How Do You Find Out WHO is Hosting a Web Site?

K

KennyFlys

My FBO has a web site that was created three years ago. It's www.flyconroe.com.

The guy who created it is long gone and one of my duties is to deal with that site and come up with something current and suitable for the FBO and flight training.

The problem is, we have no clue how the site was paid for, where it's hosted, nuttin'! Obviously, it was paid for either several year up front or someone is getting charged annually or monthly. The funny thing is... it's not coming out of our pocket!

So, how do you find out what service is hosting a site? How do you go about getting control of it? Or, at least shut it down and get use of the domain name.

Registration Service Provided By: RegistryDomains.com
Visit: http://registrydomains.com

Domain name: flyconroe.com

Registrant Contact:
NA
NA Pro-Claim (mgirgenti@ytscorp.com)
+1.
Fax:
Po Box 173
Conroe, TX 77305
US

Administrative Contact:
NA
Matt Girgenti (mgirgenti@ytscorp.com)
+1.9367881971
Fax: +1.6039491058
PO Box 173
Conroe, TX 77305
US

Technical Contact:
NA
Matt Girgenti (mgirgenti@ytscorp.com)
+1.9367881971
Fax: +1.6039491058
PO Box 173
Conroe, TX 77305
US

Name Servers:
ns13.ixwebhosting.com
ns14.ixwebhosting.com

Creation date: 30 Sep 2000 04:22:17
Expiration date: 30 Sep 2008 04:22:17
=-=-=-=
The data in this whois database is provided to you for information
purposes only, that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or
related to a domain name registration record. We make this information
available "as is," and do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a
whois query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful
purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to: (1)
enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that stress or load
this whois database system providing you this information; or (2) allow,
enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic
mail, or by telephone. The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or
other use of this data is expressly prohibited without prior written
consent from us.

We reserve the right to modify these terms at any time. By submitting
this query, you agree to abide by these terms.
Version 6.3 4/3/2002

Hope that helps

It's not the web site you need to worry about, it's the domain name. You have to contact that company and convince them you are legitimately authorized to take over the name.

If they give you any garf, just create a new name and site and make sure YOU are the administrative, etc contact for it. The only reason you might have to fight for it is if they have that name on printed materials or a lot of customers know about it. If not, let the old contcact choke on it.

Try http://namecheap.com STAY AWAY from Go Daddy.

Last edited:
I use GoDaddy..Even though they are a little bit evil. Ever have a domain with a registrar to find out that they just disappeared? It sucks. The one thing that I can be sure of is that Go Daddy won't disappear tomorrow.

GoDaddy does have some web hosting policies I don't agree with--but I don't use them for web hosting.

I use GoDaddy..Even though they are a little bit evil. Ever have a domain with a registrar to find out that they just disappeared? It sucks. The one thing that I can be sure of is that Go Daddy won't disappear tomorrow.

GoDaddy does have some web hosting policies I don't agree with--but I don't use them for web hosting.

They also have an aggravating UI that keeps trying to push crap on you, and they're know to just kill your domain if any random mouth breather says you're spamming, and then telling you it'll be $50 ($250?) to get it back.

And policies like if you change your contact info you're locked to them for 6 months - because they can.

They give you private domain service for free for one year then make it so you need an act of congress to not get it at full price at renewal.

I have lots of names at GoDaddy which I'm moving as I can attend to it.

They also have an aggravating UI that keeps trying to push crap on you, and they're know to just kill your domain if any random mouth breather says you're spamming, and then telling you it'll be $50 ($250?) to get it back.
Example? I'm not sure how shutting down a domain is going to do **** to fight spam.

And policies like if you change your contact info you're locked to them for 6 months - because they can.
Try 60 days and GoDaddy isn't the only company to do it. I've had a number of different registrars do it. ICAN released a policy on this last month specifically stating registrars can't do it. I'm not sure if the registrars are listening yet.
mikea said:
They give you private domain service for free for one year then make it so you need an act of congress to not get it at full price at renewal.
They give you DNS service for a year and then want money for it someday? Those bastards! :rolleyes:
mikea said:
I have lots of names at GoDaddy which I'm moving as I can attend to it.
I have been moving all my domain names to GoDaddy from Yahoo. They are a *HELL* of a lot better than Yahoo.

BTW, I meant http://namecheap.com although I just tried the other one for a name. :redface: I may be transferring it right away.

I remembered there were a lot of good comments for namecheap on Slashdot on the last GoDaddy news scandal..I just didn't remember the name right.

I got two domains registered at godaddy for under $90 for 5 years. Of course, I don't want to see the renewal fee.... EVER!
satuit.info Check it out.

Back