

No airline uses the callsign "Commuter". You're thinking of CommutAir. They fly Q400's, primarily out of Cleveland, IIRC.

Well, in the list there's "Commuter" (Japan), "Commuter-Canada" and "CommuteAir."

Either way, I've heard what sounds exactly like "Commuter" on the radio plenty - and I don't think someone needs to call their 150 "Commuter." "Cessna" works just fine. When you call in as "Cessna" and the datablock says "C150" the controller knows exactly what's up. If you call in as "Commuter" they may have to look for a minute. Since the purpose of the radio is communication, and the right information is communicated better in this case with "Cessna" I would call a 150 "Cessna" on the radio.

Some fun call signs out there... Waterski, Cactus, Citrus, Dot Com, Aero Clinker. I hope they're not "AFreight" of their cargo!

Ted, you'll be happy to know that Dog, Puppy, Furball, and Flatulence are all available. ;) "AirCat" and "AirGoat" are both taken though!

Either way, I've heard what sounds exactly like "Commuter" on the radio plenty - and I don't think someone needs to call their 150 "Commuter." "Cessna" works just fine.

Perhaps they need a callsign for:

"I'm going to be in your sector for a VERY long time... grab a lunch, I'll still be here!" :eek:

Just kidding C-150 drivers...

Perhaps they need a callsign for:

"I'm going to be in your sector for a VERY long time... grab a lunch, I'll still be here!"

Last year when flying the Chief through PIT Class Bravo, heard this on my handheld:

"Chief 286, slow mover your one o'clock, 5 miles and 3500...."

Now that was a first!

Last year when flying the Chief through PIT Class Bravo, heard this on my handheld:

"Chief 286, slow mover your one o'clock, 5 miles and 3500...."

Now that was a first!

What was it, a powered parachute??? :D

Slow mover compared to a Chief? Musta been one of them Canada Geese squawking 1200. ;)

Though, on my way back to MSN one day in the 182 I was asked to slow down for a Learjet ahead of me on final. :crazy:

I asked if it was the Fuji (Met Life? I forget which) blimp (in the area for Steeler's game) but PIT APP said "Can't tell. It looks like he's descending."

Hey now, we (metlife) aren't that slow. I could run 45-50 knots all day if I wanted to. It would involve making lots of noise and burning tons of fuel, but it can be done. Much better to just cruise around at 30 or so and enjoy the ride.

I'm "Galactic president superstar Mc Awesomeville". (nod to HIMYM)

I flew into Cheyenne, Wyoming once in a Grumman Tiger. The FBO, tracking me on Flightware, only saw "Grumman". They told me they were expecting me to be a Gulfstream.....ha.

My Tiger IS a Gulfstream... the FAA says so.

Hey now, we (metlife) aren't that slow. I could run 45-50 knots all day if I wanted to. It would involve making lots of noise and burning tons of fuel, but it can be done. Much better to just cruise around at 30 or so and enjoy the ride.
Have you flown out of solberg (N51?)

I personally have not. I'm only been on the operation for a few weeks, but I do know that the blimp does use that field.

(gnashing teeth)

Blimps. Instrument students flying the VOR approach. Gliders. GET OFFA MY PORCH AND OUTTA MY PATTERN!!!

Solberg can be messy on a summer afternoon!

This from one of those hotshots flying fancy, leather-upholstered planes.

Me, I call in as "Malibu" because nobody knows what a Matrix is. Sometimes ATC calls me a Meridian, which is fine if I'm looking for a higher altitude (in these parts, piston is a four-letter word if you're trying to go above 9k), but I correct them if I think the misunderstanding will result in a slam-dunk approach. :wink2:

(gnashing teeth)

Blimps. Instrument students flying the VOR approach. Gliders. GET OFFA MY PORCH AND OUTTA MY PATTERN!!!

No gliders at ONZ. But it is popular with the blimp set.

Gotta love those guys who announce on CTAF that they are on the VOR-A approch. Like anyone knows where that is...

(gnashing teeth)

Solberg can be messy on a summer afternoon!:

I will keep that in mind, when I end up there in Solberg.

I kinda want to say "Skyhawk blah blah" instead of "Cessna blah blah" but I suppose it's all the same.

Last edited:
Q: How do I identify my airplane on the radio?

A: I listen for her voice! (cue rimshot)

Back